C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Audio recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Audio recommendations?

I have decided to leave the non-working radio in the dash for stock appearance and would like to simply have an amp with output for 4 speakers and an iPod connection for my audio pleasure... anyone have any recommendations on a setup?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2011, 03:35 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Oriondriver
I have decided to leave the non-working radio in the dash for stock appearance and would like to simply have an amp with output for 4 speakers and an iPod connection for my audio pleasure... anyone have any recommendations on a setup?

Thanks
Take a look at this radio, I got the C2 version.

1958-62 (C1) Retrosound AM/FM Stereo

chuck
Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

I looked at those... just not a fan of how it looks... I was thinking about something like this...

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLMRMP3...ower-Amplifier
Old 07-25-2011, 03:49 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 164 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by TXSTICK
Take a look at this radio, I got the C2 version.

1958-62 (C1) Retrosound AM/FM Stereo

chuck
What radio?
no link to anything.....
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

It is just an amp... connected to 4 speakers... no radio... connect my iPod to it for music... completely hidden...
Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
What radio?
no link to anything.....
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1958-1962.html

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1967.html
Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is just an amp... connected to 4 speakers... no radio... connect my iPod to it for music... completely hidden...
Orion, Is this aready installed ? This is what I have been looking for. Is the only input an
Ipod ! I also do not want to remove my existing radio or cut any thing up.
How does it sound and what type of speakers are you getting or using ?

Thx, Mark
Old 07-25-2011, 05:46 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Since you have to use the earphone output from the ipod, just hooking an amp to it won't work. You need to add a pre amp between the ipod output and the main amp. I have this setup in my car. The audio and video is driven by an Ipod only. There is no head unit. I have the Ipod in the glovebox, and mounted the preamp behind the glovebox. This is the preamp http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...Overdrive.aspx
You can then add a steering wheel control, which will allow you to change channels, volume, etc., from your steering wheel. Here's a link to the one I use.
http://www.theistore.com/scosche-wir...pod-and-iphone
Here is a video of my car in action.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7VUmG7878

This will thump with the best of them....

Mike Coletta

Last edited by mike coletta; 07-25-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

Originally Posted by 61retro
Since you have to use the earphone output from the ipod, just hooking an amp to it won't work. You need to add a pre amp between the ipod output and the main amp. I have this setup in my car. The audio and video is driven by an Ipod only. There is no head unit. I have the Ipod in the glovebox, and mounted the preamp behind the glovebox. This is the preamp http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...Overdrive.aspx
You can then add a steering wheel control, which will allow you to change channels, volume, etc., from your steering wheel. Here's a link to the one I use.
http://www.theistore.com/scosche-wir...pod-and-iphone
Here is a video of my car in action.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx7VUmG7878

This will thump with the best of them....

Mike Coletta
Thanks for the links Mike... the reviews I read on this differ... I read at least 2 reviews where people put the Pyle amp setup with 2 speakers on their jet skis and only use an iPod with the connector that comes with it... will have to investigate some more...

Scott
Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,180 Likes on 488 Posts

I run an MP3 player to a 4-channel amp with an attenuator box I made that sits under the passenger's seat where I can reach it. The MP3 player has plenty of power to drive the amp without a preamp and is actually attenuated. The volume control is far more convenient than trying to change volume on the MP3 when you're driving (and not looking).

BTW, you state that your radio was dead. In what respect?

Mine was bad with a noisy power transistor, but I tapped off the signal from the radio's preamp before it reaches the transistor and the signal is cleaner than a stock radio and is sent to the amp. I also added a "hot wire" to the power switch to bring on the amp and bring up the power antenna when the radio is switched on.

When the MP3 is plugged in under the seat, it disconnects the radio.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Oriondriver
Pro

Sounds cool... do you have any photos? What kind of amp are you using?

My Custom Autosound USA-6 is sketchy at best... I actually sent it back to them and was told it had water damage despite the fact the car had never seen rain or water... but I don't want to pull that scab off again... :-)

Scott
Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Scott,
The Ipod will work, but it will not be very loud, and distorted. The signal coming from the "earphone out" is very small. The amp will read it, and amplify it, but because you have to drive the volume of the ipod up, you won't get a clean signal. What the "overdrive" pre amp does, is to maximize a clean signal to the amp, which will then produce more volume, with a lot less distortion. Some of the MP3 players (like what Toddalin is talking about), have a much higher output level. Take a look at this article...should help. http://beavishifi.com/articles/headphonejack/

Mike Coletta
Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Oriondriver
Pro

I watched the video today... I now have gadget envy... nice setup...
Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Sounds cool... do you have any photos? What kind of amp are you using?

My Custom Autosound USA-6 is sketchy at best... I actually sent it back to them and was told it had water damage despite the fact the car had never seen rain or water... but I don't want to pull that scab off again... :-)

Scott
JBL 4-channel amp mounted under the passenger's seat (raised 1-3/4"). My wife loved it when I raised the seat because she could finally see out of the car.

After taking these photos, I repainted the seat frames.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Oriondriver
Pro

SO.... that is simply a 4 channel amp run to power... connected to speakers... with iPod connection... no head unit?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:31 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

SO.... that is simply a 4 channel amp run to power... connected to speakers... with iPod connection... no head unit?
No "head unit" per se.

But the preamp from the stock radio runs through the 4-channel amp (mono in 4 channels) until I plug the MP3 player into the box under the seat. That disconnects the radio and connects the MP3 player.

There are resistors in the box to compensate for the two different output levels of the radio and MP3 player, but both use the volume **** mounted in the box.

Of course the radio can also use the volume **** on the dashboard to control its level and the MP3 has it's own output level control so **** under the seat serves as a "master" volume.

Get notified of new replies

To Audio recommendations?

Quick Reply: Audio recommendations?