C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 AM
David Schuster
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Advice

It is time to redo the folding top for my 1960. I discovered that the top that came with the car is for a 61-62. Do I replace the rear bow at a cost of over $300 or use the frame as is? No need to be origional. I need to buy new inner and outer attach brackets. They have different part numbers than the earlier ones. Does anyone know what the difference is?
Thanks for any help or advise.
Dave
Old 02-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

Regarding the attachment brackets, there are three pairs. The large, basically flat V-shaped brackets, also called 'pie-plates' are the same for 56 on up to 62, as far as I know. The inner brackets are also the same for those years but the outer brackets are different and one version fits 56-60's and the other fits 61-62's.
Mike T.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Depending on how original you want it, you could buy the rear deck lid to fit the frame. Not many people would ever notice it. It would probably cost a little more because it would need to be painted.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

By your statement just do the fix on it and make it look like new with your work. No need to spend two times the money for nothing...
Old 02-23-2011, 07:52 AM
David Schuster
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys. I think the rear bow will be alright and will seal good enough. I still would like to know if the outer mounting brackets are different on the body end or the top end. Otherwise I will have to order both and send one set back.
Thanks
Dave
Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would first put an ad up here and perhaps in Hemmings etc, looking to trade for the right one. You never know someone out there might be in the same position as you are. There were more of the early ones than the 1+2's made. Just an idea.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by David Schuster
Thanks for the input guys. I think the rear bow will be alright and will seal good enough. I still would like to know if the outer mounting brackets are different on the body end or the top end. Otherwise I will have to order both and send one set back.
Thanks
Dave
Dave,

From the way you are asking your questions, I have the feeling that your soft top is not presently installed on your '60. True?

Assuming so, here's what you need to know: The later soft top will bolt directly to the existing mounts on your '60 and the header latches will mate with the receivers at the top of the windshield.

However, the swinging wire loops on the rear bow will not line up with the latches on the rear deck. You will need to invent a way to shift the swinging wire loops by.... an inch or so (don't recall exactly).

As for the contour of the rear bow, it is very subtle. Unless you point out that you have a '61 -'62 soft top, I doubt that anyone will ever figure it out. In fact, I'm aware of a '60 in northern California that has a '62 soft top installed which has gone undetected for a very long time.

Jim
Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 AM
David Schuster
Advanced

Thanks Jim
When I got the car the top was latched on but not attached to the car.
No brackets. They may have relocated the rear latches. I will have to investigate that. You have given me the info I need to proceed.
Thanks again.
Dave
Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

Dave, after seeing Jim's response, it seems I misread your initial post. I was thinking you had the wrong 'series' of outside soft top brackets when all along you had all the correct brackets for your '60 and were asking only if the 61-62 soft top frame would fit them. As Jim pointed out, the answer is yes it will. The placement of those rear trapeze latches should be your only concern.
Mike T.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice

Quick Reply: Need Advice