C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Radius rods replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:42 AM
EVERGREEN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radius rods replaced

Bought a pair of radius rods about 2 years ago and have tried off and on over that time period to replace the rods (old rods bent, bad!).

The problem was the fact that the inner bushing sleeve was rusted to the bolt, both sides. I could get the nuts off but the bolts would just spin inside the rubber bushings.

Tried last year to cut thru the grade 8 bolt with my sawzall but couldn't, too hard.

Recently some one posted that a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF was one heck of a great penetrator. Also ordered a set of Milwaukee "Tork" blades just in case.

After letting the 50/50 mix set for a couple of minutes I got out my cheap Harbor Freight air chisel ($19.95) and 90lbs of air and that damned bolt backed out like it was on ice!!!!!!!!! Thought it might be a fluke so went aroung to the other side, did the same thing and out walked the bolt with no problem.

Dam, that stuff really works good! Thanks to whom ever posted about it.

Jerry
Old 10-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about acetone, but ATF & Kerosene makes "PB Blaster" Those strut bolts/sleeves can be a bear. 4 1/2" diamond bladed angle grinder works miracles too.

Quick Reply: Radius rods replaced