C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sta-bil ethanol ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 AM
gscott
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Sta-bil ethanol ??

Is sta-bil ethanol something we should be using in our fuel systems ?

Gary
Old 04-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

No need. The sky is not falling.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Snake oil.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:08 AM
gscott
Burning Brakes

The reason that I thought about using it is I read a news story the other day about a VW diesel that had algae growing thru the entire fuel system caused by ethanol in the fuel that had not been treated by the owner resulting in $12,500 that VW was not going to cover .

Gary
Old 04-02-2011, 11:12 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by gscott
Is sta-bil ethanol something we should be using in our fuel systems ?

Gary
I know about Sta-bil. What is Sta-bil ethanol?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
gscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeM
I think that is supposed to treat your fuel system to remove the bad stuff in ethanol.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by gscott
The reason that I thought about using it is I read a news story the other day about a VW diesel that had algae growing thru the entire fuel system caused by ethanol in the fuel that had not been treated by the owner resulting in $12,500 that VW was not going to cover .

Gary
There is no ethanol in diesel fuel.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

It protects your car's fuel system from all manner of gruesome, terrible things that won't happen anyway.

"Marketing, son, Marketing....that's where the money is..."
Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 AM
gscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
There is no ethanol in diesel fuel.
Well, it was good reading !

Old 04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

"I think that is supposed to treat your fuel system to remove the bad stuff in ethanol."

The most effective means by which to treat your fuel system to remove the bad stuff in ethanol is to remove the crooked lizards in Washington DC who are trading support for the destructive liquid in return for votes from corn producers, much as Gore admitted to not long ago.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
It has a little demulsifier in it to separate water. Ethanol and most other alcohols are 'hydroscorbic', it attracts and holds water. That is why the alcohol in your beer does not separate even though they are different density.

As John said it is marketing.

Joe

Old 04-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by devildog
Mike,
It has a little demulsifier in it to separate water. Ethanol and most other alcohols are 'hydroscorbic', it attracts and holds water. That is why the alcohol in your beer does not separate even though they are different density.

Joe
Ethanol is corn and corn is full of water. what are you removing
Old 04-02-2011, 12:41 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Mike,

Joe
I assumed, maybe wrongly, the OP was making a product distinction between "Stabil" and Stabil Ethanol".

I know what Stabil is. I don't know what Stabil Ethanol is.

If you want to get moisture/water content out of your E-10 gasoline, use gas line anti-freeze or small amounts of methanol. That will remove it. Or so I have been told by my marine dealer. I have used it with success in some of my small engines.

If that Stabil Ethanol contains an additive (methanol) that will combine water/ethanol and gasoline and allow it to be pulled through the in small concentrations, then it would be a help.

There is a known problem with E-10/gasoline forming a gell like substance that will plug your fuel system. From what I've read, that gel is caused by the binding of the water/ethanol and dropping from suspension in the gasoline.

This gel seems to be predominately seem in marine applications, small engines and other where the fuel systems aren't sealed well or the gasoline put in the tank has not been stored in a sealed container.

Last edited by MikeM; 04-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:57 PM
devildog
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, I did not say specifically as i should have, the MSDS sheet on Stabil Ethanol list an amine that is the demulsifier to separate the ethanol and water. The straight Stabil does not.

The ethanol/water gel is not as likely to form with the amine demulsifier in it . All fuel gasoline, diesel etc. will over time form some gels (polymers, old fashion 'varnish').

This water-etahnol (and other normal contaminates) makes gels that looks like strawberry Jello.

Now, the water is in very small amounts, less than 100-200 ppm. but, it is dispersed through out the tank and causes no problem. Water collects in all storage tanks, a big terminal tank of gasoline can have few inches or couple of feet of water in the bottom. The gasoline floating on the top will have this 200 ppm of water dispersed.

If the temperature lowers from ambient 70 F to 33F the gasoline will hold or disperse only 50 ppm of water. The remaining 150 ppm is now FREE water that collects in larger droplets that will demulsify (drop out) to bottom of the tank (1 million gallon storage or 18 gal in Corvette.

The methanol attracts water just like ethanol, but will not readily gel. But, it keeps the 200 ppm of water dispersed (tiny, almost weightless water) . So, even if the temperature goes to -20F, it will not freeze the lines. That is why you dump a can of methanol in the tank in the winter in Indiana.

The Stabil or even Stabil Ethanol is great stuff for chain saws, standby generators, etc. But, for cars that are drive even a few times a year, probably no need.

I assumed, maybe wrongly, the OP was making a product distinction between "Stabil" and Stabil Ethanol".

I know what Stabil is. I don't know what Stabil Ethanol is.

If you want to get moisture/water content out of your E-10 gasoline, use gas line anti-freeze or small amounts of methanol. That will remove it. Or so I have been told by my marine dealer. I have used it with success in some of my small engines.

If that Stabil Ethanol contains an additive (methanol) that will combine water/ethanol and gasoline and allow it to be pulled through the in small concentrations, then it would be a help.

There is a known problem with E-10/gasoline forming a gell like substance that will plug your fuel system. From what I've read, that gel is caused by the binding of the water/ethanol and dropping from suspension in the gasoline.

This gel seems to be predominately seem in marine applications, small engines and other where the fuel systems aren't sealed well or the gasoline put in the tank has not been stored in a sealed container.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:46 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,630 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Old Cars Weekly recently had an article about ethanaol fuel and the tendency for it to suffer from "Phase Shift" or otherwise - just break down over time. The water absorbed by the ethanol, the eithanol and the gas alll come out of solution and stratify with the water on bottom, and supposedly they can't be re-mixed. Stabil Ethanol supposed helps prevent this as mentioned above.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

The Stabil or even Stabil Ethanol is great stuff for chain saws, standby generators, etc. But, for cars that are drive even a few times a year, probably no need.
That would be my thinking also. I have had good experience from using the Stabil in small engines. I've never tried and never heard of Stabil Ethanol until today.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
Old Cars Weekly recently had an article about ethanaol fuel and the tendency for it to suffer from "Phase Shift" or otherwise - just break down over time. The water absorbed by the ethanol, the eithanol and the gas alll come out of solution and stratify with the water on bottom, and supposedly they can't be re-mixed. Stabil Ethanol supposed helps prevent this as mentioned above.
That's my understanding also. It's usually called "phase separation".

Get notified of new replies

To Sta-bil ethanol ??

Old 04-02-2011, 07:03 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,587 Likes on 820 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

When we moved to MN from FL 6 years ago, my wife began putting her Eclipse Turbo Spyder in storage for 6 months of the year. When we took the car out of storage the first 2 years, we had problems with the injectors. Our mechanic (who, BTW, owns a very nicely restored '67 Camero) recommended that she start using non-oxygenated gasoline. She has to drive to the next town to get non-oxygenated gas but she only puts about 800 miles a year on the car so it's not a big deal. Now, each fall before she puts her car away, I add Sta-bil to the tank and tell her to get it topped up with her non-oxygenated gas. Since starting to do that, we haven't had any problems in the Spring when we bring the car out of storage. Don't know if the difference is the non-oxygenated gas, the Sta-bil, or both.

-- Steve
Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra66
"I think that is supposed to treat your fuel system to remove the bad stuff in ethanol."

The most effective means by which to treat your fuel system to remove the bad stuff in ethanol is to remove the crooked lizards in Washington DC who are trading support for the destructive liquid in return for votes from corn producers, much as Gore admitted to not long ago.
That would be my choice!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
It protects your car's fuel system from all manner of gruesome, terrible things that won't happen anyway.

"Marketing, son, Marketing....that's where the money is..."

Quick Reply: Sta-bil ethanol ??