C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Why did you have to have a Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 817 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Corbrastang
The Factory Five body, past or present, is not an exact copy of the original. Despite their best attempts at making a fiberglass body that would fit their frame and look like the originals, it is still a little funky looking to me The Kirkham however, is an exact replica. The superformance has a very close body and so does unique. Im not sure about the other 90 manufactures that i did not list. I think the hurricane bodies look pretty decent though.

From what i understand, FFR attempted to copy dick smiths car, but could not due to the alterations they had to make in order for it to fit their frame. Glad to see they finally dropped the butt to cover the exposed gas tank and rolled the cockpit edges though. Too bad they did not fix the fat vertical roll bar or the side pipe cut outs. I hope they fixed the problem with their sagging pipes though and the frankenstein bolts that are exposed on the sides and front.
I own an original 1963 full competition roadster ex-Bob Johnson. The FFR does not come close, in design, to looking like my car.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
I own an original 1963 full competition roadster ex-Bob Johnson. The FFR does not come close, in design, to looking like my car.
You're talking two totally different cars. FFR never made a small block body. All their previous bodies are hideous looking if you ask me but their latest one is as close to an original 427 body than any other including Kirkham. I probably already told you but the guy down the street from me has an original 1964 that he bought brand new. From what I understand, only two exist that are still owned by the original purchaser, his and jazz musician Herbie Hancock's car.

Jim
Old 07-20-2011, 02:16 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Anybody remember the TVR Griffith 200/400 circa 1964. Cobra wannabe but pretty impressive little car. It's short wheelbase made it a little squirley but it was light and quick with Ford 289 power. A friend of mine autocrossed his regularly and was virtually unbeatable.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Cobra or C2, in my case it's the difference between building a car and owning one. I just finished the build of my Cobra replica. It is a replica, it is fake, it is unsophisticated, whatever you want to name it. To make the insult complete, it even has a V6 engine in it. But building it was a fantastic journey, I enjoyed every minute of it. The reward and satisfaction is incomparable. The more that my Cobra is not of the 'put nut 3 on bolt 5' type like FFR has, where all parts are available and do fit. In mine, I had to sort out a zillion things myself. I learned more in these 3 years about cars than on the 50 years of my life before that.

I know the satisfaction of buying cars too and I spend more money on exclusive cars than what my mother would call reasonable. But it's not a match to my Cobra.

So now my Cobra is done I turn my head to the C2, it is just an incredible car. It has grace, sophistication, luxury,... none of that in my Cobra. I really would like to ... BUILD one. Providing I find the C2 that has not been rebuild already, which is quite a challenge because most seem to have gone through some overhauling already. For what I want to do, it makes them uninteresting because they are 'too nice' and stripping the car at the price already payed for it would be really insane.

First step is taken already, I bought the shop manuals to study the project

Alexander
Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Vetterway
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Who makes the nicest Cobra replica

I have heard it is a South African firm, Superperformance in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Anyone have experience with their product?

Vetterway
Old 07-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The first time I saw a big-block Cobra in the flesh (or should that be "in the aluminum") was at a SCCA national race at VIR during spring, 1966. Three big blocks, all benefiting from back-door Shelby support were in attendance...Ed Lowther, Hal Keck and Bob Grossman were the drivers. Lowther won, followed by Don Yenko in a Corvette. As of that weekend, the Cobra became my "ultimate sports car" and ownership was, for 20 years, my automotive dream. Finally, in summer of 1986, I bought CSX 32XX and drove it regularly on particularly good-weather, cool-temperature days for many years. However, in 2005 I bought my '64 coupe and the Cobra was then relegated to very occasional outings. So, the old beast now rests in the garage next to the Corvette, venturing out very rarely. In my opinion, the experience of driving the Cobra vs. the Corvette is analogous to trying to handle a viscious pitbull vs. a well-trained German Shepherd.

Last edited by Cobra66; 07-20-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superformance yes very familiar with them. Over here they are extremely expensive we have shocking red tape. Very well built, quality product.
Last post you say you have the real deal Cobra any chance of posting a photo for us to dribble over ! Stewy
Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 AM
65Corvette
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone who says a Factory 5 car is "... put nut 3 on bolt 5..." build process has never built one or looked at the build manual. Don't let anyone tell you there is no fabrication work or mods required to do it right. As for parts availability, I've always viewed that as a good thing whether its Corvettes or Cobras.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 PM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Corvette
Anyone who says a Factory 5 car is "... put nut 3 on bolt 5..." build process has never built one or looked at the build manual. Don't let anyone tell you there is no fabrication work or mods required to do it right.
I was the one saying that, you are right, except that my kit (Pilgrim) is absolutely and by far less refined than the FFR (I use the FFR build manual of the Daytona -which I do have in my possession - as a reference). I did not want to talk down the efforts all the builders of the FFR Cobra went through building their jewels!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:38 PM
65Corvette
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

No worries. Would love to see some pics of your car though.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:50 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 554 Likes on 447 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65Corvette
No worries. Would love to see some pics of your car though.
Better yet video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7XkcTgfNzo

PS nobody waas seriously hurt in the video.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vetterway
I have heard it is a South African firm, Superperformance in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Anyone have experience with their product?

Vetterway
A very good product, no matter what it is. Pete Brock worked with them on the reintro of the Daytona Coupe. Originally, the cars were sold as a "turn key minus" (engine and trans). An excellent marketing coup for them, as it took very little work to get them up and running. They were priced very well in the mid $30s, originally. They sold a ton of them and the quality was always right there.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 1snake
You're talking two totally different cars. FFR never made a small block body. All their previous bodies are hideous looking if you ask me but their latest one is as close to an original 427 body than any other including Kirkham. I probably already told you but the guy down the street from me has an original 1964 that he bought brand new. From what I understand, only two exist that are still owned by the original purchaser, his and jazz musician Herbie Hancock's car.

Jim
You are correct, Jim, and the first design was pretty bad. I am always amazed at how almost all the manufacturers went with the 427 body design. ERA was really the first to try the 289 FIA, followed by Unique. The 289 is where the Cobra made its "bones" but, I guess, the allure of big horsepower and the mystic of the 427 was magical in the minds of the American public.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Because we wanted an aluminum body for our fund-raiser in 1968. Even little kids and old ladies could smash that soft body with sledge hammers at $5 for 5 swings! One of our members saved the 289 and trans, the rest went to the scrap yard.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
I own an original SCCA National Championship car (CSX 2189) that was owned and campaigned by the legendary Robert Lyle "Columbus Bob" Johnson. The Shelby Cobra has one of the most impressive histories in the world of autos. That is what drew me to the marque.
Dan, Is THIS your car?
Bob Johnson drove this car (96) to (I think) 5th place in GT over 2.5 liter at the USRRC race at Pensacola in March of 1965. His differential overheated and failed, but he finished. Skip Scott drove the 91 car, and you are correct, the FIA made us run as a "Prototype over 2.5 liter", because the car was not, (and never was) homologated as a GT car. Skip finished 2nd in class and 3rd Overall.
I have driven a 260, a 289, and CSX 3009 "Ollie the Dragon" but I chose to buy a Corvette because I really wanted a "GT" car, not a race car. (By the way, do you know my fellow Group 6 competitor Lynn Park?)

Last edited by 63Corvette; 05-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
Because we wanted an aluminum body for our fund-raiser in 1968. Even little kids and old ladies could smash that soft body with sledge hammers at $5 for 5 swings! One of our members saved the 289 and trans, the rest went to the scrap yard.
Another nearly year old thread brought back from the dead.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:46 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
True. ..
I must have missed reading it on the first go-round. Very much enjoyed reading through these threads. Never realized how many here own(ed) Cobra's! ... WOW

Get notified of new replies

To Why did you have to have a Cobra

Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
bluester
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cobra = Bellybutton

Originally Posted by 1snake
First off, let me say that Cobras aren't for everyone and neither are Corvettes.
The comment about cheap English car with a massive engine is exactly what the originals were. The kit/repo. cars have far superior suspension, steering and brakes. I'm 6'2" and fit very comfortably in mine. The interior quality depends on the builder/manufacturer. Mine is very nice. About all they are good for Sunday cruises which is what the vast majority of Corvette owners use theirs for as well.

To answer your for question as to "Why?", I say "Why not?" They are a fun car to drive, faster than most anything on the road, they're loud & obnoxious and pizz off the local tree huggers.

Jim
They are everywhere now days and a thousand different distortions of the original. On cruise nights, I don't even go over and look at 'em any more. Step up, Build a Scarab!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Willie'sVette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Kinda like those Freddy movies....he gets killed at the end of each movie, but is resurrected in time for the sequel(s).

Not that this is a bum thread....it's quite interesting in fact.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Sold each one for about what I had in it ($50-$60K), then built my Grand Sport.
Wish I had enough candles on my birthday cake to build a Grand Sport. About how much $ goes into building one?

Quick Reply: Why did you have to have a Cobra