C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Would you go Vinyl or leather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:55 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 63 seats are black vinyl and they are still cherry. My car is no where near original. I would love to have leather seats that are no higher than my original 63 seats yet have what I think you call the bolsters be more pronounced. Does anybody make a leather seat like that or would I need to get mine custom done? What would be the approximate cost of both seats?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:32 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

l suggested we do the doors in the 62 style as that metal section on the doors is badly dinted in our 61 , and that would solve that problem from happening again, they must get damages quite easily
It can be done (I've done it lots of times), but don't forget that you'll have to modify the nut plates on the door to get the 62 door pulls to work. The front hole is in the correct position. You'll also have to either change or modify the large access plate, to accomodate the reflectors that are on the 62 panels. It's easier to just by the repros. There is a left and a right, here is a link to what it looks like http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-door...ight-1962.html. Everything else will line up. Personally I like the look of the "softer" 62 door panels. I've never been a fan of that metal on the doors.......looks cheap to me. BTW, you'll also want to make sure that when you order the interior, that you buy 62 kick panels. They will fit, and will be covered with whatever carpet you use. Good luck.

Mike Coletta
Old 04-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Mietta
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike , l to have been thinking about doing our 61 doors in 62 panels , l also think the metal section damages easy, and maybe the seat in 62 covers as well , thats if they fit ,l'm pretty sure it would be far more expensive to have them done by a trimmer than buying them from AK , and getting them shipped to Australia , l think l'm driving my husband crazy, but at least now he's 99% sure we will go leather , our car will never be stock standard it has a 350 and different gear box , but l would keep the exterior original l really love those big white wall tyres
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
OzVetteJohn
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mietta
l'm trying to convince my husband to go leather , although we have just received the new dash pad from Al Knoch and l though it would be best to do the fit out from the same company , but the dash pad is vinyl is this going to matter? , living in Australia there aren't many corvette's around to compare , we have been trying to get a look at a couple , this is why l joined this forum to get advice from people who own a corvette, there is a corvette convention next weekend and we will definitely be going for a look , l appreciate any advice greatly Mietta
I noticed you are in Australia (I have a 65 coupe and am in Sydney). I am in same dilema. I have read that Al Knoch foam is definitely the best and my feeling is to go for leather but
i am waiting to do a few things on the car before I do the interior. Let me know how you get on.

John McBain john.mcbain@centuria.com.au
Old 04-17-2011, 09:58 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi, l can't decide on vinyl or leather seats for our 61 corvette , we are doing a full interior refit , any suggestions , l have read on a forum somewhere the leather wasn't wearing well, l know they came out in vinyl, should l just stick to it?
Your backside will "stick to" vinyl because it does not breathe. Some leathers are almost as hot, others (especially with teeny holes) are cooler to sit on.

I prefer cloth in all my vehicles because it's warm in cold weather and cool when it's hot. With A/C (windows always rolled up) and Scotchgard, modern fabrics are good for at least a decade of heavy use.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default A class act interior

It doesn't get any better than this. And its also exact looking as the OE plastic, and it may even pass as OE unless you feel it... its a very heavy leather by actual weight and with no apparent bruises ...

......exact as the OE seams

.....a closer view

.....nice puffy pleats
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Opinions welcome!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...post1579927433
Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

........ living in Australia there aren't many corvette's around to compare , we have been trying to get a look at a couple , this is why l joined this forum to get advice from people who own a corvette, there is a corvette convention next weekend and we will definitely be going for a look , l appreciate any advice greatly Mietta
NCRS (NATIONAL CORVETTE RESTORERS SOCIETY) has a Chapter in AUSTRALIA.

SEE www.ncrs.org then look at Contacts and you will see http://www.ncrs.com.au/ for people in your country that are Corvette crazy and can help you with your restoration.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing against the boys in ncrs Australia but last count there was about 8 members in a Aussie land. The NCRS forum is the better deal for accurate factory knowledge. I'm an Aussie and joined the NCRS forum and found it extremely helpful for factory correct components.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

And another old thread comes back from the dead.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

I meet the couple nearly a year ago and that was after this post ? Who digs up this stuff ?
Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default 'AL Knoch leathers

Hi, l can't decide on vinyl or leather seats for our 61 corvette , we are doing a full interior refit , any suggestions , l have read on a forum somewhere the leather wasn't wearing well, l know they came out in vinyl, should l just stick to it?
The feel and smell of leather cannot be beat...Harley riders love leather too and not plastic, however you may get a argument from the the cows the leather came from....

whats below is full leather seats from Al Knoch...the pattern is of a 62`s as each year has a different pattern or they can even be personalized if desired

....the leather by weight is heavier that the other brands
Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys, and the photo's are a great help Mike , my husband and l have just reading the comments together and he was blown away , the leather looks awesome , l suggested we do the doors in the 62 style as that metal section on the doors is badly dinted in our 61 , and that would solve that problem from happening again, they must get damages quite easily .

I agree 100%. I decided to do that on my '61 interior too.

But...I ordered '61 door panels .... and had them covered in the '62 pattern. That way I could still use the '61 arm rest. They fit the '61 door holes perfectly without any modification to the door itself.

If you order the AOK seats, the side bolsters on the seats and the stock '61 arm rest both have rounded edges, which makes for a pleasant coordinated appearance...a bonus I wasn't even thinking about at the time. The stock '62 arm rest are much more square...

Stan
Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,892 Likes on 797 Posts

My '65 is vinyl......I like it fine. If you dont care about originality and NCRS, leather would be great.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 AM
rab67
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by unclecuzz
I replaced the vinyl with leather in my '62 during restoration. Huge difference in comfort and looks. Not good for NCRS, but my butt is happier.
I did the same thing in my 67 since I never plan to take it to an NCRS event. The vinyl was cracking up pretty bad. I like the leather.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

When I have a choice, I always go with CLOTH, the most comfortable seat covering IMO. Scotchgard makes it last for decades, without slippery silicone or Hide Food labor.

Quick Reply: Would you go Vinyl or leather?