C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1962 Taillight Protector Cone Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Uncle Ralphy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1962 Taillight Protector Cone Question

I can't seem to keep my cones in place without taping them to the body. They won't fit under the speed nut. Anybody got a solution?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:53 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

They snap over the speed nut, though poorly.

Make sure your tail light wires go through the cutouts in the cones, that seems to be the biggest factor.

Other than that, I had thought about conjuring up a surefire way to keep then on, but mine don't really come off, except for the one where the wires are a little tight against the cutout.

Doug
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by AZDoug
They snap over the speed nut, though poorly.

Make sure your tail light wires go through the cutouts in the cones, that seems to be the biggest factor.

Other than that, I had thought about conjuring up a surefire way to keep then on, but mine don't really come off, except for the one where the wires are a little tight against the cutout.

Doug
That's pretty much the case...you could try some of that black automotive dum-dum from 3M on the back side of the cone where the speed nut stud goes through the hole to sorta make the cone stick in place and it wouldn't be visible.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Be very careful moving the wires around. Take your time and bend each one slowly so they exit the cone properly. Don't go pulling and pushing fast or you may not have working lights when finished. Those rear taillights can be a PITA.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Uncle Ralphy
Racer

I've had this problem for years. I've enlarged the cutout holes a bit to facilitate the wires. I know they're "supposed" to fit over the speed nuts, which they loosely do, but the slighted bump causes them to fall off.
I'll try the dum-dum trick. I know that stuff is extra sticky, so maybe it'll work best.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:41 AM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I use zip ties to hold the wires tight on the light housing and then put the cones on.But everything is enclosed and upholstered and you never see any of the light hardware.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:50 AM
0Brian@CSofMD.com
Former Vendor

There have been a couple of different reproductions. We make a part that will fit, at least as good as the originals! The design of the parts were not that great, but at least the originals, and our parts will work. We sell to many of the major vendors, or you can call, or order from our web site.
www.csofmd.com

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 Taillight Protector Cone Question

Quick Reply: 1962 Taillight Protector Cone Question