C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 09:56 AM
Smiles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car?

Hello, everyone. I'm new here, and am looking for my first Corvette. I have wanted a 61-62 for YEARS and now finally have the means to get one. (I'm thinking a 61 in Tuxedo black, with a red interior and silver coves...)

I've read some pretty negative posts here about Pro Team. Anyone have any other opinions? How about Vettefinders.com? Any other thoughts?

I know I should avoid dealers, so I'll probably take my time and wait for the right car from a private party.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your stories about how you found your Corvette!
Old 04-12-2002, 10:16 AM
CHRISP
Instructor

Default Re: I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car? (Smiles)

Found my '62 in the local paper. It's hard waiting for just the right one but patience is the key. Previous owner found it in a barn here in Kansas and did the restoration himself. He did a beautiful job and I only had to do some minor engine work. Just do your homework and don't jump on the first thing that catches your eye. I decided to buy a driver before hand because I did'nt have the time to do the restoration myself and buying from an individual was the better way to go for me. Don't care for dealers, most will tell you what you want to hear and get offended when you want another party to look over the car for you before you purchase.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:29 AM
a63vette
Instructor

Hemmings, very brief ad and I wasn't even going to call as I know every corvette guy and business sees the same ad, but I was the first one to show up and thus the first one to make an offer...don't underestimate the obvious avenues. Found my 911 through a local paper and of course autotrader is an awesome resource....

Good Luck!
Jordan
Old 04-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Re: I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car? (a63vette)

Got my 64 off eBay. There are two 61's and two 62's available to bid on today.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:36 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one on autotrader, the other in the local paper
Old 04-12-2002, 01:37 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car? (Kid_Again)

Target Ford, Monroeviile, Pa.: up on display ramps. Originally a "feulie", but when I checked a coupla years later, the block was a 283ci out of a "civilian" Chevy (of course, there was no F.I. unit on it; bought the correct one 9 years ago, paid more than 2X what I paid for the Vette), both tops, 4-speed.
A Spring wind-storm had blown the gravel parking lot against a whole row of cars, so they "knocked off" $400 toward a paint job ($900, 12 years later/Erie, Pa.); buddy of mine got a brand new Fairlane for $1K off "sticker" for same reason. My "cash on hand" was $700, Credit Union limit was $700, so hadda listen to the "Dad Speech" about "buying somebody else's junk" to get the other $300 (price was $1600 + 5% Pa. State Sales Tax).
I KNOW: you "Veteran" CF members have read this a DOZENtimes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , but I have a brand new "Rookie" to bore! ;) :yesnod: . Just went down & checked the sales receipt: it's dated 4/29/67 ; almost 35 years... and still IN LOVE! :crazy: :yesnod: :cheers: Getting ready to un-bolt/remove the hard top :flag
Cruz
Old 04-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Bone
Intermediate

I found my '64 Convertible at http://corvetteclassifieds.com. It's a large listing of individuals' (maybe some dealers' too) Corvettes for sale with description. Some have photos, others don't. You can e-mail the owners if you're interested, most have price.

I bought mine from an individual in Atlanta back in February 2001, he had listed his Sebring Silver '64 Convertible originally a 250hp Powerglide car. It had the original numbers matching block with the top end converted to 300hp from a '65 300 hp Corvette donor (461 heads, intake, Carter AFB, etc.), both tops, factory pb, ps, pw, transmission had been swapped for TH400, all original body panels, but fenders ever so slightly trimmed for late model Corvette ralley wheels and wider tires, everything worked but the clock. I've put 5,000 miles on it without a hitch with future plans to restor. Right now, however, it's an awesome driver and I drive it all the time. I paid $17,000.

I just checked that web site, and they have one '61 and three '62's listed at this time. Good luck with your search. I couldn't be happier with my purchase!

Bone
Old 04-12-2002, 03:28 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It found me. I was gassing up my car and in it came in on a trailer. The guy stopped to gas up the tow vechicle. I asked if it was for sale and he gave me a price. I bought it ASAP and that was almost 17 years ago.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:49 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Smiles, I have a 61 white/red I will sell. If you are interested let me know.

Smiles, I have a 61 white/red I will sell. If you are interested let me know.
Andy awilco@hotmail.com.

Check out the posts from the user Dirty. I sold him my last car, he had lot's of super things to say about the transaction.

Thanks
Andy
Old 04-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Lightfoot
Le Mans Master

CI 1 through 10 Vet

After looking for about 6 months, finally found mine in Hemmings.com. also. Turns out it was only about 1 1/2 hours from the house. Made three trips to look at it and take video and pictures, came back home to do the homework and ask a few questions of people who know a whole lot more than i do. It's definately not a trophy car, but a great driver-which is exactly what i was looking for. Plan to restore it one of these days but now am just enjoying it. Had it two years now and the only thing i have been disappointed in, is how little i get to drive it!
good luck and happy hunting
Lightfoot
Old 04-12-2002, 07:05 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

WELCOME to this Forum!!!!! Super place with super peeps, many of whom REALLY know their stuff and are happy to share....... :yesnod: :yesnod: :D

I found my Silver Beast in Arizona about 4 years ago from a private party who had two....a '65 L78 and the '66 L72....both Silver Pearl roadsters with black interiors, both at the same asking price....from an internet ad at the Hemmings site. I had looked at about 20 cars regionally and at a couple of local dealerships (a turn-off, as usual), and shopped the 'net extensively....both dealers and private parties. I took about 8 months to get what I wanted. Ulitmately, I got her for less than asking price, but I still paid to much.....and don't really care. The car has operated almost flawlessly in the 12,000 miles since I bought her.... :yesnod: Some mods are coming, but she is such a nice driver, I hate thinking of taking her off the road while the weather is so nice.....!

This Forum can help you tremendously PRIOR to your purchase!!!!! Do NOT be afraid to ask lots of questions.

Good Luck, and post pics when you find one.

Jeff
Ô66. Modified L72
ÒThe Silver BeastÓ
Keep on :cheers: :cheers: :seeya :seeya
Old 04-12-2002, 08:50 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default Re: I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car? (Blkblt)

My brother in law gave it to me fo christmas 3 years a go. A 65
Old 04-12-2002, 09:20 PM
RichF
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '04 & '05

Default Re: I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car? (Stephen DeFazio)

True Luck (or fate) - my cousin saw an ad in the local paper about 2 weeks after I started looking - one town away from where I live :D :D
Old 04-12-2002, 09:44 PM
66BBCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 345 Likes on 118 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

There are infinite ways to find your Corvette, Hemmings, Internet, dealers, this Forum, finder’s services, NCRS Driveline, Corvette shows like Carlisle etc. The best advise I can give you is look at as many as you can, ask lots of questions, understand what you want your Corvette to be i.e. a standard driver, driver/show, full show etc. Set a budget for what you want to spend - however much money you have, there is Corvette that will cost that much. Read everything you can get your hands on about the 61. There are many excellent publications that can educate you on the car that you ultimately want to buy. My first Corvette was a 61 in 1970. I made the mistake of buying it as a project when in retrospect, there was not enough there for the car I dreamed it would be. Fast forward to the 66 I have now. I looked for five years and finally found the right one and knew it when I saw it. During that time of searching -I satisfied my Corvette thirst with several C4's. Final note - if you think you want to buy a 61 and restore it - there is something called restoration vortex - the sucking sound of money pouring into your dream machine. There is much to be said for finding a restored Top Flight car for the right price. You know what you have and you know what it costs.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:24 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My current Vette? Friend of a Friend.
How about a one owner 60? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=278276 :D
Old 04-13-2002, 02:21 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Re: I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car? (396 RAT)

After two years searching everything from the net to newspapers, and about $3500 in phone bills, gas, hotels, plane tickets, rental cars, I got lucky and found mine in the neighboring state on Trader-on-line. Thank God it was only a twelve hour round trip drive and a $60 trailer rental getting her home. :lol:
Old 04-13-2002, 02:31 AM
mmfritzy
Advanced

Smiles,
I just finished rowing the boat you're in now. I had wanted a '58 for years and recently started a new job that gave me the means to buy it. I just purchased a 1958 from a dealer in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. I started looking about six months ago and really got serious about three months ago. I wanted to buy from a private owner (because dealers will screw you any chance they can) but I live in South Dakota and there's not a lot to choose from 'round these parts. I started by purchasing several books and educating myself on what to look for. Then I started to search the internet and this was an invaluable tool for finding cars and what price these cars really sell for. I looked at blue book prices but the actual market price is a little different. I have a list of about 20-25 websites that I searched. If you like, you can email me and I will send you the list along with the names of the books and some great places to find parts. A good place to start is "collectorcartraderonline.com" Anywhooo, I traveled around the country and looked at about 12-15 different '58's and '59's. I looked at one in New York and one in New Jersey, and they were way overpriced. Everything in New York is expensive so I guess they think their classic cars should be too. I would recommend not buying a car from the upper east coast. I traveled to Oklahoma and Minnesota (private owners) and these cars were in much better shape with a smaller pricetag. The private owner in Minnesota said he had also heard bad things about ProTeam in Ohio. I have heard this from several people so I would recommend not buying from them either. Well, after months of searching I found a '58 on ebay. It was listed by a dealer named Eby Towne Moters in Canada. A week passed with no bids so I was a little leery of this one but I called to inquire anyway, I'm glad I did. It sounded pretty good so I flew to Toronto then drove to Kitchener to look at it. (Side note: It is nearly impossible to tell the condition of a car by just looking at the pictures. Every car I traveled to look at was not as good as it looked in the pictures.) Although this was a dealer, I didn't feel like I was getting screwed. Their starting price was $32k. I ended up paying $29k for a 1958, 283 cid (NOM) with both soft and hard tops. The chrome was outstanding, nearly show room condition. The body and paint were pretty darn good, above average for a daily driver. Mechanically, the car was a little weaker than I had seen with other cars (in this price range) but it runs fine and I won't have to spend any money on it this year. (I plan to rebuild the engine next winter.) (Another side note: mechanical items are much, much cheaper to fix than body and chrome on any C1 corvette.) For my price range (Less than $35k) this car was a great deal. I think this car would have sold for around $33-34K in the U.S. I don't think the Canadians know what they have with older Corvettes. A few months ago, I found two other 58's in British Columbia and they sold for way less money than they would have in the U.S. As for bringing the car into the U.S., it's not as painful as I once thought. You only need to fill out two forms from Customs and you do NOT have to pay Canadian PST (Provincial Sales Tax) or GST (Goods & Services Tax) because the car was originally manufactured in the U.S. OK, I am getting long winded here but don't rule out options that may initially seem to be too much work and don't rule out dealers. If you have any questions, email me at mmfritzy@sio.midco.net, I will help any way I can. Good luck with the search!

Get notified of new replies

To I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car?

Old 04-13-2002, 11:43 AM
WB6HRO
Racer

Default Re: I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car? (mmfritzy)

Bought mine off a used car lot in Lakewood, CA for $1,150 in 1969. Original engine too. Got into NCRS in 1974 and picked up parts when they were less expensive.

Old 04-13-2002, 12:14 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car? (WB6HRO)

got my 61 from the local paper. got the 72 at the Turkey Rod Run car show.
Car shows are great; get there early and watch them drive in. Hundreds to chose from....well, maybe 3 or 4. :D
Old 04-13-2002, 12:46 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

I was looking for a ’59 when I ran into a ’65 and it was love at first sight and purchased it 24 Dec 1999 with the wife’s blessing. Told the wife that I was still looking for a ’59 and when I found one I would sell the ’65 because I didn’t need two old Corvettes. I was out and about when one of the local came up to me and started talking about the ’65 and I mention that I really wanted a ’59. After about 15 minutes or so he said that he had a ’58 that was being stored and if I was interested in restoring it and not chopping it up he would sell it to me cheap. Not a ’59 but close – so we went out to look at it at a tow/trash service shop. Sitting in a corner under tarps was a blue with white coves NOM ’58 with all the major pieces still in place but need some lots TLC. I ask how much and he said “$12,000.00” trying to remain cool and collect, I walk around the car a couple of more times (already knew that I was going to purchase it) with a couple of hmmm and aughs I agreed to purchase the car. Put the car on the trailer and brought that car home and put it on the wife’s side of the garage – then reality set in – I never mention this to the wife – just happen two fast. I took the car cover off the ‘65 and placed it on the ’58 thinking that would gain me a few more minutes before the wife discovered what I had done. Spent the rest of the afternoon thinking of stores to tell the wife when she discovered the car like: just storing for a friend – what do you think should we buy this one – Heck, I have no idea where it come from but I’m keeping it. When she came home I just told her the truth and it was a great deal and that I selling the ‘65. After about 5 minutes looking at the ‘58 she said she loved it and I wasn’t selling HER ’65 Corvette. She is one in million!!

Check out the web site below for more history..

Quick Reply: I'm looking for a 1961. How did you find your car?