C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

garage heaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM
61LS6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcapps
I installed 2 of the mini split ductless systems. I put one in each of the two bays I use to work in. The car storage bay has nothing. They use little power and I have both ac and a heat pump. Works for me in socal
Contact Cambridge Engineering in St. Louis. They have excellent ventless units.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM
kimo1965
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim, and it works great....plus you have AC in the summer. Takes up hardly no space inside. No venting required, and unit outside is very quiet, efficient, and small. Very cheap to operate also!!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM
VetteRed1965
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the doors open today here in Georgia. No need to heat...I almost dropped the top being 58* when I got home. We might get snow Saturday, go figure !
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a reznor nat. gas heater also, they work well and have a power vent to exhaust gasses outside, you need to get rid of the gas as it is CO or carbon monoxide and you don't want to be working in that stuff. You can also gas the room above the garage!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 PM
aafadca
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This site has alot of good info http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ .
Old 12-22-2010, 09:27 PM
vettedreamer50
Instructor

I think you are going about this the wrong way. Whatever system you install "to keep the chill out of your garage" and to help heat the upstairs is a huge waste of money. Your time and money will be better spent insulating the garage better if you can, (especially the ceiling) and just getting a small heater that attaches to a propane tank to heat up the garage or some kerosene heaters when you want to work out there.
I live in Vermont and it gets very cold in the winter. I have 2 kerosun type kerosene heaters that will heat up my 26x26 2 story insulated garage to 80 if I want to when its 10 degrees out. I have a small propane heater that attaches to a tank if I just want a blast of heat for working out there for a short time. The other options are expensive and unnecessary if you insulate more. I also have a ventless propane fireplace in my house and the moisture and "indoor pollution" problems are bunk. All propane and natural gas produce moisture, and even so, I have not had any mositure problems because its so dry here in the winter. The ventless ones are so efficient, they produces less indoor pollution than the vented ones. Good luck
John
Old 12-22-2010, 11:26 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Garage heat

6850Mike,

Like JohnZ and others here I too have a REZNOR. Mine's a 60,000 BTU and it is overkill for my 2 1/2 car attached garage. Mine's vented through my hip roof ranch. I'm sure horizontal venting can work in your setup. Definitely you need to insulate the garage.

Here's some pics of my set up. Has it's own thermostat. My garage is 15 degrees warmer than the outside temp. In 15 to 20 minutes I can raise a 40 degree temp in the garage to 65 degrees. Really works well. I'm in my t-shirt working very comfortably. I do have insulated walls on 2 sides and a HAAS R14 insulated roll up door. I am lacking in the ceiling insulation. I also have the floor epoxy coated which tends to eliminate moisture coming up from the concrete. This REZNOR does vent out and is an electronic ignition type. During the summer it has a fan only feature that does work well to move air around on those warm days.

My unit ran me $600. from FLEABAY delivered to my door. I had a pro run a gas line to my garage and my sons and I vented her through the roof. I've got about $950 total in this setup.

Good luck in your choices.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 AM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Pete
I used to have a large (hanging) 220 electric heater.
That thing would really suck up the juice and it barely got my garage to 55 degrees on the coldest days.
My neighbor has a ventless gas heater, maybe it's to small but it doesn't do the job.

I would try to figure out a way to run a vent.
I bought this Reznor and never looked back.
70 degrees in about 15 minutes.

I have a section of garage that is 18'X54' that is my working section. In that area I also have a Reznor 75K BTU propane heater in the far upper corner with the thermostat in the middle of the garage. Looks just like the one 6t5rush has! Garage and entire structure is totally insulated with even an insulated garage door and interior dividing wall. I just keep it mid 50's so its comfortable to work in. I'd do it again and of course its vented. Another key point is since we have a 12'4" ceiling height I added two ceiling fans to pull the heat off the ceiling, and use to keep cooler during the summer.
Where the large 12' garage door is where its heated.

Last edited by 1-2-b-67L89; 12-23-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Default 1-2-b-67L89

Nice looking shop
Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a gas Rocket heater I wait until it gets real hot in there and then turn it off. Cheap nasty and if you stand in front of it you will burn to death LOL. It's a ripper ! Stewy
Old 12-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1-2-b-67L89
I have a section of garage that is 18'X54' that is my working section. In that area I also have a Reznor 75K BTU propane heater in the far upper corner with the thermostat in the middle of the garage. Looks just like the one 6t5rush has! Garage and entire structure is totally insulated with even an insulated garage door and interior dividing wall. I just keep it mid 50's so its comfortable to work in. I'd do it again and of course its vented. Another key point is since we have a 12'4" ceiling height I added two ceiling fans to pull the heat off the ceiling, and use to keep cooler during the summer.
Where the large 12' garage door is where its heated.
Man that's a sexy looking shed ! Stewy
Old 12-23-2010, 12:27 AM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In III Veteran

1-2-b-67L89,

I'm with Jeff & Stewy....NICE!!

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 AM
joseph p
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Ducting from your home system is prohibited by most local codes due to the risk of CO from the garage being introduced into the home air makeup system.

Ventless gas heaters are also prohibited by most local codes due to CO concerns (in addition to the moisture issue).

If you can't vent a system, your best bet is an electric heater, but it will use a LOT of 240V power.

A forced-air gas heater with a power vent is really the best (and most economical) solution if you can find a way to vent it outside; most of them now use a double-concentric vent pipe so it also draws makeup air from outside.

I have a Reznor 125,000-BTU power-vented forced-air gas unit heater with electronic ignition (no pilot flame) which heats my 2500-sq. ft. super-insulated (R-26 walls, R-58 ceiling, custom insulated doors, and insulation under the epoxy-coated slab) attached garage with no problem; turns out it's overkill due to the insulation, and a 75K or 100K unit would have done the job with no problem.
I have that exact heater in my 30x40 garage with two double doors, insulated but not sheetrocked, full attic. I put it at 60 come back in an hour or so and the formerly 40 degree garage is toasty. After another hour, I'm in there without a jacket.
My friend owns a big heating business, this was his suggestion and after two earlier remedies this is the best answer, no question.
I'm in NJ and there's nothing worse than going out to a garage where you're freezing. I would recommend this to anyone. If you live near me you could come by to see it.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:04 PM
1-2-b-67L89
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Nice looking shop
Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
Man that's a sexy looking shed ! Stewy
Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
1-2-b-67L89,

I'm with Jeff & Stewy....NICE!!

Jim
In God We Trust!
Thanks Jeff, Stewy, and Jim!
It is my dream garage for sure. Amazing how they fill up don't you know
Old 12-25-2010, 08:03 AM
65specialk
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Garage heater

Hey Chicago Pete, you have my heater and also my car lift??? Thats not my car though!!! Mines a Coupe.. Merry Christmas!!!

Dave
Originally Posted by 6T5RUSH
6850Mike,

Like JohnZ and others here I too have a REZNOR. Mine's a 60,000 BTU and it is overkill for my 2 1/2 car attached garage. Mine's vented through my hip roof ranch. I'm sure horizontal venting can work in your setup. Definitely you need to insulate the garage.

Here's some pics of my set up. Has it's own thermostat. My garage is 15 degrees warmer than the outside temp. In 15 to 20 minutes I can raise a 40 degree temp in the garage to 65 degrees. Really works well. I'm in my t-shirt working very comfortably. I do have insulated walls on 2 sides and a HAAS R14 insulated roll up door. I am lacking in the ceiling insulation. I also have the floor epoxy coated which tends to eliminate moisture coming up from the concrete. This REZNOR does vent out and is an electronic ignition type. During the summer it has a fan only feature that does work well to move air around on those warm days.

My unit ran me $600. from FLEABAY delivered to my door. I had a pro run a gas line to my garage and my sons and I vented her through the roof. I've got about $950 total in this setup.

Good luck in your choices.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by SPFLD62
Is there any way to run a duct from the home system into the garage? That's really the best and most economical way.

I use an electric oil heater just to take the chill out. Works ok. Got it at Wally World around $30. You would probably want 2 of them.
As JohnZ posted, it's against just about every building code to run a home heating duct into the garage. Why? Carbon Monoxide.

I investigated this possibility at my new house in Florida. You can "do it yourself", but you won't find any licensed contractor to do it.

BAD idea.

Originally Posted by kimo1965
I have a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim, and it works great....plus you have AC in the summer. Takes up hardly no space inside. No venting required, and unit outside is very quiet, efficient, and small. Very cheap to operate also!!

That's what I just did, at the end of last summer. The Mitsubishi Mr. Slim is a great system. JUST as the installation was completed, it turned cool, then COLD in Florida, so the first feature I used was the heat, NOT the AC.

I'm up in Maryland now, and have no access to the specs, but I can say it cost approximately $3500.00 for the system and the installation.

Interesting point. I didn't consider heat originally, just AC. After thinking about it, I called the contractor before the installation and asked about adding heat.

Cost was an additonal $177.00 to add heat. NO BRAINER. GLAD I did it.

My attached 3 car garage is 36 x 28 x 12. One bay is cathedral'ed for my 4 post lift, so that adds a bit to the cubic feet.

Chuck
Old 12-25-2010, 01:28 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In III Veteran

65specialk,

I'm not ChicagoPete but you quoted me. Regardless, sounds like we went to different schools together LOL!!

A MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours and a HEALTHY NEW YEAR!

Oh yeh, post up some pics of that bad boy of yours (just a small off-topic from this post dontcha' think, HA!).

Jim
In God We Trust!

Get notified of new replies

To garage heaters

Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Big Don
Instructor

I have a low cost approach with a $200 kerosene space heater. My 4 car garage never goes below freezing, and if it's 20 outside it's about 40 inside. It is fully insulated. I fire up the heater on Saturday morning, and 2 or 3 hours later it's up to 50, which is fine for me in a sweatshirt. I do crack a window to let in some fresh air. At the end of the day I shut it off.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Don
I have a low cost approach with a $200 kerosene space heater. My 4 car garage never goes below freezing, and if it's 20 outside it's about 40 inside. It is fully insulated. I fire up the heater on Saturday morning, and 2 or 3 hours later it's up to 50, which is fine for me in a sweatshirt. I do crack a window to let in some fresh air. At the end of the day I shut it off.
In Maryland, I had a 50000 BTU kerosene "torpedo" heater that I used in my 3 car garage there.

Worked well, BUT there were 2 major problems.

One was the noise from the darn thing.

The second was the kerosene smell.

Being that it was an attached garage, the smell would permeate the whole house. Mrs. Chuck would NOT be happy.

I never used a radiant type kerosene heater, so I can't comment on that.

K1 kerosene was pretty foul smelling, but if I used diesel fuel, the smell was overbearing, and it would also burn my eyeballs.

Chuck
Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I just went thru this last year...on my 20 x40 shop extension. (my front shop has an electric furnace and 5 ton a/c unit)

I spent a bunch of time considering about everything made...

I finally decided on a propane 75,000 btu horizontal attic furnace that I found new (old stock) on Craigs list...($75) Mounted it like the Reznors, etc. John Z and others did in the ceiling corner.

I've had a shop of some kind for 42 years...and all kinds of torpedo heaters, radiant heaters, electric heaters, propane home made stove pipe heaters. waste oil heaters..you name it. Some poor boy junk and some high dollar bigger junk. So I was determined to to do it better than all the other experiments...

This 75,000 btu heater will bring it from 35/40 degrees to t-shirt comfortable in 25 minutes. It doesn't come on often and isn't smelly or noisy. I guarantee I'll never install anything else. Gas heat is hard to beat IMHO....and much cheaper to operate than my front shop electric furnace.

Good luck..Stan

Last edited by Stan's Customs; 12-26-2010 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: garage heaters