C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Keisler Trany Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:04 AM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Keisler Trany Trouble

i've got a tremec 5sp in my 64 vert. went out for a drive yesterday. when i went to down shift from 5th to 4th she growned the gears and then couldn't get into any gear while the car was still running. so i shut the car off and it went into gear. did it three diffferent times. called keisler. they said it sounded like a broken part inside the trany and that i should sent it back to them and they will fix and send it back to me. they said that they will only pay for shipping back to me, not to get it there. its still under warranty. wouldn't you think they would pay shipping both ways? did anyone else go though this with Keisler???
thanks, RAY
Old 11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Let's see. You spend thousands of dollars plus shipping and receive broken parts. Now they want you to pay shipping (very expensive) to return their crap? That's B.S.

Jim
Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 AM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1snake
Let's see. You spend thousands of dollars plus shipping and receive broken parts. Now they want you to pay shipping (very expensive) to return their crap? That's B.S.

Jim
thats what i thought!!!!!! i thought that they would just send me a new one and i'd send the broken one back.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:39 AM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it goes into gear with the engine off, chances are the issue is in the clutch, not the transmission.......

With the engine not running, can you shift it through all the gears? What happens now with the engine running trying to go through the gears?

By the way....SOP is to have the customer send the transmission back on their dime and the company will then cover the repairs and return shipping. They (or anyone else in the business) are not going to send you a new one up front without looking at the "broken" one first. They will want to rule out (or narrow it down to..) user error/fault before giving up a new unit.

Last edited by rj8806; 11-11-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 PM
KC John
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 95 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Once they rule out the user error, they should reimburse the purchaser for the shipping cost back to them. That is what I hate about warrantees, there is always some stupid rule that screws the purchaser.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:56 PM
KeislerSales
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you guys are quick to bash without even knowing what his real issue is yet. As stated in the warranty documents, the customer is responsible for return shipping. And guys keep in mind we don't make the transmission, Tremec does. Their warranty is only 6 months and would be a much larger hassle for any repairs.

It sounds like a clutch issue as Richard has stated. A hard internal failure would make the issue occur repeatedly and not go away. Could be a pilot/runout issue as well.

64tux, please call Ben at ext. 151 or Keith at ext. 212 for any further assistance. ben.dehaven@keislerauto.com -or- keith.farren@keislerauto.com

And as far as troubles with Tremec? There is no trouble. We have the best warranty in the business on new Tremec products at 5 years.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:01 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KeislerJeff
Wow, you guys are quick to bash without even knowing what his real issue is yet. As stated in the warranty documents, the customer is responsible for return shipping. And guys keep in mind we don't make the transmission, Tremec does. Their warranty is only 6 months and would be a much larger hassle for any repairs.

It sounds like a clutch issue as Richard has stated. A hard internal failure would make the issue occur repeatedly and not go away. Could be a pilot/runout issue as well.

64tux, please call Ben at ext. 151 or Keith at ext. 212 for any further assistance. ben.dehaven@keislerauto.com -or- keith.farren@keislerauto.com

And as far as troubles with Tremec? There is no trouble. We have the best warranty in the business on new Tremec products at 5 years.
why would you guys think its a clutch problem? when i push in the clutch its out of gear and won't shift. stays in neutro and can't even force it in gear. my clutch is 6 months old, pilot bearing is new. if its not the trany what would you replace to make things right?????? are you saying that my trany has a 5 year warranty?? i bought it last dec.????

Last edited by 64tux; 11-11-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: adding to it.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
KeislerSales
Racer

Originally Posted by 64tux
why would you guys think its a clutch problem? when i push in the clutch its out of gear and won't shift. stays in neutro and can't even force it in gear. my clutch is 6 months old, pilot bearing is new. if its not the trany what would you replace to make things right?????? are you saying that my trany has a 5 year warranty?? i bought it last dec.????
But it will go into gear with the engine off correct?

The 5 year warranty started March 2010. You have a 1 year warranty.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:17 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

When one of your customers has to come here to complain? You've dropped the ball.

Instead of debating the warranty conditions. Just make the guy happy. This thread alone will cost you more than paying the shipping.

It takes many new customers to make up for the damage done by one unhappy customer.No matter who is in the right.

Put yourself in your customers shoes.

IMHO. Your only response on this Forum should have been you are contacting the customer to make sure it's worked out to his satisfaction.

I have considered buying a Tremec from your company. But I keep running into threads like this every few months.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 11-11-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

But it will go into gear with the engine off correct?

The 5 year warranty started March 2010. You have a 1 year warranty.
YES, it goes into gear when off!!
Old 11-11-2010, 05:31 PM
KeislerSales
Racer

Originally Posted by 1sttexan
When one of your customers has to come here to complain? You've dropped the ball.

Instead of debating the warranty conditions. Just make the guy happy. This thread alone will cost you more than paying the shipping.

It takes many new customers to make up for the damage done by one unhappy customer.

IMHO
No debate here. We're more than happy to correct the issue if it is indeed an internal failure. There are diagnostic steps required to reach the next decision. Once all the simple things are eliminated we can move on.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:37 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

No debate here. We're more than happy to correct the issue if it is indeed an internal failure. There are diagnostic steps required to reach the next decision. Once all the simple things are eliminated we can move on.
so are you saying to send it in or not???? all i want is a good fix. i appreciate any help you can give me.
KeislerSales
Racer

YES, it goes into gear when off!!
If you have eliminated all doubt that it's the clutch or any other simple item pull the trans and ship it to us so we can disassemble it and see what's going on.
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

What is the result if you put the tranny in first or reverse, motor off, then start, or attempt to start the engine? Make sure you have space in front or rear of car. Continue to hold clutch in.
Chuck

Last edited by Chuck72; 11-11-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
KeislerSales
Racer

so are you saying to send it in or not???? all i want is a good fix. i appreciate any help you can give me.
Yes, send it in and we'll be happy to check it out.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:41 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by rj8806
By the way....SOP is to have the customer send the transmission back on their dime and the company will then cover the repairs and return shipping.
It may be SOP for these guys (not surprising ) but every company I've ever dealt with will send a call tag if there is a problem with something they sold.

Jim
Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuckievette
What is the result if you put the tranny in first or reverse, motor off, then start, or attempt to start the engine? Make sure you have space in front or rear of car.
Chuck
once i turn car off i can put it in any gear and drive off. and it works fine till i down shift, then it won't go in any gear. but not every time. clutch works like normal. when i down shift i'm stuck in nuetral, can't get back in gear and car just rolls in nuetral.

Get notified of new replies

To Keisler Trany Trouble

Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 1snake
It may be SOP for these guys (not surprising ) but every company I've ever dealt with will send a call tag if there is a problem with something they sold.

Jim
That is true in some cases, however, first and foremost in this situation, somebody needs to successfully isolate the culprit component. It might be the tranny, it might not. A vendor needs to be roasted only after his component is identified as the culprit, and the customer, reasonably feels that he is getting the end of the stick with the stuff on it.
Chuck
Old 11-11-2010, 05:51 PM
KeislerSales
Racer

Originally Posted by chuckievette
that is true in some cases, however, first and foremost in this situation, somebody needs to successfully isolate the culprit component. It might be the tranny, it might not. A vendor needs to be roasted only after his component is identified as the culprit, and the customer, reasonably feels that he is getting the end of the stick with the stuff on it.
Chuck
Thank you.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:52 PM
JBL Specialty
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It sounds like the clutch wont release.could be several possible things but I would take the trans out and check all the clutch parts,it will have to be removed to send back anyway.

Quick Reply: Keisler Trany Trouble