C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Recovery tank on a Big Block

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:32 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Recovery tank on a Big Block

As most of you know I put a 427 in my '67 convertible last winter. In as much as I was going for a stock look I removed the coolant recover tank and hardware. Car does not overheat but sometimes when I turn it off it pukes. It happend yesterday at a local car show. (Took first place C2 BTW). Car was on a slight down hill and here comes the antifreeze. Spent the whole day explaining it was nothing and that is what it is suppose to do. Sooo this morning I am out in the shed looking for the tank and hardware. Started to install but thought I'd get some feedback from my buds here on the forum. Outside of the fact it will look totally incorrect what is/are the down side?

Earl
Old 10-17-2010, 06:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

tell em its a L88. if you are going to lie, lie big time
Old 10-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure of this on a C2 BB, but on newer favtory cars, there is an "expansion tank" that allows coolant to go there when the hot block expands, then when the system cools, making more room, the coolant is pulled back into the block/heads. So that little tank liquid level goes up and down, but under a slight vacuum, not atmospheric.

If it works this way on a C2 BB, then you would not "puke" coolant when stopping as the tank would hold it untill cool, then suck it back.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
snydes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying you want to use the small block expansion tank with a big block brass radiator? I don't see why you couldn't use it as just a puke tank, if you want it to be able to pull it back into the radiator, than you would have to change to a radiator cap that was designed to do so.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

What kind of radiator do you have?

If it's a stock BB radiator, there will be a "fill" line about 4" or so from the top on the passenger side of the radiator. If you over fill it - it will puke.

I use a Be-Cool and keep it filled to about 3" from the top. My car doesn't overheat, but it did puke until the coolant found its proper level.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry N. Johnson
Not sure of this on a C2 BB, but on newer favtory cars, there is an "expansion tank" that allows coolant to go there when the hot block expands, then when the system cools, making more room, the coolant is pulled back into the block/heads. So that little tank liquid level goes up and down, but under a slight vacuum, not atmospheric.

If it works this way on a C2 BB, then you would not "puke" coolant when stopping as the tank would hold it untill cool, then suck it back.
Originally Posted by snydes
Are you saying you want to use the small block expansion tank with a big block brass radiator? I don't see why you couldn't use it as just a puke tank, if you want it to be able to pull it back into the radiator, than you would have to change to a radiator cap that was designed to do so.
thats what i did with a small block tank on my 66, makes a modern system that looks stock and hardly ever builds any pressure unless of course im in a parade.....
Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by midyearvette
thats what i did with a small block tank on my 66, makes a modern system that looks stock and hardly ever builds any pressure unless of course im in a parade.....
Thanks! One more question answered.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:32 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by nassau66427
What kind of radiator do you have?

If it's a stock BB radiator, there will be a "fill" line about 4" or so from the top on the passenger side of the radiator. If you over fill it - it will puke.

I use a Be-Cool and keep it filled to about 3" from the top. My car doesn't overheat, but it did puke until the coolant found its proper level.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Great minds think alike...I pulled my L79 327 and put a L89 427 into my '67 last winter too. And I used my expansion tank as a recovery tank. It works as advertised. Takes some practice to have enough coolant in the recovery tank to keep things cool, but not puke it out the overflow when the rad does it's thing. Yeah, it looks "different," but who says different is always bad...you should see the underside of my BB stinger hood...I painted it exactly the same as the top side of my hood...body color with white stripe...everyone who sees it loves it...looks like it should have been stock...try the tank, I think you'll be glad you did...Nick
Old 10-18-2010, 01:01 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

What kind of radiator are you using?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

On this subject, got this message:

here's my set up
look closely at the bottom of the tank. one nipple is plugged and the other goes to the rad over flow tube, the upper vent tube goes to atmosphere and there is a modern vented rad cap at the rad....works like a charm and the tube from the rad must go to the bottom of the tank for recovery....
Sweet setup!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Earl:

I use a Meizre recovery tank on my car. It is darned near invisible when installed.
Attached Images    
Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I am running a DeWitts alum replacement style for the BB.

Earl
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by bigearl56
I am running a DeWitts alum replacement style for the BB.

Earl
Next time it "pukes", don't top it off - just leave it alone; the side tanks provide the required space for normal expansion of hot coolant; if you keep topping it off, it'll keep puking. Leave it be and when it reaches its "happy level", it won't puke any more.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Happy Water Level

Thanks to all who replied. John Z, I will give it a try.

Earl
Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bigearl56
Thanks to all who replied. John Z, I will give it a try.

Earl
do what you like but remember, if you go the modern route, there is no pressure on the cooling system until you really heat up like with a long idle a parade or after shut down and heat sink, which is pretty cool when you think about it......jmo....good luck....
Old 10-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

do what you like but remember, if you go the modern route, there is no pressure on the cooling system until you really heat up like with a long idle a parade or after shut down and heat sink,

This statement is not correct. There is no air in the system, but the cap still vents at the set pressure with the excess coolant flowing to the recovery tank. This happens during every normal thermal cycle of the engine and long before the after post-shutdown heat soak (not heat sink) The coolant returns to the rad during cool down.

Get notified of new replies

To Recovery tank on a Big Block

Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
This statement is not correct. There is no air in the system, but the cap still vents at the set pressure with the excess coolant flowing to the recovery tank. This happens during every normal thermal cycle of the engine and long before the after post-shutdown heat soak (not heat sink) The coolant returns to the rad during cool down.
bad info.....the "open" system cap vents continuously until things heat up, then the cap closes when pressure is required to hold boil over but don't take my word for it just open the hood on many newer cars and squeeze the upper hose when cold and listen to the recovery tank....vented cap....just another way to put newer technology into an old system,at cool down, the valve in the cap opens up to refill the rad....i just got back from an evening cruise with wifey and running 180, lifted the hood and no pressure on the hoses, after awhile there is pressure due to heat soak or sink or whatever

there are many rods out there running a vented cap on a closed system by mistake and the owners are always wondering why the mill pukes everytime they shut it down, of course until it pukes enough to lower the level waay low...

Last edited by midyearvette; 10-19-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

bad info....
Don't think so. If we're talking in the context of old Corvettes, the upper hose on my '73 (first year with a factory coolant recovery tank) remains hard(ish) with the engine stopped and cold. The vent to the recovery tank is most certainly not open.

On my two new generation cars (a Honda and a Jag) the hoses go rock hard as soon as the engine starts- even when stone cold.

If the systems worked as you state the coolant would be at ambient pressure until approaching an overheat condition- this would lower the boiling point by about 45F and is completely the opposite of what is needed.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Don't think so. If we're talking in the context of old Corvettes, the upper hose on my '73 (first year with a factory coolant recovery tank) remains hard(ish) with the engine stopped and cold. The vent to the recovery tank is most certainly not open.

On my two new generation cars (a Honda and a Jag) the hoses go rock hard as soon as the engine starts- even when stone cold.

If the systems worked as you state the coolant would be at ambient pressure until approaching an overheat condition- this would lower the boiling point by about 45F and is completely the opposite of what is needed.
we are not talking in the context of your older corvette and i don't know about your other cars but if the hoses are rock hard as you say when you start them, then you are correct in assuming you have a closed system with a tank to capture over flow and siphon back into the system when cold
check out a jeep grand cherokee v8 say a 99 or so..."open" system and soft hoses during warm up
im not saying all the manufacturers have gone with this system but the smart ones have
go to your flaps and check out the rad caps, you will find some of them in marked packages that say "vented"..they are for open systems and sometimes they find their way on a closed system rad, that makes for some but not all of the puking issues that are posted here
we are both on the same page here mike and agree that it better to capture overflow instead of letting it run on the ground, in my case i thought it best to drill my inner fender for a small block tank and convert it so it looked stock and larry johnson posted a pic of my set up earlier in this thread. it may appear stock looking but carries a few modifications in plumbing to convert the system....the neatest thing to me is the total lack of pressure on the hoses most of the time ..good luck to you my friend.....

Quick Reply: Recovery tank on a Big Block