C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I need help clock removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Tom Schaefer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help clock removal

Hi wondering if someone could help me with the removal of my clock on my 66I got everything off but 2 wires that feel spring loaded afraid to pull to much ,thanks Tom
Old 04-11-2011, 01:02 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 460 Posts

Tom

If it's like the clock in my 65, the connections are shown in the attached PDF file. Connector might need some tugging. Hopefully it has not been rewired in some fashion.

Dave Z
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Clock connector and lamps.pdf (69.1 KB, 504 views)
Old 04-11-2011, 01:07 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Tom,
I just did a clock in-and out quartz conversion on my 67...yes there are 2 wires with the light bulbs attached to them at the back of the clock ..they are a push in -pull out set up...and 2 ea spring loaded u type spring loaded things that secure the clock in place and a single clip on (at the 6 Oclock position)light w/ a green shade on the bulb shield that clips on the clock housing.that illuminates your heater and radio controlls..I just simply removed the spring clips to let the entire clock come out and then pulled the 2 light bulbs and their sockets out ....I removed the clock clips from under neith but when i reinstalled I did have my glove box out and it was a snap that way

Bluzrocker
Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Tom Schaefer
Advanced

thank you Dave got them
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Tom Schaefer
Advanced

Thanks bluzrocker I got them with your help
Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Astrojet
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi

It's easy, and fast to remove a clock. Just use a claw hammer and pry on the clock and dash as hard as you can...........

No seriously, follow this:

1. Remove a side panel from the console. I always remove the driver side.
2. Reach up behind the clock and feel around for 3 rectangular metal clips. These are actually spring steel clips that hold the clock in position on the dash.
3. Push and compress just a bit one each clip. Once it is compressed about 1/8 of an inch, it will slide sideways when you push on it and off the "leg" or "pin" of the clock housing. There are 3 clips you must remove.
4. Once all the clips are out, and hopefully in a safe place to find later on, pull the clock out of the dash towards the rear of the car. Once it's out a few inches, reach behind it and remove the bulb and socket from the clock.

To install the clock, reverse those steps. Make sure when you push on the clips when seating them on the legs of the clock housing, you hear a slight "click" or "pop." They have an indentation on them, and that needs to be seated firmly so they don't come off on their own.

I guarantee you, that removing a clock will give you a sore back from laying upside down between the driver seat and under the dash with your back across the door sill plate, you will get 3 scratches on your hand that you use to remove the clips, and you will bump your head twice on the steering wheel.

Mike
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

never had any situations develope bad.......
when I disconnected the battery before doing anything under the dash.

Bluzrocker
Old 04-11-2011, 01:47 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Astrojet
Hi

It's easy, and fast to remove a clock. Just use a claw hammer and pry on the clock and dash as hard as you can...........

No seriously, follow this:

1. Remove a side panel from the console. I always remove the driver side.
2. Reach up behind the clock and feel around for 3 rectangular metal clips. These are actually spring steel clips that hold the clock in position on the dash.
3. Push and compress just a bit one each clip. Once it is compressed about 1/8 of an inch, it will slide sideways when you push on it and off the "leg" or "pin" of the clock housing. There are 3 clips you must remove.
4. Once all the clips are out, and hopefully in a safe place to find later on, pull the clock out of the dash towards the rear of the car. Once it's out a few inches, reach behind it and remove the bulb and socket from the clock.

To install the clock, reverse those steps. Make sure when you push on the clips when seating them on the legs of the clock housing, you hear a slight "click" or "pop." They have an indentation on them, and that needs to be seated firmly so they don't come off on their own.

I guarantee you, that removing a clock will give you a sore back from laying upside down between the driver seat and under the dash with your back across the door sill plate, you will get 3 scratches on your hand that you use to remove the clips, and you will bump your head twice on the steering wheel.

Mike
Once you have done it a few times,all you have to do is feel around back there. No need to get contorted.

Get notified of new replies

To I need help clock removal

Quick Reply: I need help clock removal