C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

caster

Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 AM
VinceP
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post

Default caster

Is there a way to check front end caster without specical tools.I had rebuild my front end a couple of years ago and had a corvette mech algined the front end.I just replaced the tires the old one were very old.With new ones on the car I looked at the front and you can see that the camber is far off. I did a rough check of the toe and it is also off. I would like to check the caster. I am a little pissed I went back to the mech and told him about my problem.He made it sound that I must have done something to cause the problem.Over the year that when he did the alginment I did'nt go a 100 miles or touched the frontend.
I seem to have the worst luck with repairs. Over the years ( over 40 years) I have taken to a couple chevy dealer and I was diapointed in all cases.I do about 95% of the work on the car.
Before I go off on the subject just would like to know more about the caster ajustment Sorry!!! Vince
Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceP
Is there a way to check front end caster without specical tools.I had rebuild my front end a couple of years ago and had a corvette mech algined the front end.I just replaced the tires the old one were very old.With new ones on the car I looked at the front and you can see that the camber is far off. I did a rough check of the toe and it is also off. I would like to check the caster. I am a little pissed I went back to the mech and told him about my problem.He made it sound that I must have done something to cause the problem.Over the year that when he did the alginment I did'nt go a 100 miles or touched the frontend.
I seem to have the worst luck with repairs. Over the years ( over 40 years) I have taken to a couple chevy dealer and I was diapointed in all cases.I do about 95% of the work on the car.
Before I go off on the subject just would like to know more about the caster ajustment Sorry!!! Vince
Neither caster, camber, nor toe-in is affected by changing tires. Both camber and toe can be adjusted independently, but caster can't - caster interacts with camber, and they need to be adjusted together, on an alignment rack. Take it to an alignment shop - they have the tools and equipment to do it right, and once set, it won't change (unless you hit something).
Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

You can measure caster at home (and camber and toe) using a fairly inexpensive kit like this: Quick Trick Alignment. It basically involves turn the wheel to the left and measuring the camber, then turning to the right and measuring the camber and then doing some math. David Farmer who is a well known C5, C6 race driver has a DIY procedure on his site Alignment Guide. The steps are the same for any car, but the math is different (his procedure is for the C5, but it gives you an idea).

HTH
Old 08-06-2011, 07:16 AM
VinceP
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply.It is not that I wanted to do the alignment myself but just wanted to be able to check it and understand what they mean before I take it to a shop to have it done. Thanks again Vince

Get notified of new replies

To caster

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: caster