C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Change back-up into stop light

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Five Window
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got under car to see what I'd done. Tapped into the bright filament wire going to each brake/tail light, green wire on right side, yellow on left. Used 3-M taps to hook each to the cut backup light lead. Now both lights act as brake and signal lights. Got the RED led lamps from Super Bright LEDS. I did have to turn a bit of metal off the back of the lamps for them to seat all the way down into the backup lite sockets.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
SledgeHammer 2.0
Drifting

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vt65
why not hang a 3rd brake light inside that big back window, my friend put one in his '74 coupe and feels much safer, might be a bit of a wiring nightmare but they'd have no excuse then!
Originally Posted by wenmaxjr
For coupe owners. I installed a third high mounted LED brake light. I used a Pilot LED Strip with 15 LEDs. It attaches to the upper rear window rubber seal. I got a simple circuit from JC Whitney designed for this type of application. Works just like modern third brake light. Unless someone points it out you don't know it is there until you step on the brake. Other LED strips could be used. Super Bright LEDs has strips as well as LED replacements for the 1157 bulbs.

Wendell

Man Guys, That seems they way to go.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:24 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 336 Likes on 262 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Five Window
Finally got under car to see what I'd done. Tapped into the bright filament wire going to each brake/tail light, green wire on right side, yellow on left. Used 3-M taps to hook each to the cut backup light lead. Now both lights act as brake and signal lights. Got the RED led lamps from Super Bright LEDS. I did have to turn a bit of metal off the back of the lamps for them to seat all the way down into the backup lite sockets.
Five Window, Thanks for all of your help on this and for the specifics on the wires to splice into. I really appreciate you taking the time to make it so clear. I'll definitely be doing the change when the car comes out of storage in the spring. And by the way, I'm envious of your five window coupe. Before Corvettes I owned a number of 30 and 31 Model A coupes but never got around to turning them into anything else before losing interest. I still think the 30-32 body style is among the most beautiful ever made of any car. Just old fashioned, I guess. Dave
Old 11-24-2010, 12:26 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 336 Likes on 262 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Pugly
In my convertible I'd need to glue the light bar to the back of my head. Maybe not a bad idea.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugly
Guess I'll need two of them for the split windows. Which one will be the third and which one will be the fourth rear brake light?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:45 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,174 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Guess I'll need two of them for the split windows. Which one will be the third and which one will be the fourth rear brake light?
Better yet. Put it into the gas flap behind the emblem and let the flap light up.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:04 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
Better yet. Put it into the gas flap behind the emblem and let the flap light up.
Kool idea. That would most certainly be unique.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:29 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I've had two close calls and had already converted by backups to stop lights and a third brake light was my next choice. Probably still is but building the 406 has higher priority right now.

Quick Reply: Change back-up into stop light