C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Buying from Out of State

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:36 PM
murf257
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Buying from Out of State

I am looking at a car on the east coast but live in Chicago. If I buy the car and need to have it shipped home, how do I go about the money and title transfer. If we agree on a price and I set up the transport service and when they arrive to pick up the car and are told the car doesn't exist..... what do I do as I already paid for it????
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 572 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Go check it out in person. See if anybody on the forum knows of the car. Close the deal at a bank where the car is, etc.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Here's some good info for you and like Redbird said, I'm sure a Forum member in the area could help.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...edelivery.html
Don
Old 05-25-2011, 11:30 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

I bought my 67 out of state (I live in Dallas and the car was in Boston). A lot will depend on the seller. Mine was nervous at first and actually suggested he hold title for 10 days after I wired the money, which is absurd. I had actually been in Boston looking at a different car and had a local NCRS judge check that one with me; he knew the owner of the car I did buy; and what we did was the seller took it to the judge's corvette shop on funding day, I wired the funds, and he fedex'd the title to me that day. The car stayed at the corvette shop until my transporter arrived.

Unless you have local help like I did, you may have to fly in, do the wire from there, wait for the confirmation, and leave with the car and title. If the seller will take bank check, you might be able to have the transporter swap the check for the car, keys and title. But some transporters don't like doing that.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I just went through this but I was the seller. The buyer wired the money to my account, I then signed the title and had it notarized and FedEx it to him. A transporter was then scheduled and picked the car up at my house. The buyer got the car a few days later. Worked out well I have to say I was a little concerned because the guy did not even come look at the car.

Dave
Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Fly East and check the car out in person so there are no unpleasant surprises later on. On occassion damage occurs in transit and the seller and the carrier point fingers while the buyer who has never actually seen the car in person is left in the middle. I flew out with check in hand when I bought my 64, and had arranged a carrier to transport the car East. It was a beautiful day, and something came over me, I made a left turn past the Sears Tower in Chicago and just kept going till I got to NJ. One of my top 10 favorite all time Corvette experiences. If the car is a decent driver, it might be fun to drive it home yourself. Pilot Dan
Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 AM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Put insurance on the car Fly to the sellers location with a Bank check ( certified funds ) for the agreed amount ' have the owner sign over the title (verifty all info) call transport and wait for delivery ! (try to get some sleep)
Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by csysman
Put insurance on the car Fly to the sellers location with a Bank check ( certified funds ) for the agreed amount ' have the owner sign over the title (verifty all info) call transport and wait for delivery ! (try to get some sleep)
I don't know if you can get insurance on the car before you have the title transferred into your name....what would be your insurable interest in the car prior to that ? The rest of this method is how I did it though and it went without a hitch...
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM
csysman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I don't know if you can get insurance on the car before you have the title transferred into your name....what would be your insurable interest in the car prior to that ? The rest of this method is how I did it though and it went without a hitch...
I called my agent telling him Im buying the car ,gave him the vin and had no problem
Im sure if you call your agent he will verify this

Last edited by csysman; 05-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:10 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Put insurance on the car
I don't know if you can get insurance on the car before you have the title transferred into your name....what would be your insurable interest in the car prior to that ?
You should check your insurance policy. Both my collector car and daily driver policies state that all newly acquired autos are covered for 30 days from the day of purchase.

Jim
Old 05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
murf257
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I truly appreciate all of the responses. My issue right now is I arrive on Sunday and return home on Monday, Memorial Day. Obviously all financial institutions will be closed so wiring the funds is OUT! So I guess I have to feel comfortable enough to hand over the check and have the transporter pick up the car after I arrive back home. Just don't want to be without the funds and the car!
Old 05-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I called my agent telling him Im buying the car ,gave him the vin and had no problem
Im sure if you call your agent he will verify this
Now that I understand....I'm sure the agent is just accepting the information and won't actually insure the car until the title transfers.

And Jim is correct I've lived in both Virginia and Florida and been with several insurance companies and its pretty standard that a new vehicle purchase receives interim coverage for 30 days after the purchase...
Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Now that I understand....I'm sure the agent is just accepting the information and won't actually insure the car until the title transfers.

And Jim is correct I've lived in both Virginia and Florida and been with several insurance companies and its pretty standard that a new vehicle purchase receives interim coverage for 30 days after the purchase...
I just purchased a car in Louisiana. I got all the information in advance, notified my insurance company (which provided a temporary insurance identification card to me prior to my taking possession of the car) and my wife and I flew to New Orleans.

We test drove the car, paid for the car, called my insurance agent to tell him we had taken possession of the car, and we drove it home to Virginia.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:53 PM
csysman
Drifting

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
I just purchased a car in Louisiana. I got all the information in advance, notified my insurance company (which provided a temporary insurance identification card to me prior to my taking possession of the car) and my wife and I flew to New Orleans.

We test drove the car, paid for the car, called my insurance agent to tell him we had taken possession of the car, and we drove it home to Virginia.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by murf257
I truly appreciate all of the responses. My issue right now is I arrive on Sunday and return home on Monday, Memorial Day. Obviously all financial institutions will be closed so wiring the funds is OUT! So I guess I have to feel comfortable enough to hand over the check and have the transporter pick up the car after I arrive back home. Just don't want to be without the funds and the car!
I would certainly take plenty of pictures of the car, just in case the car has damage, when the shipper drops it off.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by murf257
When I bought ours, I flew out, inspected the car and gave him a bank check. The seller had me fax a copy of the check to him beforehand so he could have a banker friend verify that it was good. I gave him the check, and he gave me the title and a bill of sale. When I got home I arranged to have the car shipped to me.

Gerry

Get notified of new replies

To Buying from Out of State

Quick Reply: Buying from Out of State