C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Does NCRS really have shipping info on C2s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does NCRS really have shipping info on C2s?

From NCRS org:
---------------------------------------------
Shipping Data Report

The information consists of the dealer code, dealer name, dealer address and the date the car was produced. The good news is this should allow you to find the original dealer where your Corvette was sold and possibly open the door to finding more information about your Corvette. A letter containing the information you request will be mailed to your NCRS address on record. The cost for this service will be $40.00 USD
--------------------------------------------

Does NCRS really have the shipping info as far back as 1964?

Tom Piper
Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

They have it back to some time in 62. Here's what I received for my 65

I received a similar report for my 62.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Piper
Does NCRS really have the shipping info as far back as 1964?

Tom Piper
Yes, they do - what makes you wonder if they do or not? They've already processed well over 2,000 inquiries.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:22 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

I've spoken to the dealer who sold my '67 (twice - to the first and second owners) - and got a copy of the original invoice on the car. Is there any benefit of this NCRS service to someone like myself who already has this information?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:28 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
I've spoken to the dealer who sold my '67 (twice - to the first and second owners) - and got a copy of the original invoice on the car. Is there any benefit of this NCRS service to someone like myself who already has this information?
Not that I can tell. Having this shipping data gives us some insight into where the car first hit the ground after production, you already have that data so you've got more than the rest of us.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,963 Likes on 665 Posts

I received my Shipping Data Report in the mail yesterday - it shows my '66 was delivered to Merollis Chevrolet in East Detroit, MI (now Eastpointe, MI). The good news is that they're still in business, and after an email inquiry yesterday, they'll be checking to see if they have any records of my car. Good stuff!

Tom
Old 01-16-2011, 03:10 PM
rovers2000
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered mine last week. I hope to find that the dealer is still around.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

Default Shipping Report Was a Mild Surprise

I sent in a request for the Shipping Report for my 65 Coupe, which I've owned since '85. There was no paperwork on it when I bought it in 85 but the best guess was that since it had the Black/Yellow California license plates (way before the Calif DMV started to allow substitution of the early plates as specialty plates) I naturally assumed my car started out as being initially sold here in California.
I was a bit surprised to find it was originally shipped to Rodenfels Chevrolet in Cleveland Ohio and figure it must have made it's way here within a year or so of being initially sold by that dealer due to the letter-sequence of the Black/Yellow Calif plate.
My old 66 Coupe, bought in 92 and supposedly was brought down from Washington State in the early 70's was another surprise since it was originally shipped to Luby Chevrolet in Miami, Florida. The shipping reports won't tell you who was the original owner but discovering where the car started out is kinda neat in itself.
Mike T.

Last edited by Vet65te; 01-18-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:25 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Interesting,
mine first went to Luby Chevrolet in Boston. And I see there is a Luby Chevrolet in Denver, and now find out they were in Florida too?
That was one big Chevy company. If anyone out in CF world has anything on Luby Chev in Boston, please drop a note.
thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 PM
vettn
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
Here is another perspective. The delivery report is of some value of course. However, the document validation is invaluable especially for some cars prone to falsification. In this day and age of document falsification (bill of sale, POP, tank sheet, etc.) and making up cars to be what they were not, getting GM validation trumps all. I have a 67 435 with tank sheet, POP and conversation with first owner...all which could be made up. So, I submitted my tank sheet and VIN for validation. I got the NCRS letter confirming it was a match. Now there is no question on my car being what it is. A tank sheet laying on the table is one thing, but that sheet with the NCRS validation next to it is invaluable. I have seen many made up cars with made up tank sheets that look as real as can be. Those unsuspecting owners are not going to be happy when they submit their tank sheet. You must decide if your car is worth the $40 or $80 or if not knowing is better.

You should get a notarized statement from the dealer on any paper they gave you.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

I just received mine! Wow what a shocker....Never would have guessed where my car was shipped to. Ok now the reality: some guys, due to the age of the microfiche, have run across the problem that it can't be read or can't be found. However the good news is that in those cases NCRS will return your 40 dollars! Never thought I would join NCRS but even if they didn't offer the shipping data it's worth the price to join.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Dougs63
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Found out my '63 Convt. was shippped to Commonwealth Chevrolet in Boston, on Dec. 19, 1962. Commonwealth is still in business. The service is for NCRS members only, but well worth the price of the membership and the serivce.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 PM
'67 Mann
Racer

Best $40 I ever spent ! I would recommend it to all that own C2's.

I fly out to Dallas next month to meet the former owner of the
dealership that ordered my car.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:05 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vet65te
I sent in a request for the Shipping Report for my 65 Coupe, which I've owned since '85. There was no paperwork on it when I got it but the best guess was that since it had the Black/Yellow California license plates (way before the Calif DMV started to allow substitution of the early plates as specialty plates) I naturally assumed my car started out as being initially sold here in California.
I was a bit surprised to find it was originally shipped to Cleveland Ohio and figure it must have made it's way here within a year or so of being initially sold by that dealer.
My old 66 Coupe, bought in 92 and supposedly was brought down from Washington State in the early 70's was another surprise since it was originally shipped to Luby Chevrolet in Miami, Florida. The shipping reports won't tell you who was the original owner but discovering where the car started out is kinda neat in itself.
Mike T.
Hi Mike---Steve here. I just got my shipping report last week and found out my '65 coupe was sold by Rupp Chevrolet in Lynbrook, New York. Lynbrook is a small town on the west end of Long Island and my cars last registered owner was in Montauk, New York which is a small town on the east end of Long Island. Makes me wonder if my car has had fewer owners than I had imagined and if it spent all its life on Long Island? Not much info for $40.00 but still worth it. Take care and are you coming back to Prescott this year?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
mstanton
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How does NCRS validate the documentation? Are they just cross checking it to the shipping data or are they using additional information that is not being shared with the common NCRS member?

I had incomplete data on both my cars. My 65 was confirmed delivered in Southern California but the dealer code was unreadable. My 70 had a zone and dealer code but unknown dealer name and address. Disappointing but better than nothing.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd like to know if anyone actually gets any info from a dealer that originally sold their car. I doubt that many dealers have kept records any longer than the law requires them to. I'm glad I got my report since I found out where my car came from, but the dealer is out of business since 1980. Even if they were still there, I doubt they have paperwork dating back to 1965. If anyone got info from a dealer, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM
c2ray
Instructor

I am hopeful that one day I will have that great story to tell. I was very pleased to find out my '63 SWC was delivered to Spence(r) Chevrolet of Daytona Beach Fl in late '62. It had to be one of very few there and at the time and it is Daytona Blue w/ dark blue int P/S, P/B, Automatic......sure wish I could find some old timer who worked there that remembers it. Definately worth the $40!!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Does NCRS really have shipping info on C2s?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

Default Annual Prescott Corvette Show

Originally Posted by 4440stevesvette
Hi Mike---Steve here. I just got my shipping report last week and found out my '65 coupe was sold by Rupp Chevrolet in Lynbrook, New York. Lynbrook is a small town on the west end of Long Island and my cars last registered owner was in Montauk, New York which is a small town on the east end of Long Island. Makes me wonder if my car has had fewer owners than I had imagined and if it spent all its life on Long Island? Not much info for $40.00 but still worth it. Take care and are you coming back to Prescott this year?
Hey Steve, it does sound like your 65 Coupe didn't wander far from the original selling dealer's location. Any idea how long that last owner had the car? Did you mention before that you were able to contact them?

Of the 4 Coupes we've owned, only one had old paperwork/registration tags that gave us an idea of where the car had been. That one, the 66 Mosport Coupe showed 4 previous owners, all here in the Northbay, 50 miles north of San Francisco, but was originally shipped to a dealer in the middle of the state in Paso Robles so there's no way of knowing how many others owned that car. All of our Coupes were bought 20-25 years ago and back then there was less interest in the owner history of the Vettes so we didn't bother to ask the sellers about previous owners. The typical question to ask was 'how long have you owned it'.

You know, we've been making that annual trek to Prescott for quite a few years, in anticipation of finally getting started on building a house on our property there, and until this last September always seemed to miss the Annual Corvette Show put on by the Prescott Vette Sette. Glad we finally got the trip scheduled to have us in town at the same time because the show was a lot of fun. Helluva turnout seeing over 250 Corvettes in a small town like Prescott. So, we'll definitely be there again this year to take in the show.

Mike T.

Last edited by Vet65te; 01-18-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by raypilot65
I'd like to know if anyone actually gets any info from a dealer that originally sold their car. I doubt that many dealers have kept records any longer than the law requires them to. I'm glad I got my report since I found out where my car came from, but the dealer is out of business since 1980. Even if they were still there, I doubt they have paperwork dating back to 1965. If anyone got info from a dealer, I'd love to hear about it.
Mine came up as sold from a small dealership in Elgin, Iowa that closed in 1991. Some Google work and phone calls led me to the 82-y/o retired owner of the dealership, and I spent 30 minutes on the phone with him. He only sold two Corvettes a year, and clearly remembered ordering it (due to the white/blue 2-tone interior) AND selling it, and had the name of the original owner (now deceased - long story) off the top of his head. The paperwork is long-gone; he had all the old records stored in his basement at home, and the day he sold the dealership in 1991 he hauled them all out back and burned them so he could have the basement finished as a rec room. No paperwork, but had a delightful conversation and got the name of the original owner; if I can find out who bought the car from his estate (working on that now), that'll be the last link in the chain of ownership.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have to be a NCRS member to order this report?

Quick Reply: Does NCRS really have shipping info on C2s?