C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 427 shortblock on Craigslist in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 PM
BLee
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 66 427 shortblock on Craigslist in Houston

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2130258200.html

It's incorrectly listed as a 67. The VIN looks like 17984.

I know absolutely nothing about it except he's asking $3500.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:10 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

It is a 66 425 Horse block. IP is the suffix. Appears to be a March 23 build date. Came out of the unit you listed.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta be a scam for only $1

Of course that's one cheap scam
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 92GTA
Gotta be a scam for only $1

Of course that's one cheap scam

Haven't seen to many with an Automatic either. Flex plate being sold with it, not a flywheel.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,308 Posts

The IP suffix is for a 425/450 horsepower engine with a 4-speed. IQ and IR denote a 390/400 horsepower engine with an auto trans.

Perhaps it is actually IR suffix. This is for a 390 HP engine with auto trans and AIR (Calif). If correct, it would be very rare.

According to Noland, only 20 Corvettes were produced with the 390 HP engine and auto trans for 1966 model year.....this is TOTAL for AIR and non-AIR equipped.

Larry
Old 12-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default A L72 in a possible COPO

The 'IP suffix makes it a 425/450 HP short block with 4 bolt mains....and naturally a solid lifter engine. This with a flex plate was not a combination available in 1966.....The first year GM used a T400 with the solid lifter engines was in a 69 Corvette....It could be a COPO installation because its complete with a Vin number meaning it did once have a connected home somewhere in the Chevy world...
Old 12-28-2010, 12:10 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

It was an L-72, originally installed in '66 Corvette #17984, built on 3/31/66; since then, it wound up in another car, with a flexplate and automatic instead of the original flywheel and clutch.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:10 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ironcross
The 'IP suffix makes it a 425/450 HP short block with 4 bolt mains....and naturally a solid lifter engine. This with a flex plate was not a combination available in 1966.....The first year GM used a T400 with the solid lifter engines was in a 69 Corvette....It could be a COPO installation because its complete with a Vin number meaning it did once have a connected home somewhere in the Chevy world...

Serial number puts it to late to be a "real" 450 Horse block. IP was used on the later 425's also.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 PM
BLee
Burning Brakes

I sent this guy a text originally to ask what he wanted for it and to tell him it was really out of a '66. I also posted the link on the NCRS website. He sent me a text back a couple of hours ago and he sold the block to the guy who currently owns '66 #17984.

Originally Posted by JohnZ
It was an L-72, originally installed in '66 Corvette #17984, built on 3/31/66; since then, it wound up in another car, with a flexplate and automatic instead of the original flywheel and clutch.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Well that's a cool ending.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:14 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Well that's a cool ending.

i would have bet money that the odds on the car still existing was remote, as people didn't usually pull high HP motors out of Corvettes unless the car was wrecked really bad.

OTOH, maybe the car was wrecked bad at one time and partially parted out,and it was resurrected later.

Sounds like there is one happy '66 Corvette owner out there.

Doug
Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 AM
mach2004
Instructor

As the owner of 1966 Corvette #17984, I can safely say I am past happy. I have been a member of Corvetteforum for several years and have purchased small items from the classifieds and borrowed valuable knowledge from the technical support but for the most part I have kept a pretty low profile. As usual yesterday I made my early morning check through the C2 area and saw this ad for a 66 427. Being that I have done this 50 times before, I definatly didn't have any expectations to find my original engine but to see how close to my vin it would be. I nearly fell out of my chair at work when I compared the vin#'s. I immediatly called the owner and asked for more info on the motor and to clarify the vin. He was as happy as I was that his engine was possibly the original engine for my car so he agreed to call me when he got home to re-verify the #'s. After making several calls to the man I purchased the car from and the shop in Houston that did the work, I found that the engine was removed and replaced with a crate motor so the car could be sold. The original engine lost a piston and the owner wanted a quick fix. He even left the original engine at the shop and it was sold as an old rebuildable engine to the gentleman I am purchasing the engine from.
Yesterday was an emotional rollercoaster for me as I waited to verify the #'s and work a deal with the owner and now I am just waiting for the engine to arrive so it can be reunited with the car. What a day!!!
I would like to thank BLee for forwarding the Craigslist ad to the forum because without that, I would never have found the engine and thanks to Bruce for selling me the engine at a fair price and wanting it to go back to the original car nearly as much as I did. I feel like I hit the lottery!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mach2004
As the owner of 1966 Corvette #17984, I can safely say I am past happy. I have been a member of Corvetteforum for several years and have purchased small items from the classifieds and borrowed valuable knowledge from the technical support but for the most part I have kept a pretty low profile. As usual yesterday I made my early morning check through the C2 area and saw this ad for a 66 427. Being that I have done this 50 times before, I definatly didn't have any expectations to find my original engine but to see how close to my vin it would be. I nearly fell out of my chair at work when I compared the vin#'s. I immediatly called the owner and asked for more info on the motor and to clarify the vin. He was as happy as I was that his engine was possibly the original engine for my car so he agreed to call me when he got home to re-verify the #'s. After making several calls to the man I purchased the car from and the shop in Houston that did the work, I found that the engine was removed and replaced with a crate motor so the car could be sold. The original engine lost a piston and the owner wanted a quick fix. He even left the original engine at the shop and it was sold as an old rebuildable engine to the gentleman I am purchasing the engine from.
Yesterday was an emotional rollercoaster for me as I waited to verify the #'s and work a deal with the owner and now I am just waiting for the engine to arrive so it can be reunited with the car. What a day!!!
I would like to thank BLee for forwarding the Craigslist ad to the forum because without that, I would never have found the engine and thanks to Bruce for selling me the engine at a fair price and wanting it to go back to the original car nearly as much as I did. I feel like I hit the lottery!

It must feel great to know that you have to change the vehicle description from NOM to "Original" engine!!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:00 PM
BLee
Burning Brakes

It looks like it worked out great. Glad I could help.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:34 PM
mach2004
Instructor

BLee, this whole deal happened because of you. It is people like you that are the reason that I love the classic car hobby. I am not sure at this point if I am going to have the engine shipped or drive out and pick it up but my next trip to Houston I would love to buy you a meal and a beer or 2 for your help. From myself and my car... we thank you!!

66BlkBB: It will be great feeling to change that title to "numbers matching".
Old 12-29-2010, 05:12 PM
BLee
Burning Brakes

I don't really drink and I'm a real light eater, how about a hooker?
Send me a PM next time you're in town and we'll try to get together. I enjoy the company of fellow gearheads.

(just kiddin' about the hooker, love you Dear)

BLee, this whole deal happened because of you. It is people like you that are the reason that I love the classic car hobby. I am not sure at this point if I am going to have the engine shipped or drive out and pick it up but my next trip to Houston I would love to buy you a meal and a beer or 2 for your help. From myself and my car... we thank you!!

66BlkBB: It will be great feeling to change that title to "numbers matching".
Old 12-29-2010, 05:16 PM
snydes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to buy a lottery ticket, here is your original trans...

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2107230382.html

Get notified of new replies

To 66 427 shortblock on Craigslist in Houston

Old 12-29-2010, 05:24 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

You are so lucky mach2004
Must feel great
Old 12-29-2010, 05:35 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by snydes
You might want to buy a lottery ticket, here is your original trans...

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2107230382.html

Holy Cow
Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM
mach2004
Instructor

WOW, this is unreal. To be honest I had never checked the trans before and since the original engine was missing it really didn't matter... well until now. I guess I get to make another phone call tonight. Picking up both units in one trip would be nice.

Quick Reply: 66 427 shortblock on Craigslist in Houston