C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Any one going to do the DRAGON in May

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default Any one going to do the DRAGON in May

Just looking to see if any one will be going to the run on the Dragon in may about around the 20th are so. Bailtmore hotel is one of the big get together place. If you have never been it will be great to do for sure. Robert
Old 03-18-2011, 02:54 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Tail of the Dragon...wow...did that 7 years ago with Miata's at the Gap, before I had my Vette...if anyone has a chance to do this, it's a hoot.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:46 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SIXTSVN
Tail of the Dragon...wow...did that 7 years ago with Miata's at the Gap, before I had my Vette...if anyone has a chance to do this, it's a hoot.
Alot of guys from the c5 section is going to due the run. I will go in my c2 if some others will go.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:53 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

sorry I dont what it is, can you fill in some details and maybe a link?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Romulus1960
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firstgear
sorry I dont what it is, can you fill in some details and maybe a link?
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

If you're into twisties... one of the best roads in the US to run. Famous for it's 11 mile stretch with 318 turns. Switchbacks, elevations changes, great scenary, often a motorcycle sliding by.. speeding isn't the problem... just don't cross the double yellow line.

It's more about good brakes and a power steering cooler than horsepower.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:51 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Romulus1960

If you're into twisties... one of the best roads in the US to run. Famous for it's 11 mile stretch with 318 turns. Switchbacks, elevations changes, great scenary, often a motorcycle sliding by.. speeding isn't the problem... just don't cross the double yellow line.

Thanks for posting this up this is just a nice little run go at your speed and a ton of vettes will be at this... Robert
Old 03-18-2011, 06:51 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Romulus1960

so it isnt about how fast but to enjoy....not like the Silver State Classic where they shut the road off and have at it....sounds nice, but alos seems lot of bikes as well.....
Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by firstgear
so it isnt about how fast but to enjoy....not like the Silver State Classic where they shut the road off and have at it....sounds nice, but alos seems lot of bikes as well.....
We did this last fall. I was very nervous about it because there are a lot of idiots that try to test themselves on that road. When we went there were no less than three squads set up with radar in different locations and the speed limit is 35. We still came up on an accident that just happened where some moron coming the other way in some fart can buggy crossed the center stripe and took out a lady going the other way. If we were there a minute sooner, it would have been us.

Try to go on a weekday. There are even more idiots on the weekends.

That road has so many turns and is so slow that it's kind of a pain in the **** after the first few minutes. You end up just watching the road and not any of the scenery. There are better roads, like the Cherohala Skyway in the area to have more fun on. That being said, you still have to drive the dragon to say you did it.

Gerry
Old 03-18-2011, 07:10 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 831 Likes on 575 Posts

Too many bikes....
Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Did it a few years ago on my KZ900. My cousin was on his Shadow. We got stuck near the beginning behind some trucks. Then about half way through we had to stop because a truck had run in a ditch and couldn't get out! One trucker said the map was showing that as a "US Highway". We finally got around them but were never really able to "enjoy" the curves. It is a nice ride though. If I'm in town I may try it in May
Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 PM
32361ARTHUR
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I rode it last September on my V8 powered bike. It was beautiful and we rode all around there for three days. Someday I will do it in the Corvette.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mossy66
We did this last fall. I was very nervous about it because there are a lot of idiots that try to test themselves on that road. When we went there were no less than three squads set up with radar in different locations and the speed limit is 35. We still came up on an accident that just happened where some moron coming the other way in some fart can buggy crossed the center stripe and took out a lady going the other way. If we were there a minute sooner, it would have been us.

That road has so many turns and is so slow that it's kind of a pain in the **** after the first few minutes. You end up just watching the road and not any of the scenery. There are better roads, like the Cherohala Skyway in the area to have more fun on. That being said, you still have to drive the dragon to say you did it.

Gerry
Alot of nuts for sure but still in some spots 35 in crazy also. But it is really fun doing the dragon..
Old 03-18-2011, 11:40 PM
henry63
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Going to the corvette expo next weekend at Sevierville, will probably ride through while I am there. Did it in the fall of '09, and it was a blast. Had both of my daughters in the car with me. No elbo room and no power steering, I was worn out. We rode from the TN side to the NC line then back the way we came. My avatar pic was taken by one of the photographers set up on the side of the road. Scott
Old 03-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Old Blazer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66

Gerry
I totally agree. Cherohala is more enjoyable and scenic. But ya gotta ride the Dragon!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I did the Dragon last summer after Carlisle. Drove the Cherohala Skyway after that and loved it. I then continued down to Cherokee, NC and drove back North on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I stayed in a town called Little Switzerland, NC. Absolutely beautiful country and what a drive. The Blue Ridge Parkway was my favorite of the three
Old 03-19-2011, 05:01 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by henry63
Going to the corvette expo next weekend at Sevierville, will probably ride through while I am there. Did it in the fall of '09, and it was a blast. Had both of my daughters in the car with me. No elbo room and no power steering, I was worn out. We rode from the TN side to the NC line then back the way we came. My avatar pic was taken by one of the photographers set up on the side of the road. Scott
Are you driving the c2 are not I may drive it just to get it broke in from the motor rebuild...
Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 PM
henry63
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My girlfriend and her daughter are going with me so if I carry the car, I will have to tow it. I need the truck anyway if I find some goodies for the '65 project car. Scott
Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by henry63
My girlfriend and her daughter are going with me so if I carry the car, I will have to tow it. I need the truck anyway if I find some goodies for the '65 project car. Scott
The wife want to go shopping both days and she dont drive the vette at all. So I will have to drop her off and go back after her when she calls are we drive the BMW so I may be driving the BMW.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:14 AM
jermat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I did the Dragon last summer after Carlisle. Drove the Cherohala Skyway after that and loved it. I then continued down to Cherokee, NC and drove back North on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I stayed in a town called Little Switzerland, NC. Absolutely beautiful country and what a drive. The Blue Ridge Parkway was my favorite of the three
I have to agree. The Blue Ridge Parkway between Cherokee and Asheville is a very nice ride.

Get notified of new replies

To Any one going to do the DRAGON in May

Quick Reply: Any one going to do the DRAGON in May