C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How many have been disapointed with the Color of your Vette after respray

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 AM
BuffaloBILL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How many have been disapointed with the Color of your Vette after respray

Well I pulled the trigger I recently picked up the 66 Coupe at the body shop having sprayed it to original Milano Maroon and have been assembling the car this past month. My applogies to Forum memebers who have Millano Maroon corvette's please do not take offense but I can not get used to this color and it was actually detering my enthusiasm on working on the car. I did speak to the original owner and part of the condition of me purchasing the car was that I was going back to original color She understood and I have decided to pull the trigger and have the car resprayed to my original color choice of Elkhart Blue and so far I am extermely happy about my choice. I did have to dissasemble everything again prior to taking it back to the shop and the only regret that I have is the addional expense.

Has anyone on this forum had regretts regarding Color decision that they made.

I will post pictures of the car soon in both Colors

BuffaloBill

Last edited by BuffaloBILL; 04-01-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:44 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Bill,

Any color would have been better than what I had when I bought the car. I just got lucky when I found out the original color was Black. It shows imperfections but at least it is a color I can live with.

Steve

Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 AM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not me! My car was originally riverside red, but when I bought it, it had been sprayed a red with a lot of orange in it. I had pictures photoshopped 3 different color combos before I made my final decision. I couldn't be happier with the paint choice... now I can't wait to get it back together so I can drive it! In the meantime, I have to settle for drooling at all the new pictures I have.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

no apology needed, it is your car.

there is a reason even henry Ford moved away from the 'you can have any color you like, as long as it is black'

I think Jackfit got as far as the door jams when painting his car, then bailed on the original color choice.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:56 AM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 985 Likes on 492 Posts

IMHO Milano Maroon is kind of a tough one. It doesn't have enough metallic and appears a little too brown for me. It seems like Chevrolet had the same thought and went to Marlboro maroon in '67, it has more metallic and less brown.

Ray (by the way, I can criticize all I want, my '66 is Milano Maroon !)
Old 04-01-2011, 05:02 PM
C2Dan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pw2006
I had pictures photoshopped 3 different color combos before I made my final decision.
How did you manage that? I've been trying to get the correct color codes for Nassau Blue in Photoshop and couldn't figure out how to do it. If I analyze an actual image of my car, the codes vary a lot, depending on which part of the picture is analyzed.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:18 PM
pw2006
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C2Dan
How did you manage that? I've been trying to get the correct color codes for Nassau Blue in Photoshop and couldn't figure out how to do it. If I analyze an actual image of my car, the codes vary a lot, depending on which part of the picture is analyzed.
We couldn't get the exact colors I was looking for, but we got pretty close. For example, here is an example of one of the blue renderings I had done, and then what the car looks like after the actual paint. I plan on taking some photoshop classes to see if I can figure the application out.

Original photoshop rendering

Actual car
Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Outstanding looking car, dig the exhaust ports.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

The paint and body work on the blue roadster is OUTSTANDING !!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:33 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

very nice color. jim
Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Bill's photos

Here are photos that Bill requested be posted.

Fresh Milano Maroon Paint:

And Fresher Elkhart Blue

Edit: 4/2/2011 - More pictures from Bill

Last edited by 62Jeff; 04-02-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I like milano maroon. It's a little different than the usual reds and blues. Most cars are dissapointing to look at with fresh paint and no trim. I used to try and discourage customers from rushing over to look at the car fresh out of the booth all bare and the paint wheels on. I'll bet you will be much happier when you get it all together with nice wheels and out in the sun.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Bruce Wayne
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 00fxd
I like milano maroon. It's a little different than the usual reds and blues. Most cars are dissapointing to look at with fresh paint and no trim. I used to try and discourage customers from rushing over to look at the car fresh out of the booth all bare and the paint wheels on. I'll bet you will be much happier when you get it all together with nice wheels and out in the sun.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:26 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Here are photos that Bill requested be posted.

Fresh Milano Maroon Paint:

And Fresher Elkhart Blue

Jeff if you are doing the painting here you do good work from the pic,s.. Both colors looks great.... Robert
Old 04-01-2011, 11:30 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Jeff if you are doing the painting here you do good work from the pic,s.. Both colors looks great.... Robert
Hi Robert,
Nope, I'm no painter. I just own the PhotoBucket account where the pics are hosted.

Jeff
Old 04-02-2011, 08:22 AM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi Robert,
Nope, I'm no painter. I just own the PhotoBucket account where the pics are hosted.

Jeff
Well whoever it is he is GOOD !!!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 AM
BuffaloBILL
Pro

Hi Robert,

Jeff
Thanks Jeff
I appreciate your support and taking the time to post the Pics

Also previous members stated that the Millano Maroon may look better for me once the chrome and trim is complete and on the car I also was of the same mind set That is why I took the car home and I did assemble all the trim and installed the Tranny and engine as well as all the lights/bumpers door handles ect. I kept trying to persuade myself that the I could live with the car in its original color After speaking to my brother we figured that the car will never be submitted for any NCRS judging and pulled the trigger on the color change

Thanks to all
Bill

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To How many have been disapointed with the Color of your Vette after respray

Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM
fullcontrol
Paid Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Why didn't you finish the assembly and sell the car? You can always find another to paint your color and the first paint job would not have gone to waste..
Old 04-02-2011, 12:24 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rayvaflav
IMHO Milano Maroon is kind of a tough one. It doesn't have enough metallic and appears a little too brown for me. It seems like Chevrolet had the same thought and went to Marlboro maroon in '67, it has more metallic and less brown.

Ray (by the way, I can criticize all I want, my '66 is Milano Maroon !)
Here's what I found made MM "pop" in the sun. The light gray primer brings out the red. I was surprised how much better the same paint looks in the sun with the gray primer instead of dark brown primer even though they look the same in the garage.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:45 PM
BuffaloBILL
Pro

Originally Posted by fullcontrol
Why didn't you finish the assembly and sell the car? You can always find another to paint your color and the first paint job would not have gone to waste..
This car is special for me for me, it took nearly 4 years to persuade the previous owner to let me buy it (We have become Good freinds through this process) .. To be honest with you even though I love restoring cars it takes about 2 years for me to wind down and relax and I am not ready to go thru this process that quickly

Bill

Quick Reply: How many have been disapointed with the Color of your Vette after respray