C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

door window glass edge chips on 65 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:38 PM
camaro_haehn
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default door window glass edge chips on 65 coupe

Hope some of you forum guys can help with this one. I have some chips on the edge of the door window glass on my 65 coupe. Is there a way to remove these chips by grinding or sanding? I tried a high speed grinding bit with a dremmel tool on some only auto glass and it didn't do anything. My wife uses a special grinding wheel for her leaded glass hobby but it would be difficult to get the window positioned on this wheel to do the round bead. Is there a business that does this kind of work? Regards Craig
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Sanding tempered glass is tough. Tempered glass is strong on the face but weak on the edge, so your rolling the dice. It also takes a special type of sandpaper to sand glass. You said that you tried on some 'auto glass'? Was it tempered or laminated? Laminated is easy to sand on the edge's. I think if a guy had access to a water belt sander that is used in a glass shop, and if the chips were small enough, and you kept the glass as cool as possible and used a not so agressive belt, you might be able to make it work.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
abe g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DONT DO ANYTHING! tHIS TYPE OF GLASS (TEMPERED) CAN EXPLODE ON YOU AT THE SLIGHTEST VIABRATION! I had this happen when I stood the side window glass upright for replacement. Suggest, live with it until replacement is needed. Believe me it was quite a surprise. Good luck, Abe G
Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in the glass business for 15 years. It is true that tempered glass is very weak on the edge surfaces. Find a glass shop that has a 160" wet sander and 220 carbide belt. You can get a far amount of edge chips "cleaned up". It will be very hard to re-polish those edges though. Tempered glass doesn't like cork belts. We used to grind tempered glass all the time when had sharp edges after the tempering process. As with anything glass..... they will do it at your own risk.

Get notified of new replies

To door window glass edge chips on 65 coupe

Quick Reply: door window glass edge chips on 65 coupe