C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette vs Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
you missed one........

Wally, I can always count on you.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
As many of the regs know, I have a '65 GT fastback that I've owned for about 10 years. All original and unmolested sheet metal, including the floors, one of the very first GT's off the line from the Metuchen NJ plant.
I absolutely love that old car, of all the cars that I've owned it's the one that I hope I never have to sell. It's a blast to drive, light, agile, peppy rock solid with no rattles or squeaks. I also love the way it looks, clean and uncluttered, they nailed it.
It was obviously never intended to be a competitor with the much more expensive Vette (except maybe on the track ), but I can't imagine that you could have made a better choice for the buck back in '65.

Paul

Paul

Your '65 GT Fastback is Amazing.

Bruce
Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by StingU2
Paul

Your '65 GT Fastback is Amazing.

Bruce
Yeah, it's a Beauty, eh?
Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Glasshole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I don't think the Mustang is even close to being in the same category as the Corvettes from just about any angle (styling, handling, etc.) and I doubt too many Vettes were looking at Mustang tailights. Mustangs can be compared to Camaros, Challengers, Amx's, etc.

Last edited by Glasshole; 10-01-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sales were on the table 1000,000 cars in 1 1/2 years is not to be snickered about. People were nutz over these things. Yes it's not a Corvette but christ they are a cheap fun car to have. Stewy
Old 10-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Glasshole
Burning Brakes

Exactly, they were cheap and affordable to the masses. They also sold a lot of Pintos and Vegas except they didn't have V-8's from the factories. Every stang I have driven has felt cheap and rattley.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:31 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

My impression is that a higher PERCENTAGE of '67-'69 Camaros have survived than '64-'68 Mustangs. Just because there are more Chevy people than Ford people, and each group remains true when seeking an old ponycar.

Corvettes were always considered special right from new, especially back when sales were only 10-20,000 per year. Most were pampered, and restorations caught on early, so a higher percentage have survived or been resurrected.

On the other hand I do think a higher percentage of Shelby Mustangs have survived than Corvettes for the same reasons. They were MUCH more rare, and therefore prized. The average '65-'66 Shelby seems to bring significantly more at auction than the average Sting Ray of the same years.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 PM
BK N 66
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default mustangs vs corvettes

if you ever go to a Good Guys car show and walk around in the
for sale corral there are always hundreds of mustangs and camaros for sale?? it seems like everyone has a mustang or camaro for sales??
They made thousands and thousands of mustangs and camaros.

you might see only 15 or 20 corvettes for sale. So that tells me
right off the bat that corvettes are worth more than any camaro or mustang. its all about supply and demand. looks like the demand for corvettes are high and the demand for mustangs and camaros are low?

just my opinion.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The average Mustang had lots of design issues unless steps were taken...they were notorious for bump steer and rear wheel hop....lots of the 'old schoolers' ran 'shackles' on the rear springs in the early years to help with the hopping around...then Ford got smart and staggered the shocks (e.g. Boss 302s). If driven to excess without proper bracing (export brace and Monte Carlo bar) the front shock towers would collapse inward and be a danger. Savvy owners lowered their upper control arms 1" which made the front end geometry and cornering tons better (a mod Shelby came up with on the early '65s ... car #252 and lower). A drive shaft safety loop was also a good idea if the car was raced. Racers often put 351 heads on the car to help it 'breathe' and if the right heads were used it was a 50hp-70hp bolt on mod...particularly the D00E 351W heads. Larger valves and smaller combustion chambers.

The rear trunk floor is really the top of the gas tank and more than one owner threw something sharp in the trunk and had raw gas and vapors leaking in a confined space as a result. The cowl vent design was horrible and a mixture of leaves, pine straw, what-have-you collecting in there would cause the cowl vent 'top hats' to rust out ... a MAJOR repair. Those fancy vents on the fastback sides are SUPPOSED to have a 1" drain tube coming out the bottom on the inside and they were often lost or never replaced during restoration. ANOTHER major cause of rust.

A high school friend of mine had a souped up '66 and his gorgeous cheerleader girlfriend used to ride shotgun with her bare right foot stuck in that slick 'box' vent under the right side dash to catch the breeze. Fella got T-boned and that heater/vent box closed right up and amputated her foot.

I do love them still and wish I still had mine....much easier cars to do most things on than my C1. I can put a dash pad in a '65/'66 Mustang in a morning ... it took two days on my '61 vette. Carpet is a snap in the Mustang coupes/convertibles (fastback is tougher having the fold down seat portions).

I had 3 '60s Camaros too and they had their own problems...particularly the Rally Sports with those blasted hide-away headlights. Lots of tweaking needed when they broke. Anyway, all said and done my C1 turns more heads than any of my Mustangs ever did.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-02-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Jay Leno has a few cars ! If you ever get to meet him ask him which car he prefers to drive over all his cars ! (65 fastback Mustang ) Funny thing ah ! Any way all I'm saying is they are heaps of fun, great to chuck around, go like a scalded cat so what more do you want ! Stewy
Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 PM
bluester
Instructor

Default Survival of the fittest

Originally Posted by robert miller
I am thinking you are corret on both parts. But on the last If you do the law of numbers much higher% of Mustangs will be gone from rust and wrecks than the vette. Plus more guys that had vette just took better care of them than guys with the Mustangs..
Corvettes vs. Mustangs isn't really a good gauge, Camaro vs. Mustang is. And I believe vintage Camaros outnumber Mustangs at least 3 to 1.
They don't call them rust -stangs for nothing.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:03 PM
vettedreamer50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to have one of each in my garage. Despite all its shortcomings (like vettes dont have any?) its a classic American car, and was affordable. Both of my older brothers had '65's when they were in high school, and we were not rich by any means. I wish Detroit could come up with a car like that again.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettedreamer50
I would love to have one of each in my garage. Despite all its shortcomings (like vettes dont have any?) its a classic American car, and was affordable. Both of my older brothers had '65's when they were in high school, and we were not rich by any means. I wish Detroit could come up with a car like that again.
I have one of each love them both. Although I really think the new SS Camaro is a very stylish car. I am supprised to see so many new Mustangs on the road compared to the new Camaro ? Stewy
Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 PM
bluester
Instructor

Default Different as night N day

Originally Posted by futura
Like Corvettes, condition, originality and documentation can influence values. Owned these 67's forever, 390 and 396 cars that are as different as night and day.

Yea, I remember the magazine tests 15.2 e.t. for the 390 GTA Mustang, 14.6 e.t. for base SS396 Camaro. I used to make 390 Mustangs look stupid with my SS 350 Camaro!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:39 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by bluester
Yea, I remember the magazine tests 15.2 e.t. for the 390 GTA Mustang, 14.6 e.t. for base SS396 Camaro. I used to make 390 Mustangs look stupid with my SS 350 Camaro!
Yeah, I remember those days. I used to make 396 Camaros, Novas and Chevelles look STUPID in my 327 Chevy II.

Now what do you think about that!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I think V-8 Chevy IIs/Novas from '62 (swaps) through '67 are THE most overlooked muscle cars ever. Forget small-block Mustangs, these timid-looking little shoeboxes collected plenty of GTO and Road Runner pink slips!

It's all about ppwer-to-weight ratio. And the "heart of a lion", the hi-po small block Chevrolet V-8.

Quick Reply: Corvette vs Mustang