C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How can you tell if a car is a real big block?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I hear you Mike... and I am not being antagonistic...

There are some folks that would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on cars that "the experts" tell them is an "original, from the factory, Big Block Car"... right? We can agree on at least THAT much.... ?

AND
There are folks even on this forum, that wouldn't **** on the same car, even if it was on Fire!

Any cars value, Real or Clone, is only what somebody is willing to pay. TRADITIONALLY, the most money goes to those cars who has some sort of documentation or pedigree. Its why Bloomington, Top Flight, etc etc.. usually garner more than similar cars without.

I don't make the rules... that is just the way it is.

And yes, a car that was an Original BB car, was totaled, and resurrected from the dead will usually be worth more than a car that had the Total'd BB cars' parts put on it.

I am not making this up... its just what it is. Is it fair? I dunno. I can't afford a clone or an Original BB... I just want to drive man...
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan

There are some folks that would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on cars that "the experts" tell them is an "original, from the factory, Big Block Car"... right? We can agree on at least THAT much.... ?

I am not making this up... its just what it is. Is it fair? I dunno. I can't afford a clone or an Original BB... I just want to drive man...
Okay, I hang my head in shame about the clones I have created out of good, usable OEM parts and will walk away!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

I don't know why you are upset with me.... make clones til your hearts content.

Call them Original Big Block Cars....

Paint em' pink if it makes you happy. You said you didn't understand
I am still mightily confused. Help me out. If it runs the same, looks the same and has all the OEM associated parts on the car, why is it worth any less than what some like to call a real one?
and I was trying to help you understand... thats all.

shessh.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Default What more is there to say...

Originally Posted by MikeM
What is the difference between a factory installed BB and a nicely faked BB other than somebody's perceived notion of value?

They both run the same, sound the same, look the same. What's up?
It's a Fake!!!

I am still mightily confused. Help me out. If it runs the same, looks the same and has all the OEM associated parts on the car, why is it worth any less than what some like to call a real one?

'ppears to me, the value is in the product, not in someone's fantasy?
It's a Fake!!!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Look... I can understand the time and effort that goes into Restoring a car, or even creating a "fake" big block. There has been a bit of a discussion about how even the resto-mods are the new top dog/ in thing as far as Corvette Pricing....

If you spend XX000 hours building a car, you have to be compensated for your time and effort, I am not taking that away from anybody. So, if you mean, hey, I've got $164,000 into making this 67' 435 Clone... and that is what you wanna charge for it

DO iT.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Because you have no docs to prove it to be an original BB car. No docs, no proof.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:41 AM
catpat8000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars have no inherent value. Their value derives entirely from others desiring them. It's why a 67 BB is worth more than a 64 SB with a powerglide.

You seem surprised that collectors want originality. Why is an original Piccaso worth more than a fake? Why is a real Rolex worth $10K and a fake worth $100?

It's just the way it is.

Pat
Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

no-offense but...
*unsubscribed*
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by catpat8000

These cars have no inherent value. Pat
So you and others think one of these over restored, restamped trailer queens represents originality eh? I am no longer confused about where you and others are coming from.

I am so humiliated! I think I will take my unworthy cars and lock them in a garage and never let them be seen in public again lest I take a chance on them diluting the Corvette gene pool.

Show me a car with original paint, original body parts, original glass, original drivetrain parts etc. and I'll show you a car that has some value PLUS quite a lot of character!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Work's busy, but I've been wanting to respond, re: MikeM's counter

A C2 Corvette that has the born with parts cannot be replicated.

A C2 Corvette that has been re-built after the fact(ory), can be replicated over and over with OEM parts available.

Why is gold worth more than other abundant metals like iron? People like iron, use it for lots of stuff and it's used far more than gold. But people pay extra for rarity because only some can get it, not all. If there are 100,000 millionaires in the US, only a couple can get a 1967 L88 if it's for sale. And they'll pay to get it.

I love newly built classics, but I can find way more of them to buy than an original.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Revfan
I don't know why you are upset with me.... make clones til your hearts content.

Call them Original Big Block Cars....

Paint em' pink if it makes you happy. You said you didn't understand

and I was trying to help you understand... thats all.

shessh.
He's "pulling your chain" - and enjoying doing so....................

Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ifitgoesfast

A C2 Corvette that has the born with parts cannot be replicated.

A C2 Corvette that has been re-built after the fact(ory), can be replicated over and over with OEM parts available.

Poppycock to #1!

Poppycock to #2! If it's rebuilt it's not even as original as building a clone out of OEM used parts. A replacement part is just that. A replacement. Not original line fed production part.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Poppycock to #1!

Poppycock to #2! If it's rebuilt it's not even as original as building a clone out of OEM used parts. A replacement part is just that. A replacement. Not original line fed production part.

Nice straw man

#1 You can only be born once in a lifetime

#2 Given the technology after the fact, your clone can be replicated infinitely

Which is more valuable? Your argument is a value judgment. The market decides.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by StingU2
It has a BB hood.
Not always, it could be a small block. Dont forget that in late February of 1967, a screwdriver-like tool fell into the mold......well you know the rest of the story.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Nice straw man

#1 You can only be born once in a lifetime

#2 Given the technology after the fact, your clone can be replicated infinitely

Which is more valuable? Your argument is a value judgment. The market decides.

There are too many of you guys that are eaten up with selling (market). Many people place a value on "keeping". What do I care about the market and which one is a better deal? The buyer decides.

The trick to the whole show is pay for what you're getting, not what you think you're getting. If you pay for what you're getting and it suits you vs paying for something you thought you got and got screwed, well.......................

PS. Is a Renoir that has been touched up/repaired still original? Just askin'.

Last edited by MikeM; 01-31-2013 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mary C (10-29-2017)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
corvette67jim
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do I care about the market and which one is a better deal? The buyer decides.
You are finally correct about something.The buyer does decide the value and real original big block cars bring much more money from those buyers than the clone cars do.In fact the higher values of those cars inflate the value of those cars that are clones.Do you really think that a nice clone big block would bring even $50K if the real cars were not selling for $100K
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

MikeM is one of those guys who instead of swatting flies likes to catch them and rip off their wings, then drop them in a jar just to watch them spin around endlessly until they die. The jar sits next to his pc. The soft buzzing helps him think up his next retort to whatever mind games he happens to be playing at that moment.....

Get notified of new replies

To How can you tell if a car is a real big block?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 65hihp
MikeM is one of those guys who instead of swatting flies likes to catch them and rip off their wings, then drop them in a jar just to watch them spin around endlessly until they die.
I am just trying to get a handle on things here. Here was my original question which has yet to be answered except for few vague remarks about documentation and such:

"What is the difference between a factory installed BB and a nicely faked BB other than somebody's perceived notion of value?

They both run the same, sound the same, look the same. What's up?"

This question must be pretty hard as it has yet to be answered. Maybe if you have the docs, you can ram yer nose a little higher in the air, eh?

Also see post #6 while you're at it. I never mentioned anything about the selling/buying price. Matter of fact, I made an exception of price (I guess nobody noticed) and then people like you went crazy!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

There are too many of you guys that are eaten up with selling (market). Many people place a value on "keeping". What do I care about the market and which one is a better deal? The buyer decides.

The trick to the whole show is pay for what you're getting, not what you think you're getting. If you pay for what you're getting and it suits you vs paying for something you thought you got and got screwed, well.......................

PS. Is a Renoir that has been touched up/repaired still original? Just askin'.
OK, let's play...

Imagine you married a woman, love of your life, high school sweetheart and all the history. When she was born, she had all her original parts, but much later in life she decided to get some cosmetic upgrades. Is she 100% original? Probably not, but she's mostly. So what is she? Well, she was born a female. There were many females born, but she's the one you like. Was she born a blonde? Probably not, but she looks good, doesn't she.

Now, imagine for some odd reason, less and less females are around. So in our imaginary world, they begin rebuilding males to look, sound, and operate like females, maybe even more feminine than born females. Hey, maybe you like them better....

But your girl is an original.
The following users liked this post:
Mary C (10-29-2017)
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

OK, let's play...

Imagine you married a woman, love of your life, high school sweetheart and all the history. When she was born, she had all her original parts, but much later in life she decided to get some cosmetic upgrades. Is she 100% original? Probably not, but she's mostly. So what is she? Well, she was born a female. There were many females born, but she's the one you like. Was she born a blonde? Probably not, but she looks good, doesn't she.

Now, imagine for some odd reason, less and less females are around. So in our imaginary world, they begin rebuilding males to look, sound, and operate like females, maybe even more feminine than born females. Hey, maybe you like them better....

But your girl is an original.
This is just too good to pass up! I think your analogy is flawed. It's more like this - was she born with big "blocks" originally, or had them added later.......... After all, she still has the same original chassis!

As to rebuilding to look, sound, and operate the same, that's more like taking a Malibu frame and adding one of those after market C2 body conversion kits - and they even come with a trunk to put things in.

As to whether you like it or not, I guess that's a matter of individual taste............... Apparently, most (me included) don't, as the market demand is low!

Quick Reply: How can you tell if a car is a real big block?