C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

introduction

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:57 PM
anyChevy
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default introduction

Hi all
Just joined the forum, sold my 70 chevelle and now looking for a C2 (see wanted ad) to buy and ship back home to OZ
Been checking the usual (on line) ads and prices seem to be all over the place.
Any advice you guys can offer would be great.
Thanks
Dave
Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

welcome to the forum, there are a few from Oz here already....hopefully someone here can assist you in an inspection if you find a car you're interested in....what are you looking for? Good luck on your search mate! .....
Old 04-30-2011, 08:09 PM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome aboard!
Best bet is to to check ebay, this forum and this site....
http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/

Cheers!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 PM
anyChevy
Pro

Originally Posted by vt65
hopefully someone here can assist you in an inspection if you find a car you're interested in....what are you looking for?
Thanks for the replies.
Something in the 40-45K range, small block, vert or coupe, blue, silver, yellow or red with KOs & pipes, 4 speed or glide, correct appearance, matching #s would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
Hopefully in the western half of the country, so I won't get stung with transport costs on top.
Here's a few I'm watching.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Ebays fine. But you might want to venture out into the marketplace.

I know a few guys who have found great C2s on Craigs List locally (US).

Mecum has a huge auction coming up next month at Indy.

http://mecum.com/

I have hotel reservations. Still deciding on whether to attend.

Take your time and get a better idea of the exact car you want. There are many variables and limitations. Get to know what they are.

You came to the right place. Ask many questions here before buying.

It's a good time to buy.

Welcome!

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 04-30-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:28 PM
stocky
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome Dave. Found this on usedcorvettesforsale.com It's where I found my vette.
http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/...tte-40240.html

Good luck with your search!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 AM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by anyChevy
Thanks for the replies.
Something in the 40-45K range, small block, vert or coupe, blue, silver, yellow or red with KOs & pipes, 4 speed or glide, correct appearance, matching #s would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
Hopefully in the western half of the country, so I won't get stung with transport costs on top.
Here's a few I'm watching.

Dave

Welcome to CF The two cars you are watching on ebay, $40-$45k will not come close to buying them. I would search here on the forum for a car from a member. Also, look as mentioned on Craigslist or UsedCorvettesForSale.com. You'll find these are some of the best places to locate the car you are looking for. Good Luck!

StingU2
Old 05-01-2011, 12:09 AM
anyChevy
Pro

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
Ebays fine. But you might want to venture out into the marketplace.

Take your time and get a better idea of the exact car you want. There are many variables and limitations. Get to know what they are.
The "ideal car" is a nice, driver quality, restored 65-66 small block auto in trophy or nassau blue, silver, yellow or red
(that'll keep the wife happy) with side pipes and KOs (so it's not a total girls car) for around 45K

Any thought or experiences with "Pro Team" or "Mershons" ? Or are they just typical used car dealers ?
Thanks for all the advice, please keep it comming, the red car above looks tempting, I might send him an email.

Last edited by anyChevy; 05-01-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:58 AM
isac
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum and good luck searching for "your" car , Even I looked for cars in the US when I almost stumbled on a car here in Sweden and it was "mine". If you're lucky you can find a few cars in your area and ask the owners if the cars is for sale...it worked for me.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:15 AM
anyChevy
Pro

Originally Posted by isac
If you're lucky you can find a few cars in your area and ask the owners if the cars is for sale
There's alot already here, some have been for sale for 2 years or more with no price drop, I guess they want to keep them ?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Welcome Dave to the best asset of old Corvette ownership. There's nothing these guys don't know about these cars. Go on line and check out Auto Trader Classic cars. It covers all of NorthAmerica, even up here in Canada, and there's lots up here too. You'll find ebay prices a little shall we say optimistic, the Trader is more realistic. I've bought and sold more on there than anywhere else. Check out your fellow Ozzies....Stewy, and another newcomer Meatta, both doing C1's and nice people. You can PM them on their page for contact if you wish. Cheers, mate! Robbie.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM
anyChevy
Pro

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
Welcome Dave to the best asset of old Corvette ownership. There's nothing these guys don't know about these cars.
Thanks
I've been a member of "team chevelle" for a long time, so I can appreciate the wealth of knowledge forums like these provide.
Thanks for the trader tip.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 AM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi all
Just joined the forum, sold my 70 chevelle and now looking for a C2 (see wanted ad) to buy and ship back home to OZ
Been checking the usual (on line) ads and prices seem to be all over the place.
Any advice you guys can offer would be great.
Thanks
Dave
Welcome to the forum ,This is the place to look for your new old car some nice ones here at a great price
Good luck in your search
Old 05-01-2011, 08:00 AM
csysman
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

There's alot already here, some have been for sale for 2 years or more with no price drop, I guess they want to keep them ?
Not necessarily ... if you get your price its gone ... if not most people are just as happy holding on to them...I believe every one puts a value of what it takes to sell or buy the car and some will not deviate from it.. just my opinion
Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 AM
'67 Mann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AnyChevy

Welcome !

My first recommendation is "to enjoy the hunt..."

Looking for 'your' corvette is as much fun as owning one. Take your
time. I noticed that all of the 3 ebay examples did NOT have power
steering or power brakes. If you are truly trying to keep the wife
in the picture as in being able to drive the car, I would strongly
suggest you keep an eye out for PS and PB. Both can be added to
any car quite easily, but should be on your list at least.

As for buying from a corvette dealer verses an individual, it seems that
the one on one focus with an individual works the best. You avoid
the markup in price that the dealer has placed on the car which is above what he bought the car for. Why not pay wholesale verses retail ? Secondly a dealer does not care which of their cars they sell you, just that they sell you one. Finally, working with an individual provides more of a bond and continued legacy of transfer, verses a
dealers stable of cars that are sold like cattle without care.

Cars for sale on this forum is a good source as well as craigslist and
the usedcorvettesforsale site.

My 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy the experience of finding your car.

legacy
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 AM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Welcome aboard! If it was for the fact that the 64 is the lowest price of the 5 years that they made the C2, then I wouldn't have one. It has been a great ride so far. Best of luck.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, welcome to the best forum on Corvettes anywhere! I searched for over a year and bought my 65 coupe from a forum member. These guys are the most knowledgeable group of people when it comes to Corvettes because they love their cars. There are some deals out there but most important is to find what YOU like, not what someone tells you to like. And, pay an expert to inspect the car, not just the run of the mill appraiser but a Corvette guy/restorer. You hire an appraiser and all they want is your money. You hire a Corvette guy, he will look at the car in all the right places and give you the honest truth. I was going to sell my 65 soon after I bought it because my Doctor told me my back would continue to go out due to working on it all the time. A forum member sent an appraiser out, he walked around it, felt the inner fenders for bonding strips, took him for a ride, he played the radio, and left. He never looked at the rear kick-ups, birdcage, electrical, body gaps, or anything. Took some pics and left. That is not an inspection. Just my 2 cents worth and good luck!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:25 PM
anyChevy
Pro

I'm no stranger to corvette's or "any Chevy" (pun intended) for that matter, but I'm not a mid year "expert" by any means.
This is why I'm here.
There's the whole $ exchange rate "timing" thing to take into account, transport, shipping, import BS and the whole "can of worms" when it comes to doing a long distance transaction with a large amount of money for a car I haven't actually seen.
So, corvette's @ Carlisle is comming up later this year, so I'll probably hold off, do as much research as possible, fly over in August, look at as many cars as I can in person and try and make the best educated decision at the time and do a "person to person" transaction, if I find the right car.
Thanks for all the advice guys, it's really been appreciated. I'm really going to take my time on this, consider everything mentioned and hopefully make the right choice when the time comes.
I know a little about electrical issues in cars, so hopefully in the meantime, I can participate and maybe even help out on here
if I can.
Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Cheers
Dave
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm no stranger to corvette's or "any Chevy" (pun intended) for that matter, but I'm not a mid year "expert" by any means.
This is why I'm here.
There's the whole $ exchange rate "timing" thing to take into account, transport, shipping, import BS and the whole "can of worms" when it comes to doing a long distance transaction with a large amount of money for a car I haven't actually seen.
So, corvette's @ Carlisle is comming up later this year, so I'll probably hold off, do as much research as possible, fly over in August, look at as many cars as I can in person and try and make the best educated decision at the time and do a "person to person" transaction, if I find the right car.
Thanks for all the advice guys, it's really been appreciated. I'm really going to take my time on this, consider everything mentioned and hopefully make the right choice when the time comes.
I know a little about electrical issues in cars, so hopefully in the meantime, I can participate and maybe even help out on here
if I can.
Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Cheers
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To introduction

Quick Reply: introduction