C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Will the C1 & C2 market recover

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:48 AM
Mike7061
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KC John
That would be a special car, but not the norm. I would stop to see your car because it's a big block high HP car, but if it was an average Corvette, it wouldn't get more than a 10 second look from me. I've always been into modified cars.

Also, I've got to be honest Mike, I have yet to see any Corvette or even a hot rod with zoomies set off a car alarm. I know I have read on this forum that it occurs, but I won't believe it until I see it happen.
I drive my cars (currently running are 3 vettes, 2 porsches and 2 old novas) all the time and enjoy the hell out of them, who cares what they are worth as long as I can afford them. This thread is full of so called facts (opinions) that only time will prove true or not. The only thing I know for sure and will demonstrate to anyone anytime is that my 67 with a 540 and 4 inch side-pipes will set off car alarms (PM me and come to NJ and I will prove it). I do it every time I drive it to work (which is on many decent days) and go through the parking lot. Everyone young and old loves the car and I give RIDES to any that want one. I am 57 and have loved cars all my life and will until I die. I am not wealthy but have done OK. I don't believe that I am the norm but there are a lot like me around as I see them every time I go to any car event (races, shows, cruises etc.). I live in northern NJ and commute to work 5 days a week (60 miles each way). It is a much better drive in one of the old performance cars (weather permitting) than using one of the newer cars/trucks. Well, that's the longest post I ever wrote and JMHO but I am wide awake and in front of the computer so WTH. Enjoy your rides and remember the wheels are round so they can roll.

Be good or don't get caught!
G
Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Gl*******
Perhaps when the economies soar in China and India they will be coming over here and buying the cars of their dreams. The prices will remain high but you'll half to fly half way around the world to see one..........
I used to think that young people on the other side of the world would hve zero exposure and thus zero interest in '50s and '60s American cars. But then I remembered that our #1 export is culture: TV shows, movies, video games and music. So young people everywhere DO see our cars, and some will want them as badly as we did back in the day.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Steeler
Instructor

Default Australia.

Lots of Classic American cars here in Oz, and a very popular show and race scene, loads of car clubs, now the Aussie $ and the US $ are almost equal, we should see more US classic cars here in Oz.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Well I think half you guys are getting too old.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:22 AM
91DRM
Team Owner

Received 329 Likes on 229 Posts

Several on YT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6C8RXKebDg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adGciYFZV_E
Old 10-10-2010, 09:57 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,591 Likes on 823 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The Lexus hybrid in the first link is identical to my car. Could even BE my car depending on where the video was shot. I can tell you that the alarm in that car is not particularly sensitive to external noises/vibrations so setting it off was quite a feat

-- Steve
Old 10-10-2010, 10:49 AM
63 corvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike7061
I drive my cars (currently running are 3 vettes, 2 porsches and 2 old novas) all the time and enjoy the hell out of them, who cares what they are worth as long as I can afford them. This thread is full of so called facts (opinions) that only time will prove true or not. The only thing I know for sure and will demonstrate to anyone anytime is that my 67 with a 540 and 4 inch side-pipes will set off car alarms (PM me and come to NJ and I will prove it). I do it every time I drive it to work (which is on many decent days) and go through the parking lot. Everyone young and old loves the car and I give RIDES to any that want one. I am 57 and have loved cars all my life and will until I die. I am not wealthy but have done OK. I don't believe that I am the norm but there are a lot like me around as I see them every time I go to any car event (races, shows, cruises etc.). I live in northern NJ and commute to work 5 days a week (60 miles each way). It is a much better drive in one of the old performance cars (weather permitting) than using one of the newer cars/trucks. Well, that's the longest post I ever wrote and JMHO but I am wide awake and in front of the computer so WTH. Enjoy your rides and remember the wheels are round so they can roll.

Be good or don't get caught!
G
You are the man! Bob
Old 10-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Nicola
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

interesting thread, but missing $0.02...$0.01 There will always be a following for the 2 seater sports car just something that everybody car person can identify with no matter what generation.
+ $0.01...I believe the P/G cars will no longer be "the black sheep" they used to be and of course I am "jaded" but would not trade mine for a 4 speed...too old, too tall, too fat...LOL
Old 10-10-2010, 03:14 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Well I think half you guys are getting too old. I'm 47 and have desired a C2 all my life. No I don't remember them driving around when I was a kid because I was too young. I like them because I think they are one of the coolest, classiest muscle/sports cars ever built, period. All of my friends think the same way and we will be buying and selling cars for the next 15+ years I'm sure. Hopefully we'll be getting some great deals from you old farts who won't think they are worth anything.........haha.
Well I resemble that remark. I guess I've owned my 63 almost as long as you've been alive! I'll be 70 in February, and I am far from the oldest driver in my race group, so call me back in 15+ years and see what kind of great deal you can get it for...........if you're still around
Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM
60SnSC68
Advanced

Originally Posted by sub006
I used to think that young people on the other side of the world would hve zero exposure and thus zero interest in '50s and '60s American cars. But then I remembered that our #1 export is culture: TV shows, movies, video games and music. So young people everywhere DO see our cars, and some will want them as badly as we did back in the day.

These cars are now icons, Their exposure is not only on the road, (which is minimal), but embedded in movies, commercials, magazine ads, etc.

The most used probably the C1 painted Roman Red w/ White Coves, not that I'm prejudiced or anything like that!!!

Steve
Old 10-10-2010, 04:25 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicola
interesting thread, but missing $0.02...$0.01 There will always be a following for the 2 seater sports car just something that everybody car person can identify with no matter what generation.
+ $0.01...I believe the P/G cars will no longer be "the black sheep" they used to be and of course I am "jaded" but would not trade mine for a 4 speed...too old, too tall, too fat...LOL
I also resemble your statement and I'll keep my P/G too!!! Too old, too tall, but not too fat for a four speed. (6'4"-210 lbs.) My '65 coupe is just a "cruiser" with the 300 hp, p/g, p/s, p/b, k/o wheels. My right arm gets enough exercise with my other two 6-speed Corvettes.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:33 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9
That's a dead end car ( 64 auto conv ) and don't waste your time on one . Top flight means nothing if it's a 1968 6 banger mustang coupe .
I'm afraid I have to say with you!!
Old 10-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Rock0324
Racer

OMG, I am one e-mail or phone call away from committing to a 66 327 350HP sunfire yellow vert. Very clean in and out as well as underneith . Rebuilt tranny (within the last year) plus lots of other new and rebuilt correct dated parts. Numbers matching. Interior looks like new, paint 9.0 out of 10. The current owner has owned it since March and paid 50K plus the $1400 to rebuild the tranny. We are at $38,500. He is about to lose his job. Only issue I can see is Tach does not work and one headlight did not go up. After reading some of these posts, am I overpaying?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:00 PM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Hard to say, it depends on a lot of factors. Birdcage, frame, undercarrage, interior, etc. I hope you have seen LOTS of pictures and have had many lenghty conversations with the current owner. If not, stop right here until you do. If everthing seems o.k. then go for it, the price seems right in the ballpark. For me and my '65 coupe it would take somewhere in the low to mid $50k, but thats me and my car. Good luck on any decision you make on a mid-year!!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Cars are the greatest waste of money known to mankind. Christ I love doing it though ! Stewy
Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
Cars are the greatest waste of money known to mankind. Christ I love doing it though ! Stewy
ROTFLMFAO, AMEN
Old 10-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Rustman
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
I don't know if cars are the greatest, I thought boats held that title.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the C1 & C2 market recover

Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Tintin
The children of a hobbyist do not reflect the views of the majority of their peers even though we would like to believe otherwise. Anyone familiar with this statistic?
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...umentid=656470

If 92 % of the car buying public is driving an automatic, how many buyers in the youth demographic will even be able to test out your car as a potential buyer? Dan Hampton brought up the Model T. I have driven one and I doubt that many of you could without serious instruction as I had from the ancient owner. All I can say is that it is good thing those cars can barely make 50 MPH as it is a completely unnatural exercise for the modern driver.
That's a very insightful point, perhaps the paddle-shifter will be the death-knell to the value of our cars. Maybe the automatic Corvettes will end up being the better investment than the standard ones? Oh well, if the prices completely crash in the next 20 years, maybe I'll be able to afford to buy a couple more!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustman
I don't know if cars are the greatest, I thought boats held that title.
Ok, true, most especially wooden ChrisCrafts from the 30s thru the mid 60s.

I'd sell everything I own to buy and retire living on an old 1954 53' ChrisCraft Conqueror. Oh man what I wouldn't give, but the costs, ouch
Old 10-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 57Vette
Ok, true, most especially wooden ChrisCrafts from the 30s thru the mid 60s.

I'd sell everything I own to buy and retire living on an old 1954 53' ChrisCraft Conqueror. Oh man what I wouldn't give, but the costs, ouch
Oh yeah bummer I forgot about the other thousands of dollars I spend on my boat. The worst thing about the cost of a boat is the crappy resale. Man I have taken a couple of hits on the new stuff !
Hey I'll drive the fly bridge while you pull in the Black Marlin ! Stewy

Quick Reply: Will the C1 & C2 market recover