C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question about C-1 kick panel and windlace

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 AM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Question about C-1 kick panel and windlace

I am installing the interior in my 61 vette and I am not sure how to attach the windlace to the kick panels, the car has been apart since 2002 and I am hoping to have it ready for Carlisle in August. I have aftermarket kick panels with speakers so I am starting from scratch. Can I drill small holes in the plastic and put heavy duty staples through and bend them by hand. Also does the top of the windlace go behind the dash end cap. If anyone has pictures that would be great, I would really like to look at another car in person if anyone on the Forum lives within a 100 miles of St.Marys Pa. Thanks, Bob
Old 06-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by The Corvette Kid
..... Can I drill small holes in the plastic and put heavy duty staples through and bend them by hand.
Yes...that's what I did. You have to make slits in the flat part of the windlace to make the turn around the curved part of the kick panel.

....Also does the top of the windlace go behind the dash end cap.
Also, yes. Its a little tricky as you have to cut out a short section of the foam 'tube' inside the windlace at the top. Then you 'flatten' the empty vinyl and tuck it behind the dash end caps and screw the caps down on top of it.

Pages A27-A29 of the AIM manual show these items.

Unfortunately this is one of the few things during my restoration that I didn't photograph..
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 06-15-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I just used weatherstripping glue. Taped the windlace to the body allowed the weatherstripping glue to dry then applied another coat before attaching the kick panel trim and windlace. It is holding quite nicely using the same speaker panels. I took an exacto knife and remove the excess foam. You can pull out the foam and cut it off. then dig out the rest using the tip of the exacto knife.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 06-15-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:30 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by james Hufford
I just used weatherstripping glue.
Yup. 3M weather strip adhesive. AKA Gorilla Snot. I used the black stuff rather than the yellow. I believe Permatex makes something similar

Doug
Old 06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
The Corvette Kid
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for suggestions and the pictures. After almost 9 years working on this car I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again, Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Question about C-1 kick panel and windlace

Quick Reply: Question about C-1 kick panel and windlace