C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Borgeson Problem, looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 AM
Kyle_25
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

firstgear- the column is telescopic, for the picture the shaft is simply pushed forward to the box to get an idea of where it lines up in relation to the box shaft.

I'm not looking to make a big deal about it, although it would have been nice to have a better experience with them (I felt like I was constantly on the defense).

427Hotrod- yes, I cut the column out of the car. Your install looks great btw.

6T7L71CPE- also possible, I did shim the box to move it away from the frame. This could have been due to damage or loose tolerances in the fixture when it was straightened.

66since71- good call, I'll have to go check my car and verify your hypothesis. But the idea makes sense, if they HAD to change the angle to get the thing to fit AND avoid interference, then it is what it is. But if it is as simple as that, it would've been nice to hear from the beginning.

I'm calling the issue dead. A vibration-damping U-joint will solve the problem and get me back on the road.

I know a LOT of guys have spoken up and said they're really happy with their Borgeson units so I'm looking forward to trying mine.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:20 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

A little off topic but i noticed on the picture of your 64 the proportion valve.
Do you have disc brakes on all 4 wheels or just the front?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:25 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, what timing. I've been seriously considering this as a very near future update to my '64 as well, BUT I am now seriously concerned and waiting for how the Borgeson folks will ultimately handle this.

I've been through several extremely frustrating, and similar, incidents just like this lately. 'Some' vendors handle it as Professionals, and others handle it very Non-Professionally.

I'm starting to lean one way. So far I hear that OP has provided pictures with mulitple calls, and the response happens to be that of the typical 'Offshore' brand....."We've sold and had many installed without incident" does not boad well for making future Customers, in my opinion.

This to me is when a company either makes or breaks future sales, by getting out from behind the desk and actually having to work a little bit to fully understand.....I'm very curious to see how or even if they will help resolve this.

RK

Last edited by RoadKing96; 08-26-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:03 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSaint
A little off topic but i noticed on the picture of your 64 the proportion valve.
Do you have disc brakes on all 4 wheels or just the front?
That's not a proportioning valve - it's a '67 distribution block - it has no valving function at all.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:34 AM
kskid
Racer

Think I would get my money back and just buy a regular box from a vendor. You should not have to work at making it fit.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,896 Likes on 924 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

That whole frame straightening deal is a little concerning. When a C2 or C3 gets whacked in the front, they buckle in that long expanse between the trans crossmember and the front crossmember. It would be easy to be off enough to have issues when installing a different style box that has all clearances tighter around it. Just not as much wiggle room. Of all these boxes I've seen installed, I've never heard of this issue.

JIM
Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM
OzVetteJohn
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 66since71
Like Yogi B used to say, you can observe a lot just by looking....

Opened my hood, and its fairly clear that the Borgeson box, correctly bracketed, would have hard interference with the frame, vehicle forward of the pitman arm shaft. I think they tilted it upright to gain the clearance. There is plenty of motion available in the stock steering linkage to accommodate the changed plane for movement of the pitman arm. The geometry is going to be a little wacky because the idler arm shaft axis is the old one.

Why they didn't just tell you that is beyond me. Could be it is a little "Bubba fixed". It's certainly not engineered.

Harry
Cant believe the issues you having what a PITA.

My borgeson bolted straight into my 65 and i found Jeff at Borgeson helpful even calling from Australia. Could you send the box back and at least get them to check against the 100's of others they sell?

John
Old 06-07-2015, 08:48 PM
scnc4
Intermediate

I know this is an old post but I am trying to complete the same install in my 1965 coupe and have run into the same problem. What was your cure for this problem?
Old 06-07-2015, 11:46 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,256 Posts

FWIW I got my Jeep box from Corvette Steering, which is out of business now. They supplied a U-joint with the box, which has been on my 67 for several years. There's no harshness to the steering that was added by the conversion from stock steering.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:53 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Borgeson folks ck in here regularly so I expect they will get involved and help you out. Jeff is great to deal with and I'm sure there is an answer somewhere.

I'm assuming you pulled the column out when you cut it....or not? The reason I ask is there is quite a lot of adjustment in the underdash bracket.

Here's a couple of pics I have from my install. I used a universal because I needed it to clear my header tube...but the flex coupler lined up fine too. For what it's worth...I don't detect any harshness through the column at all from the u-joint.

JIM

Jim's stock and Borgeson box clearly have a mismatch in the positions of the holes in the mounting brackets, which looks to be the same as the OP's situation. But, Jim's Borgeson box fits fine. The resolution of Kyle's problem can't be far off.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:42 PM
scnc4
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. I figured the universal would correct the problem was concerned about the reliability of the universal verses the rag joint.

Quick Reply: Borgeson Problem, looking for recommendations