C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil pressure line question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil pressure line question

I believe they are compression fittings. Is it the "normal" type fitting where a small brass sleeve get's crimped onto the line?

I think mine is leaking by the engine, am thinking of simply cutting an inch or so off and re-install. If I need the brass ring, what size and where can I get one locally? Have not taken it apart yet to see so figured I'd see whats involved first.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No brass ring. Just the compression fitting. Bill
Old 11-26-2010, 10:02 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

yes the normal compression sleeve fittings...just try tightening a little first!
Believe they are 1/8 in
Old 11-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I don't think they qualify as normal, there is no brass ring. A smaller fitting is crimped around the tube as it's tightened into the larger fitting. Go up on one of the part house web sites and take a look at them. If you have the original type fittings, I don't think you will be able to re-use the smaller one. The tubes are prone to cracking due to flexing over time. For the price, I would recommend buying a new kit and replacing the whole thing.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

If you are going to replace, suggest getting a pre-bent line from Long Island Corvettes. The replacement has a 3/8" nut, I believe, and the original has a 5/16". Easier to put in the dash side first, and then the engine side.

You might try backing off the nut, and then see if you can push the tubing further into the nut, and then re-tighten.

I believe that the engine side actually has two nuts.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:17 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The oil line doesn't use typical compression fittings with sleeves; they have proprietary GM fittings at both ends with a curved/tapered interface, plus an adapter fitting at the block that's 1/8" NPT male (block side) with the GM female fitting on the line side. Paragon includes the three fittings with their copper-plated steel line kit.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
jcchevy (02-05-2017)
Old 11-27-2010, 04:51 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just replaced the original oil pressure line on my '62. I don't know the year of your car, but the original line on mine was a smaller diameter than all the reproductions. Yes, my original line had a small brass sleeve compression fitting that the repros don't. Of course the fittings that come with the line kit (a pictured earlier) are different but work just as well.

If you are changing the line take the precaution of making sure your carpet is protected prior to starting the engine, just in case of an oil leak at the gauge.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Dave64
Drifting

Received 520 Likes on 192 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Yes, listen to John. Buy the kit, at least for the fitting that goes into the oil pressure gauge. You cannot find that fitting anywhere your flaps will not have one. I just went through this. I purchased the replacement kit, but didn't like the way the line looked, so I used some copper line I already had, coiled it a few times for dampening and fed thru the firewall to the gauge. I only used the special fitting for the gauge end. Yes, now I have an incomplete kit on the shelf.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

As usual, JohnZ has a close up pic that helps. Found similar pics at vendor sites but not as close up as John's.

It looks like the brass fitting is a take off of the standard plumbing bushing / nut, but on the Vette one the bushing is part of the nut. I suspect that you can remove / re-tighten only a few times before a replacement is in order. I removed mine and re-tightened but I still seem to have a leak so guess a replacement is in order. I just replaced the distributor and had a real fun time getting it running again, must have had distributor in / out a dozen times before I got the timing correct. Guess I wiggled the line a few times, noticed a lot of oil on the ground after setting timing, added a quart, went for a ride and down a quart again so zeroed in on this as the culprit, it has leaks but have never added a quart before the spring oil change before.

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by bweaver999
As usual, JohnZ has a close up pic that helps. Found similar pics at vendor sites but not as close up as John's.

It looks like the brass fitting is a take off of the standard plumbing bushing / nut, but on the Vette one the bushing is part of the nut. I suspect that you can remove / re-tighten only a few times before a replacement is in order. I removed mine and re-tightened but I still seem to have a leak so guess a replacement is in order. I just replaced the distributor and had a real fun time getting it running again, must have had distributor in / out a dozen times before I got the timing correct. Guess I wiggled the line a few times, noticed a lot of oil on the ground after setting timing, added a quart, went for a ride and down a quart again so zeroed in on this as the culprit, it has leaks but have never added a quart before the spring oil change before.

Thanks for all the help guys
I discovered the same problem with mine, the feral on the line had been crimped ( a no no) and leaked. Went to (Ace Hardware) and they had a complete repair kit in the gas line fitting section. I cut off the old fitting (dermal tool) and slip on the new feral tighten (no crimping) the nut and all is well.

Mark.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Is it a good idea to use some Teflon tape on the fitting on the screw that goes in the block? I assume the tapered one that screws into it and the tapered one in the gauge don't need it.
The following users liked this post:
jcchevy (02-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2010, 12:20 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bweaver999
Is it a good idea to use some Teflon tape on the fitting on the screw that goes in the block? I assume the tapered one that screws into it and the tapered one in the gauge don't need it.
i would use the teflon paste, seems to work better for me and others too...jmo....

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure line question

Quick Reply: Oil pressure line question