C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

make your own trim tag

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
John Z Thank you!
One more question = NCRS allows "A" different engine to be restamped but you loose a few points as long it's the same HP engine or size engine the Corvette can with ! Is that correct? And thanks again

Why not join the NCRS and ask all your questions there since it seems to interest you?

Ohh sorry, didn't realize who was asking.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Default That was helpful.......

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Why not join the NCRS and ask all your questions there since it seems to interest you?

Ohh sorry, didn't realize who was asking.

What purpose did your comment serve...............other than to try to make yourself feel better and attempt to put someone else down ?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure am glad my '65 is a non-big block and a powerglide to boot. I can be reasonably certain it hasn't been modified, raced or counterfeited!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Note that a bogus VIN tag will also cause judging to cease but a State issued VIN is acceptable without penalty.
What if you have both a repop VIN tag with correct frame matching SN and a state issued VIN with correct frame matching SN??

What about non correct style dealer replacement VIN tags,affixed long ago?

Doug?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
What purpose did your comment serve...............other than to try to make yourself feel better and attempt to put someone else down ?
That's a great question , I suppose he thinks I'm a bad person because I left NCRS and was member #182 . He's made up his mind that I'm not worth any time, because of what he's heard about me in NCRS even tho I was never given the chance to tell members my side of the story and removed from their forum. Anyway he is one of the reasons I did leave
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
How did I 'put someone else down'? Roy chose to leave the NCRS of his own free will. The door is still open if he wishes to rejoin.

Are you just trying to 'make yourself feel better' by 'putting me down'?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Default Nice try.............

How did I 'put someone else down'? Roy chose to leave the NCRS of his own free will. The door is still open if he wishes to rejoin.

Are you just trying to 'make yourself feel better' by 'putting me down'?
...........at ducking the question! In case you "missed" it, here it is again:

What purpose did your comment serve?

I don't need to try and put you down - you accomplish that very well all by your self in the way you treat others.

Have a nice day.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Now we're on the same page.

The 'technology' now exists to ferret out bogus trim tags on C2s and it is now a standard part of Flight Judging sessions. The significance of this should not be underrated for two reasons-

1) it is the sole component of a car that is evaluated for 'factory authenticity'. All other components are merely evaluated for being 'typical factory production'. Big, big difference.

2) it is the sole component of a car that can cause it to be ineligible for further judging at that meet or at future meets.

Why so harsh? Trim tags are not a consumable 'wear' item. An engine might have been overhauled and decked in it's past but would still be the original. There's no similar excuse for one tag to be removed and another put in it's place. It's unfortunate that those cars that have legitimately lost their tag at some time in their past (C3s have a big problem in this respect) get caught in this situation.

Note that a bogus VIN tag will also cause judging to cease but a State issued VIN is acceptable without penalty.

Perhaps some day documentation will become available to determine which cars came from the factory as 427/435s, and technology will exist to see whether an engine case is the original one fitted to a particular car. My guess is that the judging standards will be raised to meet that and transgress from 'typical of factory production' to 'factory authentic'.

This goes back to the original question way up above about the eBay auction. The seller of the tags makes the claim that documents are now available specifying the factory configuration of the car, so it is now possible to get a correct bogus tag made. I would think that people in TX that makes these things would get their facts straight. Risking another big fat punch in the nose on the judging field doesn't sound like fun to me.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Plastic Pig; 04-26-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:29 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plastic Pig--- I would still LOVE to own your '57 race car. I'm still beating myself over the head for not bidding on it. You are a lucky son of a gun, I envy you!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio

Originally Posted by 4440stevesvette
Plastic Pig--- I would still LOVE to own your '57 race car. I'm still beating myself over the head for not bidding on it. You are a lucky son of a gun, I envy you!!!!
Thanks, It is for sale.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

That's a great question , I suppose he thinks I'm a bad person because I left NCRS and was member #182 . He's made up his mind that I'm not worth any time, because of what he's heard about me in NCRS even tho I was never given the chance to tell members my side of the story and removed from their forum. Anyway he is one of the reasons I did leave
Roy- as member #182 and as active as you were in the NCRS, you know better than most the answers to your judging own questions above. Why play 'ignorant' and pretend you don't know?

Why drag out your worn old story (again) of how you got yourself suspended from judging events and kicked off the NCRS board? What's that got to do with this topic of trim tags?

Never mind- I just answered my own question.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by AZDoug
What if you have both a repop VIN tag with correct frame matching SN and a state issued VIN with correct frame matching SN??

What about non correct style dealer replacement VIN tags,affixed long ago?

Doug?
Oh look- an on-topic question!

I suppose if the state-issued VIN was affixed while still displaying the repop VIN, (IAW, if it's legal with the guvvamint) it's OK in judging. Frame S/Ns are not examined BTW.

The dealer issued VINs are equal with state issued from what I know.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM
FASTZ
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What if the judges that day think that the trim tag is a replacement and the car is thrown out and marked in the records as a fraud and the judges that day are wrong? I mean mistakes are made at each judging event.Is there an appeal process?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:03 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The statement that "The 'technology' now exists to ferret out bogus trim tags on C2s and it is now a standard part of Flight Judging sessions." is not 100% true. The technology has got better but it is not foolproof and you are just kidding yourself if you think that no fake tags will get past the NCRS judges.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plastic Pig: Your avatar is offensive to all Americans who respect the Office of the Presidency, no matter who is in that office. I wish you would change it. It has no place here. Its offensive and disrespectful, no matter your political leanings.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,994 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 32361ARTHUR
The statement that "The 'technology' now exists to ferret out bogus trim tags on C2s and it is now a standard part of Flight Judging sessions." is not 100% true. The technology has got better but it is not foolproof and you are just kidding yourself if you think that no fake tags will get past the NCRS judges.
the tool used in the judging process is pretty spot on. it also helps to have a keen eye. a black car with red interior car is going to make you look harder then a green on black car. have you ever judged or taken a car though the process.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 1
Plastic Pig: Your avatar is offensive to all Americans who respect the Office of the Presidency, no matter who is in that office. I wish you would change it. It has no place here. Its offensive and disrespectful, no matter your political leanings.
Thanks for offering your opinion, your comment has been duly noted.

Get notified of new replies

To make your own trim tag

Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
the tool used in the judging process is pretty spot on. it also helps to have a keen eye. a black car with red interior car is going to make you look harder then a green on black car. have you ever judged or taken a car though the process.
I agree that MOST are caught, one way or another. I have only judged vintage motorcycles which is a completely different ball game. My point was just that its not IMPOSSIBLE to fool some of the judges some of the time especially if the reward is great enough.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:45 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Roy- as member #182 and as active as you were in the NCRS, you know better than most the answers to your judging own questions above. Why play 'ignorant' and pretend you don't know?

Why drag out your worn old story (again) of how you got yourself suspended from judging events and kicked off the NCRS board? What's that got to do with this topic of trim tags?

Never mind- I just answered my own question.
In the last 25 years I've been to a NCRS meet 4 times and judging has changed ( so I'm not up on any new changes )

As fare as this old story as you put it , how would you feel if you could not tell your side of an event.(would you be just a "little" upset??) I think you would!

I've seen here that there are quit a few people that don't like your statements on other questions , I don't know you or ever met you and I don't dislike you ,because you have the right to your opinion. I just don't understand your attitude towards me. I just asks a question and you were kind to answer it , then on the second question you got attitude when you saw my handle.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

In the last 25 years I've been to a NCRS meet 4 times and judging has changed ( so I'm not up on any new changes )

As fare as this old story as you put it , how would you feel if you could not tell your side of an event.(would you be just a "little" upset??) I think you would!

I've seen here that there are quit a few people that don't like your statements on other questions , I don't know you or ever met you and I don't dislike you ,because you have the right to your opinion. I just don't understand your attitude towards me. I just asks a question and you were kind to answer it , then on the second question you got attitude when you saw my handle.
Roy, you need to come to the dark side, face it you're just not their type.

Quick Reply: make your own trim tag