C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

10 percent annual Federal tax on your collector car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 10 percent annual Federal tax on your collector car?

I trust that there is no member of our community, no manner their political persuasion who would support this bill put forth by likely the most vacuous politico in our congress. Yes indeed it is Mr. Schumer the one and same anti-2nd amendment,,,,get out of the way when there is a tv camera present as you are likely to get run over,,,,Senator from New York.

http://www.saac.com/files/newsletter...s-04-01-11.pdf

Basically the proposal is to designate a 10 percent annual tax on every collector car in the country. Not defined is exactly what a collector car is and who would decide,,,,but you can rest assured that these miscreants in conjunction with their minions at the IRS will come up with a definition on how to pluck the most amount of feathers from the goose with the least amount of squawking.

Think it can't happen. Calyfornua a number of years ago found a way to re-assess every vehicle when sold at its selling price. Previously annual registration fees (among the highest in the nation anyhow) were based upon the original selling price on a car, and this number was depreciated each year to where the car had lost all value for tax purposes. This then allowed you to pay registration on its depreciated value.

However the money grubbing snakes in our government found a way to base the registration on the selling price of a used vehicle. So a car that may have been say 200 dollars annually to register because it was 30 years old, if now sold at a 100,000.00 dollars would find the tax some 1,500 dollars annually for the new owner,,,,for a car that often would get between 0 and a 1,000 miles per year. Oh yes on top of this, they collect upwards of almost 10 percent in sales tax when the car is sold to a new owner.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

April Fools.

http://www.saac.com/index.php?option...d=258&Itemid=2
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

That has been discussed on several forums. It was all an APRIL FOOLS joke.

Jim
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 PM
bobwoodkat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do they come up with this kind of crap!!! They find way's to tax EVERYTHING and now they want to tax our hard earned collector cars over and over ond over again. Plus think of all the cars that will end up in the scrap heap because they just are not worth paying the tax on, or that guy who loves his car and spends years scrimping and saving to restore his car and now these scums come by and slap a tax on him. We sooo need a tax revolt!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
bobwoodkat
Instructor

GOT ME I am still sitting here
Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Well they got me good on this one,,,,partially because they could not have picked a more insipid Senator as their foil for their posting,,,,,who more than he would be more likely to propose such inane legislation,,,which made the story that more believable. I had been just suspicious enough that I had run it thru Snopes before posting and found nothing on it.

The good to come out of this however might be that the uproar caused by this may clue some of our politicos with ideas such as this, that perhaps they might reconsider. I suspect the only other groups that could raise so much with hell politicians as old car aficionados would be either the Gray Panthers or the NRA.

Calyfornua politicos have been trying for years to force old car hobbyists and collectors to bring their cars into compliance with the horrific maze of smog regulations (in spite of the fact that most of these cars see very few miles in a year,,,,lawn mowers likely create far more smog than the old cars) to not much success. Even the eco-nuts that run our state have been reluctant to force this issue.

But as noted in my original posting,,,,they did ram thru this re-assessment of auto values for registration purposes while we were were snoozing. So vigilance remains the order of the day.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

It didn't get me. Proposals like this are actually made all the time by fringe and mainstream politicians.

The current poltical climate would never allow the above..

The toilet that is Washington will be flushed again in 2012. Theres still some lingering turds from the 2010 elections. Damn those low flow toilets.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
It didn't get me. Proposals like this are actually made all the time by fringe and mainstream politicians.

The current poltical climate would never allow the above..

The toilet that is Washington will be flushed again in 2012. Theres still some lingering turds from the 2010 elections. Damn those low flow toilets.

O/T Now some politician in Florida wants undocumented aliens to get in-state college tuition breaks just like legal Florida residents....IF they agree to apply for citizenship
after graduation.

How about becoming a citizen FIRST?
How about illegal aliens can't use a state-run institution at ANY price?

Where do these morons come up with this stuff ??

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 04-06-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
O/T Now some politician in Florida wants undocumented aliens to get in-state college tuition breaks just like legal Florida residents....IF they agree to apply for citizenship
after graduation.

FRANKIE for PRESIDENT!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

after graduation.

Oregon recently came up with the same idea only they don't care if you become a citizen or not. Should we be glad they don't let them in free? I can't begin to understand what they're thinking.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

after graduation.

Calyfornua too,,,,and we already have a 26 billion dollar budget deficit and whining and crying that it is the selfish taxpayer who refuses to pay more pounds of flesh,,,,even with the highest gasoline, income and sales taxes in the country,,,,while uncounted government employees retire with lifetime "free" dental/vision/medical care for selves and families, and 300 to 500 thousand annual pensions (with cost of living increases). Oh yes even at 50 years of age and only 25 to 30 years of employement.

All the while the teachers unions (all unions) are whining that we have among the lowest expense per school students among all states,,,,,leaving out for a moment that we have some 3 to 5 million illegal aliens enrolled in our schools that distort all statistics in the expenditures per student and the vast majority of their families not contributing a dime(or very few) to the taxes required to educate, medicate, incarcerate them.

But the weather is pretty good and there is a car show somewhere 10 months a year.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Ok, I can see how this was originally somewhat related to corvettes if you stretched it, but to continue on after you know its an April Fools joke is too much. Cant you guys go over to the political forum and blowviate? Say whatever you want there, I come here to learn about corvettes and talk with guys with a common interest no matter if they are progressives or right wingers.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by narlee
Oregon recently came up with the same idea only they don't care if you become a citizen or not. Should we be glad they don't let them in free? I can't begin to understand what they're thinking.
I wonder....would I, as an overtaxed American citizen who plays by the rules get an in state tuition break if I pack up and move there and go to college?

Bet I wouldn't. And I bet just to be spiteful the popo would harass me if I didn't get my plates swapped over within 30 days too.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Better get use to the illegals........the Dems aren't going to do anything about them because Hispanics vote overwhelmingly Democrat. The Republicans love them because they can pay them slave wages, with no benefits, and they never complain about anything. Republicans are against amnesty because then they would have to pay them a living wage, with minimum benefits.....and they will still vote Democrat.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rider 1
Ok, I can see how this was originally somewhat related to corvettes if you stretched it, but to continue on after you know its an April Fools joke is too much. Cant you guys go over to the political forum and blowviate? Say whatever you want there, I come here to learn about corvettes and talk with guys with a common interest no matter if they are progressives or right wingers.
Then just hit the back button, close the damn thread, and open another that is more to your liking. Is somebody holding a gun to your head and making you read it ? It really is that simple.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Sebago Shark
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

It's believable cause that's the way the libs think. Take from people that work or already paid their dues so they can keep giving to the freeloaders and illegals, oops, sorry I meant undocumented citizens, that just so happen to breed like rabbits and won't work but sure know who to vote for.
There, I feel better now.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ld/?refer=news
Old 04-06-2011, 06:17 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastic Pig
Then just hit the back button, close the damn thread, and open another that is more to your liking. Is somebody holding a gun to your head and making you read it ? It really is that simple.

No, it is not really that simple. There is a "Off Topic" forum just for things like this. I agree with Easy Rider 1, take it somewhere else!

Get notified of new replies

To 10 percent annual Federal tax on your collector car?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastic Pig

No it's not that simple.....why should I have to avoid ANY thread just so you can spew your right wing dogma on the Corvette Forum? I thought to start with, this thread was an interesting topic. But as usual, it's always some wing nut that has turn it into a right wing propaganda thread. Go to the political forum if that's what you want to talk about.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
No it's not that simple.....why should I have to avoid ANY thread just so you can spew your right wing dogma on the Corvette Forum? I thought to start with, this thread was an interesting topic. But as usual, it's always some wing nut that has turn it into a right wing propaganda thread. Go to the political forum if that's what you want to talk about.
Interesting, even though I never posted anything about the topic of this thread, I am somehow spewing my right wing dogma.

Odd that the only post that mentioned Republicans and Democrats was yours.

You sir, are the epitome of the pot calling the kettle black. You have shared your political views many many times in this section.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Miami Stingray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One look at your avatar says everything. Little hypocritical about calling the kettle black.

Quick Reply: 10 percent annual Federal tax on your collector car?