C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Right Front Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 AM
62RDSTR
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Right Front Ride Height

Good Morning,

Over the last few years I have installed fresh front coil springs (4/08) and new rear springs (9/09).

Last week I took the car around the block and noticed it was very hard to turn left; in addition, the front right seemed low. My initial guess is that I had a flat but there was none.

I pulled in the garage and the front right is definitely lower than the left side. I haven't jacked her up but I did notice a few things from underneath.

The shock mounts on both front shocks wiggle where they connect to the lower A arm. Could this be caused by the springs settling in?

The ride height before all the changes were (as measured from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well):
Front: 28.75"
Rear: 26.5

Unfortunately I didn't document ride height measurements after everything was done. However, here they are as of today:
Front Left: 28.25" Front Right: 27.25"
Rear Left:: 28.125" Rear Right: 27.375"

As you can tell there was a huge raise in the rear and that the right side sits exactly 1" lower in the front.

I've taken the following measurements:

Left inner pivot shaft to ground: 9.75" (Serv Man = 11 +/- .5")
Right inner pivot shaft to ground: 9.625"

Rake Measurement:
Left Front: 8.125" Right Front 7.5" (Serv Man 6.7")
Left Rear: 10" Right Rear 9.625" (Serv Man 8.2")

Middle Headlights to ground:
Left Side: 27.5" Right Side: 26.5" (Noland Adams 28.4")

Yes I know it is a lot of numbers for a Sunday morning. I plan on working on her after church and doing the following:

1) Release/realign the stabilizer links and bar
2) Remove shocks and determine if bad (I'm assuming if they are simple to compress they are bad??)
3) Try to determine if the spring is seated correctly in housing without taking car apart.
4) Take additional measurements on frame components (suggestions)?
5) Check body mounts to see if something is wrong here. Quick question, is it possible to replace body mounts with the body still on? I would think you can loosen them all and work them in but I'm not sure if this is possible.

Thanks you all. This car has been running good for a few years with thanks to this forum.

Jim

Last edited by 62RDSTR; 03-27-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Sunday morning spelling errors
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I think I would try your number 3 first. That seems to be a commom problem. How often have you used the car since you installed the new springs?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:54 AM
62RDSTR
Racer

Originally Posted by 5thvet
I think I would try your number 3 first. That seems to be a commom problem. How often have you used the car since you installed the new springs?
In April 08 (coil springs, stabilizer bushing/links) = 87,700
In Sept 09 (rear leaf, new stabilizer bar) = 88,500
Today = 88,853

Front Springs have 1,153 miles on them
Rear springs have 333 miles on them

jim
Old 03-27-2011, 12:05 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 62RDSTR
G
The shock mounts on both front shocks wiggle where they connect to the lower A arm. Could this be caused by the springs settling in?
The shock mount bracket should be firmly bolted to the lower control arm regardless of spring condition.

The shock as it mounts to that bracket, can get loose however, if the mount bushings wear out.

When I got my 62 back on the road more regularly about a year ago after a long time in hibernation, the lower shock mount bushings slowly started to degrade as I put miles on those hold hard things. I ended up with a knocking noise every time I hit a bump, which proved to originate at the bushings. New shocks was the solution for me.

As for how to tell if a shock is good or bad:
1) Traditional shocks (oil-filled like the original Delco shocks your car was delivered with when new) - If they compress easily, they are bad.

2) Gas-charged shocks (like a Monroe Sens-a-track) - If they don't automatically expand to full length when you remove them from the car, they are bad.

Jeff
Old 03-27-2011, 12:26 PM
62RDSTR
Racer

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
The shock mount bracket should be firmly bolted to the lower control arm regardless of spring condition.

The shock as it mounts to that bracket, can get loose however, if the mount bushings wear out.

When I got my 62 back on the road more regularly about a year ago after a long time in hibernation, the lower shock mount bushings slowly started to degrade as I put miles on those hold hard things. I ended up with a knocking noise every time I hit a bump, which proved to originate at the bushings. New shocks was the solution for me.

As for how to tell if a shock is good or bad:
1) Traditional shocks (oil-filled like the original Delco shocks your car was delivered with when new) - If they compress easily, they are bad.

2) Gas-charged shocks (like a Monroe Sens-a-track) - If they don't automatically expand to full length when you remove them from the car, they are bad.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff,

I'm pulling the shocks off first thing and checking them out. When I did the coil springs I did replace the bushings on the shock so they should be pretty fresh.

Jim
Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Jeff,

I'm pulling the shocks off first thing and checking them out. When I did the coil springs I did replace the bushings on the shock so they should be pretty fresh.

Jim
When I removed my oil-filled Delco "spiral" shocks last year, which I'd originally installed new in 1982 - I found it took one finger to fully compress them. They were definitely shot even though they had just a few hundred miles on them over all that time.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:44 PM
62RDSTR
Racer

Found two problems so far.

When removing the front left tire I noticed it wiggled. All the lug nuts where tight and torqued but the drum assembly and tire were loose on the spindle.

You could hand-loosen the castle nut until it spun against the cotter pin. I think one bearing (the outside most) was installed backwards. The problem is when you tighten the castle nut to 33lbs and back it off just enough to insert the cotter, the hole in the spindle is too far away allowing the assembly to get real loose.

I added an additional washer and was able to tighten and back off and then insert the cotter pin. The wheel moves freely but the castle nut cannot spin like before.

Once that was done, I removed the shock, compressed the shaft, and there it stayed. It didn't even attempt to expand. In addition the shock mount was broken where the nut attaches it to the A arm.

I'll post more as I take more on. While all of this is jacked, I don't think it would make a difference on height.

jim
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

The problem is when you tighten the castle nut to 33lbs and back it off just enough to insert the cotter, the hole in the spindle is too far away allowing the assembly to get real loose.
You DO NOT want to torque that nut to 33 ft-lbs. and install the cotter pin; you'll destroy the bearings with that much preload. Read the wheel bearing adjustment instructions in the ST-12.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:55 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Lower front.

Check the body mounts...had that problem with my 58. Rear was lower took some time before I got the answer, springs ,shocks, tires.Bill.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
62RDSTR
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You DO NOT want to torque that nut to 33 ft-lbs. and install the cotter pin; you'll destroy the bearings with that much preload. Read the wheel bearing adjustment instructions in the ST-12.

Hi John,

I'm using the AIM, B97, which specifically calls for 400 inch lbs (33 ft lbs) and then to back off slightly until the holes align (no mention of additional re-torque specs).

I did look at the ST-12 which says to torque to 33, then to back off, and then to re-torque to 12lbs.

My torque wrench starts at 20 so I'm estimating the second torque measurement but in both cases they call for 33 lbs of initial torque and then to back off.

The drum spins freely at this point. Seems too loose in my opinion but I did it as close to those documents as possible.

Jim
Old 03-28-2011, 09:38 PM
62RDSTR
Racer

Originally Posted by jmschmit
Check the body mounts...had that problem with my 58. Rear was lower took some time before I got the answer, springs ,shocks, tires.Bill.
I'm kind of leaning towards that as well. I was thinking it was a front suspension issue but in all cases my measurements from various parts to the ground are nearly identical.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Right Front Ride Height

Quick Reply: Right Front Ride Height