C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62-72 GM Delivery Data Available

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:08 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 262 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Default 62-72 GM Delivery Data Available

This may be old news to some of you but thought it might be a bit of info missed by some Forum members that would be interested. Following is an e-mail from NCRS.

Now available to all NCRS Members - GM 1962-1972 Corvette Delivery Data.

With permission granted to NCRS by the General Motors Heritage Center, we can now offer information contained in 1962-1972 (some limited 1973-1974 data) the Corvette Month Car Shipped Reports (dealer code, dealer name & production date). For more information go to the NCRS web site (NCRS.org) just below the NCRS Mission statement.

The request form and the new website (www.ncrs.org/services.html ) will be available October 1 to accept orders.

More detailed information about this new service will be available later .

Marilyn Heitzman
Region II Director
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM
amtronic1
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So the NCRS has this information, and will only let members see it? That is pure dog-in-the-manger behavior. If they were to provide this as a service to all, as an introduction to the organization, I would consider it a very gracious act and be a lot more likely to become a member. But the "Oh no, only WE get to see the info" attitude insults all the Corvette owners outside the privileged few. It just pushes me farther away from ever becoming a member.
So go ahead, sit on my information and argue over trim tab fonts.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder how NCRS got exclusive rights to this data?
Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 AM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 262 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

I personally don't have any further information. I'm not a member of NCRS myself and this info was forwarded to me by a relative. I was wondering the same thing about how they obtained the rights to disperse the data.($$$$$$??) Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was trying to keep an open mind about NCRS. This isn't helping. GM gets equal blame.

Last edited by Vogie; 09-15-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I disagree

Originally Posted by amtronic1
So the NCRS has this information, and will only let members see it? That is pure dog-in-the-manger behavior. If they were to provide this as a service to all, as an introduction to the organization, I would consider it a very gracious act and be a lot more likely to become a member. But the "Oh no, only WE get to see the info" attitude insults all the Corvette owners outside the privileged few. It just pushes me farther away from ever becoming a member.
So go ahead, sit on my information and argue over trim tab fonts.
I disagree with amtronic1 on his view of how the NCRS is handling expose of the GM information to members only. The members of NCRS pay dues and these dues were probably used to help obtain access to the GM information. This is info the hobby has been trying to get for many years and NCRS members have probably spend many, many hours working on this project. We also have no idea what is involved (how much time & money) in processing the request for information on a specific VIN.
In the interest of full exposure, I’m a member of NCRS but I’m hardly an active member. I belong because they offer insight and information that is hard to come by any other way. While I don’t agree with everything they do or how some people have been treated when they attend a NCRS event, I think they do more to promote the restoration and preservation of the classic Corvettes than any other organization.
Just my $.02
Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Vogie
Drifting

From a marketing perspective, I believe the NCRS is being short sighted. It is doubtfull that they will draw many more members by keeping information of interest so closely held. I would think they would offer the information to non-members for a charge to generate income and, potentially, interest in owners in restoration hence membership.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee H
Wonder how NCRS got exclusive rights to this data?
No doubt they had to pay for it. GM Canada has the same information plus more for all GM's delivered new in Canada. If you want the info on your specific car, you send the money to GM Canada.
As any Mustang guy knows, Kevin Marti is the source of '67 and later Mustang info. Guess what, he bought the data from Ford, if you want it for your car, you buy it from him.
Ain't no free rides boys.

Paul
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM
66since71
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not an NCRS member, but agree with Vettejohn and Fawnduece on this one. If NCRS obtained the information with NCRS member support ($) then distribution of the information to members only is appropriate. If someone else wants it, go see GM...

Harry
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Vogie
From a marketing perspective, I believe the NCRS is being short sighted. It is doubtfull that they will draw many more members by keeping information of interest so closely held. I would think they would offer the information to non-members for a charge to generate income and, potentially, interest in owners in restoration hence membership.

Excellent point. You hit on what I thought would be the correct idea. If they want to promote their organization to prospective members they could go a long way by simply saying "anyone can apply for this information but if you aren't an NCRS member it will cost you a fee." I don't join organizations on a regular basis. I am so far out in the sticks that the NCRS chapter closest to me would be over 150 miles away. I find that I can get the critical information that I need about our cars from this forum and others on the internet. To simply join the NCRS to get this information is not realistic in my view. I am never going to take my car back to NCRS standards so with the lack of any members or a chapter near me it seems a waste just to receive their newsletters, etc. JMO
Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
365GTB4
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was the director and treasurer of a large car club for a few years and it's like herding cats. Most people are clueless to the actual cost of running a club. The publications costs alone run in the tens of thousands a month. I just looked at the NCRS annual dues of $35 a year which is quite cheap. I suspect they would love to give the information away but like most clubs they are always struggling to make ends meet. Sell the info or join the club is an intelligent economic decision. $35 is a great price for the information they provide. I may join even though I won't attend a meeting or go to a meet.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:59 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

I continue to be amazed by the "entitlement attitude" in some of the previous posts, which turns into another NCRS-bashing thread. NCRS members spent two years working with and negotiating with the GM Heritage Center to dig out, decode, organize, and convert thousands of pieces of paper and microfiche information into digital format so it can be used; why should they give it away to anyone for nothing?

It's NOT option information (which nobody has) - it's the name and address of the dealer to whom the car was originally delivered, and the production date, from Chevrolet shipping records, for $40.00.

If you want that information and don't have it, you need to join to get it; if you don't want it, don't worry about it. Sheesh.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Well said John.

It amazes me how much energy people spend dispariging groups that they aren't a part of.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Ernie67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not proud, I intend to join only to be able to obtain the information!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

The $35 annual membership cost for the NCRS is a great value even if only to receive the Restorer, the Driveline, and access to the Technical Discussion Boards (with ten years of archives). Even if you never get your car judged or go to a meet. That is, if you are into stock type restorations. And if you are not, this data is of probably no interest to you.

I think the $40 user pay charge for this information is also more than fair, it probably only covers the NCRS' costs for researching and securing the data and generating the letter (on NCRS letterhead) providing the information to the requesting party.

I don't see anything elitist about an organization that will allow anyone (except Roy ) to be a member for $35.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:34 PM
petervs
Advanced

Any chance of pre 1962 becoming available? Does anybody know how to get a list of Chevy dealers that existed at a given date? Pretty sure my cars always been a local one (New York area). Might be a way to track down some additional information on our cars.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Ernie67
Instructor

Originally Posted by petervs
Any chance of pre 1962 becoming available? Does anybody know how to get a list of Chevy dealers that existed at a given date? Pretty sure my cars always been a local one (New York area). Might be a way to track down some additional information on our cars.
I have been keeping a list of all known black 67 corvettes and the dealer's of where they were sold, I know in the new York area selling vettes was Krieger Chevrolet Olds, Dealer #02297, in Woodridge NY, I know there had to be many many more.

Get notified of new replies

To 62-72 GM Delivery Data Available

Old 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
shooter1951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I continue to be amazed by the "entitlement attitude" in some of the previous posts, which turns into another NCRS-bashing thread. NCRS members spent two years working with and negotiating with the GM Heritage Center to dig out, decode, organize, and convert thousands of pieces of paper and microfiche information into digital format so it can be used; why should they give it away to anyone for nothing?

It's NOT option information (which nobody has) - it's the name and address of the dealer to whom the car was originally delivered, and the production date, from Chevrolet shipping records, for $40.00.

If you want that information and don't have it, you need to join to get it; if you don't want it, don't worry about it. Sheesh.
It is amazing/laughable, that almost EVERYTIME the NCRS is mentioned in whatever form here on the CF it becomes open season for the NCRS haters/nutcases to start their NCRS ragging.. Get a grip guys.......................there's a lot more problems in the world. It's not a club you are forced to join. Don't like it.......don't join......or be critical of those of us that do. Ask yourself........what would the majority of us do if we spent the time, effort and money on this project?? Would you try to recoup some of your expense? Any SENSIBLE person would.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:10 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by petervs
Does anybody know how to get a list of Chevy dealers that existed at a given date? Pretty sure my cars always been a local one (New York area). Might be a way to track down some additional information on our cars.
That info. is available on the NCRS TDB for FREE, if you're a member. Become a member and enjoy the many benefits.

Jim
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Steve439
Le Mans Master

This motivated me to join.

Quick Reply: 62-72 GM Delivery Data Available