C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Month from hell

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Bruce Wayne
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Month from hell

Since June first, A. My fuel pump went out 50 miles from home resulting in a nice flatbed bill, B. I scuffed my driver side rear fender paint down to the glass in a garage mishap and C. my water pump went kaflooey this morning sending my fan blade through my radiator cowl and spraying antifreeze solution all over my perfectly detailed engine compartment just as I was pulling into the paint shop parking lot.

WTF?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

That is a streak of lousy luck. What happened with the fan?? Are you saying the pump bearing failed causing the fan to fly off?? Pilot Dan
Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

hate to see that my friend...
Old 06-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Bruce Wayne
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
That is a streak of lousy luck. What happened with the fan?? Are you saying the pump bearing failed causing the fan to fly off?? Pilot Dan
Yeah, it loosened enough to cut into the cowl before I could shut it down. Made quite the racket.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:26 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Well that sucks! I feel your pain.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Well in the future you'll look back and laugh about it.....Me and a friend put stainless brakes all round on my 66 one day....First, My breaker bar snapped driving my knuckles into some very sharp parts, blood and cursing everywhere....Second, after finishing the job, I ran over my buds foot with the rear tires, broken foot.....third, on the test drive, just after the on ramp to the freeway, I shifted into 3rd, and the motor shut off, I coasted to the side lane. Flat bed....broken timing chain and 3 bent valves, and pushrods. Good day over all!!!

Wish I had a shot of us, with his foot wrapped in a tensor bandage, and me with my hand wrapped in lots of white gauze bandage, hobbling up the side of the freeway.....!

Last edited by Kerrmudgeon; 06-13-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:44 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne
Since June first, A. My fuel pump went out 50 miles from home resulting in a nice flatbed bill, B. I scuffed my driver side rear fender paint down to the glass in a garage mishap and C. my water pump went kaflooey this morning sending my fan blade through my radiator cowl and spraying antifreeze solution all over my perfectly detailed engine compartment just as I was pulling into the paint shop parking lot.

WTF?

Jimmy, look at it this way - if **** comes in threes....
well then, you're done. Now just get this stuff fixed and have an AWESOME summer.

Seriously - in your reply I want to know at least 1 thing that's going to be GREAT for you to do with the car over the next few months.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Well in the future you'll look back and laugh about it.....Me and a friend put stainless brakes all round on my 66 one day....First, My breaker bar snapped driving my knuckles into some very sharp parts, blood and cursing everywhere....Second, after finishing the job, I ran over my buds foot with the rear tires, broken foot.....third, on the test drive, just after the on ramp to the freeway, I shifted into 3rd, and the motor shut off, I coasted to the side lane. Flat bed....broken timing chain and 3 bent valves, and pushrods. Good day over all!!!

Wish I had a shot of us, with his foot wrapped in a tensor bandage, and me with my hand wrapped in lots of white gauze bandage, hobbling up the side of the freeway.....!
Sons-of-a-gun Robbie - that would have made a great pic!
So have you and your buddy reached that point yet where you can laugh about it?

Moral to these stories - whether suffering mishaps or blasting carefree down the road,
any day spent with these cars (and better yet a friend to share it with) is a
damned good day.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon

And you want me to stop by....... I better make sure my health and car insurance is up to date.

See you soon

Jack
Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Sounds like a bad day but like I always say-"If money will fix it, it's not really a problem". This was told to me by a friend dying of cancer. You need to put things into perspective.

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 08:04 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

man, sorry for some bad luck. at least it is the vette not your health. that would be a month from hell and cost more. best of luck for the rest of summer. jim
Old 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk971
man, sorry for some bad luck. at least it is the vette not your health. that would be a month from hell and cost more. best of luck for the rest of summer. jim
Jim

Hope you have a new shirt for the little get together later this summer.

See you all soon

Jack
Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Bruce Wayne
Drifting

Yeah, you guys are right. In the grand scheme of things this is but a mere blip on the radar. Thanks for your words of encouragement and wisdom. I'm tempted to say "It's only just a car" but we all know thats not true. This is one hell of a great fraternity.
Looking forward to crusin again with a big stupid grin on my face.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:11 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I'm tempted to say "It's only just a car" but we all know thats not true.
Wrong.!!!! That's exactly what it is. ONLY A CAR. Nothing more.

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 09:42 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

good to see you're still smilin' Jimmy T ...

Last edited by vt65; 06-13-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
vt65
Safety Car

good to see you're still smilin' Bruce, i get the picture...[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Note to all .

Having been around people that have had old cars fro 40+ years....

When one thing goes bad, generally that is the first of many.

Myself included, have had the WP go bad, then an alternator, then a starter, then a master cylinder, then a heater hose. You get the idea...

My solution is to use one item as the canary in the coal mine.

if you have an unknown car, or if it has been 30 years since you restored it... When an item goes, it is generally a good idea to a preventative replacement or rebuild of the usual suspects with quality new parts or quality rebuilds of your cores, not Autozone 6 month warranty rebuilds.

If the WP goes, it is probably time to have your alternator, starter and master cylinder rebuilt,a s well as changing the plug wires, points, and rubber fuel and colling components (including fuel pump). Substitute any component for the first one to break,a nd also repair the rest.

You will find your car much more reliable.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Month from hell

Old 06-14-2011, 06:17 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
Sounds like a bad day but like I always say-"If money will fix it, it's not really a problem". This was told to me by a friend dying of cancer. You need to put things into perspective.

Jim
Amen to that. A good friend just passed about a month ago. (cancer)

Filthy rich. The only thing he could not buy was what he needed most. Health.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 AM
vt65
Safety Car

what happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ?? ... That Cancer thing, I don't go there, have lost too many friends too it!

Last edited by vt65; 06-14-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

...and spraying antifreeze solution all over my perfectly detailed engine compartment just as I was pulling into the paint shop parking lot.
Chances are your engine compartment was going to need to be re-detailed after getting out of the dusty paint shop anyway.

As others said, it's all a matter of perspective.

Quick Reply: Month from hell