C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Inside rear view mirror wont stay in position..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Inside rear view mirror wont stay in position..

Hello

My inside rear view mirror keeps moving down when i drive my vette...Its driving me crazy.. I tried super glue on the ball to keep it in position...I think it workrd for about 5 miles before it started moving down again...There has to be a better solution..Any ideas are welcome..

Pete
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM
64Corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 123 Posts

Neither will the replacements, at least the one I bought moves as well. I would like to hear a solutions also!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I bought one for my car because I wanted a day night mirror and I got it from truckandcarshop in Kalifornia... They come to Charlotte's AutoFair every year and the price was half the price of the Corvette Parts houses....

page 65

http://www.scribd.com/full/31943817?...w7lh07v88vrx16

Dave
Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
I bought one for my car because I wanted a day night mirror and I got it from truckandcarshop in Kalifornia... They come to Charlotte's AutoFair every year and the price was half the price of the Corvette Parts houses....

page 65

http://www.scribd.com/full/31943817?...w7lh07v88vrx16

Dave
Thanks for that link Dave. They are 20 minutes from me and I didn't know they existed!

Don
Old 06-02-2011, 11:18 AM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Easy fix, gentlemen.

There's a square bushing that's supposed to be in the "ball joint" of the mirror, and for reasons that do not make sense, repro mirrors (some, perhaps not all--mine is one) ship without them.

It's a $2 part: see this link from Long Island Corvette. Search for mirror bushing. Other Corvette parts places have them too.

http://www.licorvette.com/
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by boxster99t
Easy fix, gentlemen.

There's a square bushing that's supposed to be in the "ball joint" of the mirror, and for reasons that do not make sense, repro mirrors (some, perhaps not all--mine is one) ship without them.

It's a $2 part: see this link from Long Island Corvette. Search for mirror bushing. Other Corvette parts places have them too.

http://www.licorvette.com/
How do you get that bushing inside the rear view mirror???

Im not sure how you do this??
Thanks
Pete
The following users liked this post:
NazTheGreek (12-28-2023)
Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hello

My inside rear view mirror keeps moving down when i drive my vette...Its driving me crazy.. I tried super glue on the ball to keep it in position...I think it workrd for about 5 miles before it started moving down again...There has to be a better solution..Any ideas are welcome..

Pete
i've used locktite on the ball joint of my outside mirror on my 68,,, holds up pretty well
Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

How do you get that bushing inside the rear view mirror???

Im not sure how you do this??
Thanks
Pete
Pete, I sent you a PM--the mirror bushing goes in the mirror bracket (or the bolt hole stem on the mirror; it's whichever of the two is inside the other, so the bolt passes through the bushing--cannot remember without taking the mirror out of the car), by removing the bolt that goes through the short ball joint stem on the mirror. The ball joint in the mirror is not the problem--the problem is insufficient tension in the mirror stem joint between the mirror stem bolted to the car and the mirror it attaches to. Without the bushing, you can tighten that bolt all you want and the mirror will keep dropping.

To me, loctite on the mirror joint is a bad idea, because you're fixing the part that isn't broken to compensate for the part that is actually the cause. And a working ball joint, as opposed to one that's glued or secured with loctite is worth spending $2 for the mirror bushing.

It's nice having a mirror that can be adjusted, as opposed to a glued in place one. I have always had bad luck with glue (always seem to glue something I don't want to) or loctite on fittings that weren't intended to be used with loctite.

Last edited by boxster99t; 06-02-2011 at 12:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NazTheGreek (12-28-2023)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Pete, I sent you a PM--the mirror bushing goes in the mirror bracket (or the bolt hole stem on the mirror; it's whichever of the two is inside the other, so the bolt passes through the bushing--cannot remember without taking the mirror out of the car), by removing the bolt that goes through the short ball joint stem on the mirror. The ball joint in the mirror is not the problem--the problem is insufficient tension in the mirror stem joint between the mirror stem bolted to the car and the mirror it attaches to. Without the bushing, you can tighten that bolt all you want and the mirror will keep dropping.

To me, loctite on the mirror joint is a bad idea, because you're fixing the part that isn't broken to compensate for the part that is actually the cause. And a working ball joint, as opposed to one that's glued or secured with loctite is worth spending $2 for the mirror bushing.

It's nice having a mirror that can be adjusted, as opposed to a glued in place one. I have always had bad luck with glue (always seem to glue something I don't want to) or loctite on fittings that weren't intended to be used with loctite.
your choice,,, its still adjustable,, however , i'm not missing ant parts...
Old 06-02-2011, 12:50 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knockbill
your choice,,, its still adjustable,, however , i'm not missing ant parts...
I don't understand--you have a mirror bushing and it still dropped, or you don't have one and don't miss it?

If you're ok with a "Bubba" fix, your car, your choice.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 PM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

I don't understand--you have a mirror bushing and it still dropped, or you don't have one and don't miss it?

If you're ok with a "Bubba" fix, your car, your choice.
i could see you "didn't understand", thats why i corrected you, theres more than one kind of lock tite, its adjustable and works fine,,,
label it as you like,,, i've made a lot of parts for my cars, that work fine,,, some guys have a thicker wallet than me, so tehy buy "repro parts", i can make them,,,
Old 06-02-2011, 01:03 PM
abe g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont use any glue (I ruined the door panel on my 63swc) drips down from outside door mirror,ruins paint! Regards, Abe G
Old 06-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

There are two places the mirror can move, one between the mounting bracket and the mirror ball stud arm, and one at the ball stud itself inside the mirror. You need the mirror bushing in place to stop movement between the mirror support bracket and the mirror mounting stem, where the mounting screw passes through to mount the mirror.

The second place you can get movement is at the mirror ball stem itself, it's inside the mirror and held by a piece of spring steel, which has probably lost some of its tension over the years. Not much of a cure for this problem other than replacement of the mirror and housing, you can't get to the ball inside the mirror without removing (and breaking in the process) the mirror glass. I've never seen a suitable process for removing the glass in an interior rear view mid-year mirror.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by 5thvet
Thanks for that link Dave. They are 20 minutes from me and I didn't know they existed!

Don
Don you know me, I aim to please! I buy a lot of stuff that is Chevrolet but not specific to one model. I think the standard rear view mirror is $45 at the Corvette houses and there it's only $20....

Dave
Old 06-02-2011, 05:20 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Pete: Mine does the same thing. When I put the body back onto the frame I mounted it hard, just like the factory. No cushions means lots of vibration making it right up to the top of the windshield frame and right down through the mirror mount to the mirror.

Kind of sucks but I go with the Cannonball Rallye theme of; whats behind me is not important.

Rich
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by knockbill
i could see you "didn't understand", thats why i corrected you, theres more than one kind of lock tite, its adjustable and works fine,,,
label it as you like,,, i've made a lot of parts for my cars, that work fine,,, some guys have a thicker wallet than me, so tehy buy "repro parts", i can make them,,,
I'm not trying to be argumentative. What I asked is did you mean you have a mirror bushing or you don't have a mirror bushing and don't care. I wasn't asking about loctite.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Kind of sucks but I go with the Cannonball Rallye theme of; whats behind me is not important.

Rich
I love that scene!!!! Figures right? LOL...

BTW you coming to the Richmond show on Saturday??? If so make sure you drag that POS Black 67 LS7 with you... LOL...

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Inside rear view mirror wont stay in position..

Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
There are two places the mirror can move, one between the mounting bracket and the mirror ball stud arm, and one at the ball stud itself inside the mirror. You need the mirror bushing in place to stop movement between the mirror support bracket and the mirror mounting stem, where the mounting screw passes through to mount the mirror.

The second place you can get movement is at the mirror ball stem itself, it's inside the mirror and held by a piece of spring steel, which has probably lost some of its tension over the years. Not much of a cure for this problem other than replacement of the mirror and housing, you can't get to the ball inside the mirror without removing (and breaking in the process) the mirror glass. I've never seen a suitable process for removing the glass in an interior rear view mid-year mirror.

Actually on the 67, the mirror is just glued in (don't know about other years). Mine actually came unglued and caused mirror shake. Fixed it with a few dabs of hot glue between the gray rubber surround and the mirror housing. Now I suppose you could use solvent to dissolve the glue to get inside, but that may be more trouble than it's worth.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
I love that scene!!!! Figures right? LOL...

BTW you coming to the Richmond show on Saturday??? If so make sure you drag that POS Black 67 LS7 with you... LOL...

Dave
Won't be making Richmond. The pictures of that Black 67 under the hood don't come close to seeing it in person. Last week I was at Jeff's place and we changed out the front hubs on my C5. Before you had to be right up on the car to see the top of the induction system. NOT ANY MORE ! ! ! You can stand 25 feet away and it visually starts calling to you to come over and look closer.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Hello

Pete

Pete,

If it is the ball area that is causing the problem I am not sure that there is a fix. I had the same problem. Tried to fix it by putting small taps with a center punch. I cracked the mirror in mine. Bought another one off of the internet and it was faulty. It would droop due to the bushing not being inserted where the screw goes through on the mount. Finally purchased another one off of the internet that had the bushing and now "no problem". I don't know if you are going for judging or not. If not, then any replacement mirror should work. You just need the bushing to hold it in place. Don't know if this helps your situation or not.

Steve

Quick Reply: Inside rear view mirror wont stay in position..