C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Value Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Value Question

Do you think having written letters from the original owner about the history of a midyear Vette helps the value?
I ask because I spoke to the original owner of my 66 427 Mosport car the other day and she gave me some more information on the car. She told me a story about how her and her husband drove the car from California to Michigan, where they were originally from, and back to California one 4th of July. Then, in 1974 her husband took the engine apart and never put it back together. She said he always liked to take things apart, but wasnt really good at getting around to putting them back together. So, that would explain why the cylinder heads were so pitted. He took the body off the car in 1990 and started to work on the chassis, but then passed away in 1994 from lung cancer at the age of 50. She also informed me that the tachometer continually broke. She said they took it back to the dealership multiple times, but finally gave up after about the 5th time having it repaired. So, that explains why the tach said 17,500 miles when i purchased the car. She really didnt know how many miles they put on it, but that they really just drove it around town, minus the one big trip, and that from 69 to 74 she drove it to and from work, which was just a few blocks away. Judging by the condition of the frame, no hit body, other parts, and her statement, im going to guess that the car probably had around 40-60,000 miles before it was taken apart in 74. Not that it really matters with no way to prove it, but....
Anyway, she has some very interesting stories about the car and i think that if i can talk her into writing them all down it would be worthwhile.
Thoughts?

Last edited by Corbrastang; 12-23-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:49 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I think the information that helps certify the low mileage and how long it was apart is interesting, and might add some value if there's a question about the authenticity to the low miles.

Beyond that, I don't see stories about how the car was used being a real value adder for a buyer.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

I forgot to add that she and her husband are the only two people other than myself to drive the car. I Purchased it from the second owner in pieces, the way he had purchased it from the widow, and he had only owned it for two years.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:59 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

If the letter writers and the restampers get together....... the car could be worth triple value. There should be a financial section added to this forum so investors could check their values daily like some stock brokers. Silly me.... I thought they were just a cool car to drive.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

jrs427 -That is really uncalled for and rude. The lady is still alive and i thought the stories were neat. I dont see any reason for you to respond to my post with something like that.

Last edited by Corbrastang; 12-23-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 817 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Jeff is right on the first count. Most of these stories, which are more anecdotal than anything, have little monetary significance for someone like yourself. Like Jeff said, if there are some facts that have probative value, and can be documented through past communication through writing, correspondence and photographs, there might be some added value, but it really depends on the nature of the information.

The only cars that I have ever owned that seemed to qualify were ex-race cars driven by significant owners/drivers. Those types of cars seem to bring a premium, but part of the fun with this hobby is trying to track down the history. Continue to ask the wife about the car and put together a oral history. Some information is better than no information when you get ready to sell.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 12-23-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

I don't think it adds any value at all. If I did, I would have had the seller write a book since he was the original owner. All I wanted were the documents applicable to the car. He kept every piece of paper starting with the receipt for his deposit when he ordered it. To me, that's where the value is.

Jim
Old 12-23-2010, 09:00 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
Do you think having written letters from the original owner about the history of a midyear Vette helps the value? Thoughts?
Yes, No, depending on the buyer. Look at all the posts about owners trying to find original owners, original dealer etc. Monetarily, not any thing like a real tank sticker or POP. I'd like to know the story how my car got deep scratch marks on the bottom of the side pipe covers, almost perpendicular to the direction cars usually travel, but I wouldn't pay $$$ for the story if offered. $0.02
Old 12-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Silver '65
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might not always substantially increase the value of the car, but it certainly isn't going to hurt it.

As stated above - look at all of those trying to track down the original owners so that they can learn more history - the very thing your woman conveyed - so that they can know and have a greater appreciation for the car.

I think most owners would enjoy having that sort of thing. Whether or not they would pay extra for it is another matter, but it certainly gives the car greater character, and makes the ownership of the car more personal.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

I guess my point is that a lot of people like having history to go with the car. I know absolutely nothing about the past of any of my other cars-just where they were located at one time or another, but no stories to go with them.
For the mosport 66 I have the original owners Driver's license from 1966, a monogramed cig lighter, the original California tags, and the second set of tags that were on the car with the stickers from 1974, the year the original owners husband disassembled the engine and the last time it was on the road. Anyway, i just thought having a letter to go with these items would be nice. I did not necessarily mean that it was going to add some big amount of value to the car, but perhaps the history and the other documents would make the car more appealing to buyers over a car that does not have any documented history.

Last edited by Corbrastang; 12-23-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:00 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Cobrastang;
I am truely sorry I hurt your little feelings. Why don't we call it " Your forum " and you alone can censor any replies. Does everything about you have to be Me and Money ???? This isn't a financial page, its about cars. Grow up , get a life. Everyone knows your perfect and we don't need reminding every day
Now, tell us again what perfect cars you have and don't leave out the details ( how many times they have been sat in ). Did they remove you from the FORD forum ? Please go back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Double post

Last edited by Corbrastang; 12-23-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Cobrastang;
I am truely sorry I hurt your little feelings. Why don't we call it " Your forum " and you alone can censor any replies. Does everything about you have to be Me and Money ???? This isn't a financial page, its about cars. Grow up , get a life. Everyone knows your perfect and we don't need reminding every day
Now, tell us again what perfect cars you have and don't leave out the details ( how many times they have been sat in ). Did they remove you from the FORD forum ? Please go back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As i see it, my question relates to all mid year Corvettes. I think its nice to have historical documents to back up any collectors item. I was just curious if others thought it would add value or marketability. I cant afford to keep both cars, but i wish i could. Therefore, i will be putting the Mosport 427 back on the market once it is ready.
You are obviously welcome to post whatever you like, including the above statement. I just really don't see the point of taking the time to post something so hateful, but if it makes your feel like a bigger and better person....
The only cars I have are the 65 convertible and the 66 427 mosport Corvettes. They aren't perfect, but i like them, especially since i performed the restorations on them.
If my posts offend you so much why not just ignore them?

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Corbrastang; 12-23-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:58 AM
bdhulderman
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't see any problem with it. I'd just leave out the part "...always liked to take things apart, but wasnt really good at getting around to putting them back together."
Old 12-24-2010, 07:46 AM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Cobrastang. Sometimes the history is important to the owner/buyer. The only reason I bought the car I did, and paid more than I wanted to, was because I knew the car for all but the first 18 months of its life. I would see this car all of the time. I know most of what this car has been through. I know what was replaced, and more importantly why. I even pretty much know how the car was driven, given as it had the same set of tires on it for so long. (Goodyear Polyglas replaced the original 7.75s, and radials temporarily replaced the Goodyears. I put the Polyglas back on in 1990, and ran them until 2004, when 1 got cut.)

The owner was the "Flat Hat", pipe smoking, sports car type of Corvette driver. His son...luckily, he did not get to drive it that much, but I do thank him for the introduction.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

As i see it, the guy having ADD and taking the engine apart, but not putting it back together is the reason behind why the car was off the road from 1974 until last year and probably the only reason it has a no hit body.

Hey Brant-i sold the 68 mustang last week. I thought you would like to know. Now if only they would change my forum name. ha!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:28 AM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess my point is that a lot of people like having history to go with the car. I know absolutely nothing about the past of any of my other cars-just where they were located at one time or another, but no stories to go with them.
For the mosport 66 I have the original owners Driver's license from 1966, a monogramed cig lighter, the original California tags, and the second set of tags that were on the car with the stickers from 1974, the year the original owners husband disassembled the engine and the last time it was on the road. Anyway, i just thought having a letter to go with these items would be nice. I did not necessarily mean that it was going to add some big amount of value to the car, but perhaps the history and the other documents would make the car more appealing to buyers over a car that does not have any documented history.
I think any history or stories are great to show were the car came from and where it has been. In my opinion they will help with selling the car versus one without it.

Get notified of new replies

To Value Question

Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM
bdhulderman
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

As i see it, the guy having ADD and taking the engine apart, but not putting it back together is the reason behind why the car was off the road from 1974 until last year and probably the only reason it has a no hit body.

Hey Brant-i sold the 68 mustang last week. I thought you would like to know. Now if only they would change my forum name. ha!
That's great! Congrats! Now you're a real corvette guy. It may be better to start clean with a completely new forum membership, but somehow, after awhile, I'm sure we'll figure out who you are. Ha Ha!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 385 Posts

Maybe it does not add any value to the price of the car but it would help add other things up on a car as a buyer and may push a prospective buyer into a new owner.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:20 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Default Geez - lighten up!

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Cobrastang;
Why be such an @$$? If you didn't like this thread you coulda just stayed away! Looks to me like you're trying to make it "your thread"!

Chill out, Peace on Earth, and Merry Christmas.

Quick Reply: Value Question