C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

hydraulic clutch and master cylinder source

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Default hydraulic clutch and master cylinder source

I asked around and there were several options for a hydraulic clutch and master cylinder. I found one that I think will be fairly easy to install. I figure I have enough challenges ahead of me, one less would be a good thing.

I found it on several sites ranging in price from $649 to $549, so it pays to shop around.

Here is the kit that I am using in my 63SWC project with T-56 tied to a LS7. They also offer a billet reservoir that I ordered as well.

Here is where I got it from but there are several that offer it:

ProFormance Powertrain
2199 Summerfield Road
Cookeville, TN 38506 USA
Phone: (931) 646-4836

If anyone is looking for a hydraulic clutch and master cylinder combo, this might be the ticket in terms of ease. Certainly not inexpensive, but I guess that is the trade off. I should have it sometime next week.

Hydramax™ Hydraulic clutch kit – the easiest way to add hydraulics to your car.

Concentric Slave Bearing: Slip-on hydraulic release bearing with auxiliary bleeder line for easy bleeding. Adjustable for use with all clutch and flywheel combinations. (External slave also available. Call for more info.)
Hydramax™ Master Cylinder Kit: Patent pending adjustable Hydramax bracket mimics original clutch rod angle for perfectly linear actuation. This unique design includes an integrated pedal stop, 90-degree adjustability, and a durable nickel finish. The master cylinder is low profile and volume matched to the slave to protect seals.
Pedal Push Rod Kit: Fully adjustable pedal pushrod is model specific for length and features a heim joint with a lifetime carbon fiber bearing and stainless construction. Works with OE and aftermarket pedals.
Flexible Reservoir Kit: Provides for easy remote or local mounting of the reservoir. All lines, seals and fittings included.
Steel Braided Line: Teflon lined steel braided stainless line dissipates heat and can be easily routed around headers and other components.
Hardware and Fittings: Everything you need to complete your installation with no trips to your local parts store.
Installation instructions: Easy to understand, detailed instructions with every kit!

link for kit:
http://www.proformancepowertrain.com...product=300498

link for billet reservoir: http://www.proformancepowertrain.com...product=720526
Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very interesting. If it was about half the price I think they would sell a lot of them.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:49 PM
kvancleave
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response. Will definitely look into this option.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:22 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I have quite a bit of experience with hydraulic systems from McLeod and Ram on Mustangs. Keep this in mind...a hydraulic TB that is inside of the bell housing needs a silicone rubber accordion style boot to protect the piston from picking up dust and debris from the clutch disc. I've had several McLeod set ups and 2 Ram set ups and so has my son. None lasted more than a couple of thousand miles and when they fail, sometimes they just plain puke everything out and the pedal hits the floor.

I have since installed a Mcleod twin disc clutch and went back to a stock style slave cylinder with the accordion boot without a problem since. So has my son. These aftermarket systems were very expensive and I even rebuilt the cylinders myself very carefully and still had quick failures.

Edit...if you could find one that mounts outside of the bell housing like some late model pickup trucks use with a regular domed dust boot I believe I would trust that. The other problem with the ones inside the bell housing is they get very hot and this is believed to cause failures by some due to heat expansion. I tend to agree with that because the o-ring seals visibly tear and drag along the piston with evidence they were smashed or crushed.

I've used this style> https://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/hydraulics.html

And this style> http://www.ramclutches.com/streethydraulics.html

I will say that a quick search on the Hydromax system shows it has some pretty good reviews

Last edited by ILBMF; 03-31-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:12 AM
kvancleave
8th Gear

Default Hydraulic Throw out Bearing

Originally Posted by ILBMF
I have quite a bit of experience with hydraulic systems from McLeod and Ram on Mustangs. Keep this in mind...a hydraulic TB that is inside of the bell housing needs a silicone rubber accordion style boot to protect the piston from picking up dust and debris from the clutch disc. I've had several McLeod set ups and 2 Ram set ups and so has my son. None lasted more than a couple of thousand miles and when they fail, sometimes they just plain puke everything out and the pedal hits the floor.

I have since installed a Mcleod twin disc clutch and went back to a stock style slave cylinder with the accordion boot without a problem since. So has my son. These aftermarket systems were very expensive and I even rebuilt the cylinders myself very carefully and still had quick failures.

Edit...if you could find one that mounts outside of the bell housing like some late model pickup trucks use with a regular domed dust boot I believe I would trust that. The other problem with the ones inside the bell housing is they get very hot and this is believed to cause failures by some due to heat expansion. I tend to agree with that because the o-ring seals visibly tear and drag along the piston with evidence they were smashed or crushed.

I've used this style> https://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/hydraulics.html

And this style> http://www.ramclutches.com/streethydraulics.html

I will say that a quick search on the Hydromax system shows it has some pretty good reviews
Thanks for the additional information. One of the mechanics I have been discussing this with also was very clear about the boot cover.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:13 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 836 Likes on 456 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

If your T-56 will support an external hydraulic slave cylinder you can install one at a relative low cost. I have a T-56 from a 1994 Camaro in our '62, used a master cylinder from a 1984 Corvette and a CNC model 711 cylinder for the slave. Total cost less than $200.
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2016, 12:24 PM
kvancleave
8th Gear

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
If your T-56 will support an external hydraulic slave cylinder you can install one at a relative low cost. I have a T-56 from a 1994 Camaro in our '62, used a master cylinder from a 1984 Corvette and a CNC model 711 cylinder for the slave. Total cost less than $200.
Thanks, nice look by the way. I stayed with an internal slave from a Camaro, and went ahead and purchased the pedal assembly and master from Proformancepowertrain.....very nice folks to talk to about your needs.

Ken

Get notified of new replies

To hydraulic clutch and master cylinder source

Quick Reply: hydraulic clutch and master cylinder source