C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 Vert - Weatherstrip and Window Channels

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM
red65Michigan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 Vert - Weatherstrip and Window Channels

Well its time to spend some money to replace the weatherstripping and to fix the door window rattles. I did some thread searches for tips and tricks and didn't see anything specific in FAQ but I could have missed it. I would still like some input from anyone that has done this work and would like to share the best way to remove and reinstall the rubber. What tool and solvent to remove old residue, best glue to reinstall, etc. I am dealing with original rubber and it is pretty bad. The paint job by the previous owner covered the rubber but did not replace any of it. I see that Wilcox uses USA made rubber and offers it as a kit.

Windows are pretty loose and of course make a lot of noise when closing the doors. Not sure exactly what I need to take on this job and haven't seen anything listed as a door window kit. Just individual pieces. Any advice in this area would be appreciated as well.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by red65Michigan
Well its time to spend some money to replace the weatherstripping and to fix the door window rattles. I did some thread searches for tips and tricks and didn't see anything specific in FAQ but I could have missed it. I would still like some input from anyone that has done this work and would like to share the best way to remove and reinstall the rubber. What tool and solvent to remove old residue, best glue to reinstall, etc. I am dealing with original rubber and it is pretty bad. The paint job by the previous owner covered the rubber but did not replace any of it. I see that Wilcox uses USA made rubber and offers it as a kit.

Windows are pretty loose and of course make a lot of noise when closing the doors. Not sure exactly what I need to take on this job and haven't seen anything listed as a door window kit. Just individual pieces. Any advice in this area would be appreciated as well.
Mike,
Check out Corvette Rubber for your weatherstripping.
http://www.corvette-rubber.com/
Dave
Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default You need more than weather strip

Originally Posted by stingrayl76
Mike,
Check out Corvette Rubber for your weatherstripping.
http://www.corvette-rubber.com/
Dave
Hi Dave,

What you need to do is remove the door panels, ***** etc. Your car sounds like it has not been worked on in a few years ( interior of door cleaned) It would be a good time to clean you door latches of 40 year old dirt and grease, reline you door channels, etc.

Get a service manual for your year car, it will show you how to remove all the parts. Take a lot of pictures as you go, before you take apart.

You need weatherstrip adhesive remover, sold at Napa or online vendors, black weatherstrip adhesive. Lots of posts on how to do it.

You doors and windows will be like new if you take your time. before you remove the weatherstripping, take interior of door apart , glass out etc. Weatherstrip last. Call for help when you are ready to do it.

But you will be amazed at the dirt in your lock and latch mechs. Soak and clean and they will work like new.

Jack
Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 612 Likes on 367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I just did some work in the doors of my 65. Not hateful or complicated. I strongly suggest using the proper size tap and chase the threads of all the threaded inserts in the door. Also make sure they are secure before you put the door panel on. I did all my work, put the panel back on and on the last screw the insert fell inside the door. Had to take it back apart and fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To 65 Vert - Weatherstrip and Window Channels

Quick Reply: 65 Vert - Weatherstrip and Window Channels