C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

treaure of Canadian sales records

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:39 AM
wolfwatcher
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default treaure of Canadian sales records

I spent a good part of yesterday with old friend Jerry Coffey, who I am more than happy to say is alive and kicking and doing well at 86 yrs of age, and contrary to earlier erroneous reports of his demise. I have known Jerry since the early 1960s and we figure I bought 4 or 5 Corvettes from him in the 1960s. Jerry was the top Vette salesman in Canada virtually from the day he started at Gorries Chev-Olds in 1953, through until he retired from Golden Mile Chev-Olds decades later. He is still the same great guy he always was. We swapped lies for hours.

Jerry also sold a lot of performance stuff besides Corvettes, and kept meticulous files. He gave it all to me and as time permits the intention is to try to match them up with the cars they belong to, carefully, so that it might help to preserve the cars that are left and their histories. At only a quick glance, there is some fascinating material in there, complete with owner names & addresses, VINs, options, dates, trade-ins, all of that. I will not charge for any of it. I don't believe every damn thing should be reduced to a buck. Owners will just have to verify they are the current owner.

Gorries and Golden Mile were both Chev-Olds dealers, so carried the full line of each, but keep in mind there were also new car dealer trades that could be Pontiac, Buick, etc, as well as trade-ins that I see listed with VINs.

So if any of you guys know owners of vehicles that originated with either Gorries or Golden Mile, tell them to send me a PM with their VIN and I will see if I can help them out, but no phone calls. Too grumpy for that.

For you guys familiar with organizations and sites specializing in the other GM makes, feel free to send them the same message

Lance Hill

Last edited by wolfwatcher; 11-17-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: opening of message was missing
The following 3 users liked this post by wolfwatcher:
Bryanwks (05-06-2022), rowingone (05-04-2022), TriPwr (02-11-2022)
Old 11-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Lance,

Where was Gorries and Golden Mile located?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
wolfwatcher
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Lance,

Where was Gorries and Golden Mile located?
Toronto & the suburb of Scarborough
Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Lance/midyr, You are a class act and a real asset to the hobby. Dennis
Old 11-17-2010, 02:26 PM
wolfwatcher
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
Thanks. We gotta document these puppies while we can, also help stamp out the fraudsters.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM
midstyle
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by midyr
Toronto & the suburb of Scarborough
Eglington Ave East. Lucky there was a subway stop close by, 'cause I had to drop off my new '72 #08196 there dozens of times to correct nuisance production damage or errors.

For Mike W; here's a few pics -- note the Canadian window sticker for the white car.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Gotta love them Z49 cars!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Very cool thing to do.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Yup, very cool. With the existing documentation held by GM Canada on all domestically delivered cars, and the delivery report info from NCRS, this adds another element history.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:29 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

midyr....you're the man! very good of you to do this .... come to think of it i remember seeing a '75 White convert on Kijiji for sale recently with a Gorries plate on the back
Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 AM
cspiteri
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lance;
I sent you a PM regarding Jerry.
Chuck Spiteri
Old 02-12-2020, 04:56 PM
Burkley Don
1st Gear

I know this is an old post but I thought I would give it a try anyway. I have a 65 Corvette Coupe. I have traced two previous owners, the earliest one living in Ontario, Canada. I would appreciate any help you can offer. I believe this vehicle spent most of its life in Canada and is a strong possibility it was purchased there. Here is the VIN:194375S111997. This is a 65 327 coupe in Glen Green with most factory options. If this VIN can be checked with any records in Canada, it might lead me to find the original owner. Thanks for any help you can offer. Don B.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:57 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

At 9+ years ago, your best bet would be to send a PM to the OP and see if he is still around and if he still has the info. If that fails, try starting a new thread specific to the car you are seeking info for. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find, some of us love these old history searches!
Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Mikey, where ya been?
John this is a TEN year old thread
Old 02-12-2020, 08:20 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
John this is a TEN year old thread
Yup, just deleted it - forgot to check the post date...
Old 05-03-2022, 09:22 PM
Bryanwks
2nd Gear

Default 1963 Corvette

Originally Posted by wolfwatcher
I spent a good part of yesterday with old friend Jerry Coffey, who I am more than happy to say is alive and kicking and doing well at 86 yrs of age, and contrary to earlier erroneous reports of his demise. I have known Jerry since the early 1960s and we figure I bought 4 or 5 Corvettes from him in the 1960s. Jerry was the top Vette salesman in Canada virtually from the day he started at Gorries Chev-Olds in 1953, through until he retired from Golden Mile Chev-Olds decades later. He is still the same great guy he always was. We swapped lies for hours.

Jerry also sold a lot of performance stuff besides Corvettes, and kept meticulous files. He gave it all to me and as time permits the intention is to try to match them up with the cars they belong to, carefully, so that it might help to preserve the cars that are left and their histories. At only a quick glance, there is some fascinating material in there, complete with owner names & addresses, VINs, options, dates, trade-ins, all of that. I will not charge for any of it. I don't believe every damn thing should be reduced to a buck. Owners will just have to verify they are the current owner.

Gorries and Golden Mile were both Chev-Olds dealers, so carried the full line of each, but keep in mind there were also new car dealer trades that could be Pontiac, Buick, etc, as well as trade-ins that I see listed with VINs.

So if any of you guys know owners of vehicles that originated with either Gorries or Golden Mile, tell them to send me a PM with their VIN and I will see if I can help them out, but no phone calls. Too grumpy for that.

For you guys familiar with organizations and sites specializing in the other GM makes, feel free to send them the same message

Lance Hill
I know this post is 10 years but this is a shot in the dark
I have 1963 corvette from golden mile
I am looking for more information about.
Bryan

Last edited by Bryanwks; 05-06-2022 at 09:52 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To treaure of Canadian sales records

Quick Reply: treaure of Canadian sales records