C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

61 Underdash Support

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 PM
snozberry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 61 Underdash Support

First let me say to everyone, "Thank you!" I would be completely lost on this project without this forum. My project ended up being so far gone it makes Paragons "REX" look like a rookie project. If it wasn't for the people on this forum taking the time to take some measurements for me this project would never be completed. While trying to put together the framework under the dash together it appears that I'm missing a vital piece. There's a metal support connecting the left and right side that I don't have and will probably have to fabricate. Can somebody measure the distance between these two bolts please? Thanks again for the help,
Mark

Old 12-09-2012, 07:18 AM
62vetteman
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you need more than one dimension to fabricate that piece. It looks flat in the assy. drawing but actually has a 1/2" bow measured in the center against a straight edge. I posted some photos to give you a better idea of what it looks like. The piece measures 23 5/16" long with the bow ( subtract a 1/16" w/o the bow ). The two holes at each end are slots ( 7/16" lg. x 5/16" w ). The dims. you asked for is 22 1/8" measured from the center of each slot. There are also two rods spot welded to that support. The round part of the rod is 5/16" dia. and approx. 6" long. The flattened end that bolts to the firewall ( wiper motor/ ballast resistor area ) is approx. 1 1/2" and bent at a 30 deg. angle. The end spot welded to the support is flat for approx. 1" and bent at a 55 degree angle. If you want I can trace the piece onto paper/ cardboard and mail it to you. PM me or email me ( EKC905@aol.com). I will be installing the support in the next day or two so please let me know asap.
Erich
Old 12-09-2012, 11:20 AM
rustylugnuts
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a difficult part to find but it is obtainable..... Also agree from above, it would be much less complicated/time consuming to find one than to make one, besides you need more measurements that were indicated to duplicate.

Good luck!

rustylugnuts
Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 62vetteman
...If you want I can trace the piece onto paper/ cardboard and mail it to you. PM me or email me ( EKC905@aol.com). I will be installing the support in the next day or two so please let me know asap.
Erich
There's a good man.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:03 PM
snozberry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Erich, that looks nothing like the picture in the AIM. When I was mocking up the front end it looked like there was a slight bow, you confirmed that. Fortunately it's going on a restomod so it won't have to be an exact replica as long as the measurements are correct. It seems odd that they make the support rods, but not the the center dash support rail. I'll probably try to fabricate one instead of hunting one down. I'd rather keep an original one in circulation for a non-restomod application. Thanks for the template offer, I should be able to make it from your pictures and measurements though. Thanks again guys for the information. The help from this forum has been indispensable.
Mark

Get notified of new replies

To 61 Underdash Support

Quick Reply: 61 Underdash Support