C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What is a 65 worth in pieces?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 10:07 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a 65 worth in pieces?

The frame has been all done with new parts and painted with Emron and is all together. The matching numbers 350 (I think it's a 350, it is a small block) and 4spd are around the shop somewhere. The body is in good shape and mostly done though in primer, it is currently on a body dolly. I'm not sure how much may be missing but I know the guy who owns it fairly well and he has been restoring vettes for years but has decided to close down his garage and go to work for someone else. I'm really trying to get an idea of what it is all worth. Can someone give me an idea of what it's value is in it's current condition?

thanks
VC

[Modified by vcole@metrocast.net, 7:45 PM 4/7/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 10:38 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: What is a 65 worth in pieces? (vcole@metrocast.net)

Well, a ballpark average value for the finished product might be in the $25-30K range. Maybe a bit more if it is really nice and really pretty correct/original. Now, the question is what would it take to get it to this stage. Whatever you think, multiply by 2 (or more). It's very difficult to tell what's missing/unuseable/needs repair or restoration. If it's a 350, it's not matching numbers. Unless you mean 350 HP vs 350 CID. How do you know it's in good shape? Same for other driveline components.

If you think this is a great way to get a $30K car for $15K, reconsider. If you want a project and like this particular model, maybe it's a match. If you are considering turning it over to another restoration shop, hang on to your wallet. The shop will have no idea of the cost to restore either, until they can inventory parts and do some serious checking. Then, it's still just an estimate.

If it is a pretty solid car, and almost all the major parts are present and useable (without rechroming/repairing/etc.), it might be worth $10-12K. Really hard to guess sight unseen. Hard to guess in person for that matter. :eek:
Old 04-05-2002, 09:37 AM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

You should try to assemble a list of parts that you will need to finish
the car. Then check off each one he has.
Then add up the cost of the missing pieces. You'll get an idea of how
much more you have to spend after you buy it.

Old 04-05-2002, 07:57 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Well, I must admit, it sounds tempting. You do need to do as thorough an inventory as possible. You haven't mentioned interior. The soft parts aren't that much of a concern, but the hard parts , gauges, radio, moldings, etc. can be very pricey. If the main components (frame/suspension and body) have been professionally restored and are really nice, you certainly have a leg up on assembling a nice car. :D
Old 04-05-2002, 08:31 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

Default Re: What is a 65 worth in pieces? (62fuelie)

I do have a bit more info as well. As I said the frame and body are nicely done but I found out the matching numbers motor is a 396. It also is all done but it has been beefed up alot. The car is supposed to be forest green. I think he has a ton of money into it, not to mention his time. He told me he has about 200 hours into the rolling chassis.

thanks
VC
:cheers:

[Modified by vcole@metrocast.net, 7:48 PM 4/7/2002]
Old 04-05-2002, 09:01 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

The fact that the car is apparently a matching #'s 396 sort of alters the economics of the deal. Per Corvette Mike's price calculator, http://www.corvettemagazine.com/cgi-...lcResults.cfm, the 396 carries a premium of more than $20K over the base engine. Given a conversion factor into the real world, this premium is probably a lot less, but still hefty. The finished car may be more in the $40K range, depending on final condition and other options. If not too much is missing/unuseable, a price of $15K or maybe even a bit higher is probably not out of line. Your break even on finishing the resto would be $20K+, so your chance of having one of those "$50K in receipts, sell for $25K" cars on your hands is greatly reduced. Sounds like a project well worth investigating. :D
Old 04-05-2002, 09:05 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

I see what you mean. I didn't realize the 396 brought the value up so high. Maybe I'm not as close to what he will want as I thought. I'll have to talk about it with him tomorrow.

thanks
VC
Old 04-05-2002, 09:06 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plot thickens...............
Old 04-05-2002, 09:07 PM
class72
Intermediate

stay friends and find another project ! :boxing
Old 04-05-2002, 09:21 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

At least ask him what he wants for it. He may not have a whole lot in it, or he may be real motivated to get rid of it. Remember, if it's going to cost you $20K to finish it, it's going to cost him just as much, or nearly so.
Old 04-05-2002, 09:38 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

An original motor 396 65 is worth a ton of money done to Bloomington Gold and/or NCRS standards. A real 396 roadster commands nearly as much as a 66 or 67 427 solid lifter car.....60K +/- Food for thought. Chuck
Old 04-05-2002, 10:25 PM
Mag Red Man
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What is a 65 worth in pieces? (Chuck Gongloff)

If it's a real 396 car, and not just a small block car with a restamped 396 block, you may have something there. The 396 has many rare, one time use parts that can be very hard and very expensive to get. The Holley 3124, the intake and exhaust manifolds, the TI hardware, radiator, heads, on and on.

Sounds interesting though. I'd take inventory of the drivetrain, check the numbers on the tranny and diff.

Make sure the VIN is higher than 11,000.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:10 AM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What is a 65 worth in pieces? (Chuck Gongloff)

Your right Chuck, only the 67 435's have been going for more lately.
Might be a great project "if" all the parts are there.
(as Mag Red Man pointed out)
You will never know how hard these parts are to locate, till you need them. Just not all that many laying around.
I had a hell of a time finding orig exhaust manifolds.
(That and the stupid fuel filter) But now its over.....:D .........
Charlie Sheen had a 65 396 and told his mech. to just keep them
when they installed headers. I got lucky and the dates worked.
They are in a box for someday. But it was pure luck.
Sounds like it could be a good project. Just know these parts are like hens teeth to find. And expect to pay a Kings ransom when you do find them.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:24 AM
chitown65
Instructor

Default Re: What is a 65 worth in pieces? (396 RAT)

Vcole,

Why don't you collect some numbers and trim code information and let's see what you got? Always interested in learning more about the 396 cars.

BTW are you sure about Forest Green? Maybe Glen Green (RPO GG)?
Old 04-07-2002, 10:43 AM
TheCarVette
Racer

I'd trade my project for the one you mention in a second!
Old 04-07-2002, 08:44 PM
vcole@metrocast.net
Instructor

I have talked to him more in depth. First off he is not quite ready to part with it. He would sell it but would not take less than 45K for it now. He is the second owner of the car. He bought it for 18K in 93 with the paint stripped off of it. He has been working on it for years and been building it to some national Corvette standard. (he named it but I'm not familiar with all that stuff). He did say there are a few things he changed that they would deduct points off for like Hedman headers. It is a green, I forget which but it is not forest green. It has 25000 original miles on it. It was raced in it's early days by the person he bought it off of. In 1971 it won 53 out of 55 races at New England Dragway in the stock class. It also held the record of 11.23 in the quarter for the same class. He doesn't know how long the record stood. The two times it was beat was by a Griffith, (whatever that is) a 392 hemi powered car of some type. He said it was a tank but it was powerfull. He also showed me the stickers all over the original rear and side windows. Diamond shape stickers that say New England Dragway Class Winner, 53 of them. He has most all the parts for it, many came with the car when he bought it and were factory parts purchased by the original owner. Almost all the parts are factory left overs that he bought at a premium through Hemmings adds or other connections. He did say all the parts cost a premium price, like the radiator which he paid 1500 for. He has a ton of car parts all over the shop and knew where everything was for the car, we just had to dust some things off.

He said he needs about two weeks worth of work to finish it, (knowing him that means 4-6 as he is a perfectionist). The car has been sitting under the tarps for years, he said he lost interest but that he will finish it someday. I will try and get pix of it sometime in the near future when I can get him to start on it again. His eyes certainly lit up when I started asking about it. I have known him for a couple years through a friend, when I started looking for a project he offered to help and since them I have gotten to know him better. He does very nice work especially on vettes. I greatly underestimated the car as it's all under tarps and plastic all over his shop. We never really talked about it before but once we started he told me alot. He also has a 93 ZR1 with 12000 miles on it. Needless to say it's way out of my price range

VC
:cheers:
Old 04-08-2002, 12:41 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

I saw a red /red 2 top real 396 car, original motor sell last week for high $60's.
The value is there if it is a "real' car. Glen green is a neat color. Does it have saddle interior?
JRG
Old 04-08-2002, 09:33 PM
Mag Red Man
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What is a 65 worth in pieces? (jimgessner)

vcole,

Oh man, I'd give my left you know what to own a 396 with Drag strip pedigree. If that car could talk, what a story it could tell. 396 Rat owns a car with road racing history, driven by some very famous folks.

I can hear that car now, clutch being dumped at 3,000 rpm, speed shifting at 6500 through open exhaust.

I just think mid years with race history are so cool.

Get notified of new replies

To What is a 65 worth in pieces?

Quick Reply: What is a 65 worth in pieces?