C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Stainless exhaust - for my C1

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:34 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Geez...is there a full moon right now or something ? Maybe its the economy.

Between this and the "Leaving NCRS" thread I think I'm taking a break from the forum for a while.
In the words of the late John Bulushi - "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily". And I already have
Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Mark Lovejoy

Don't waste your money, the aluminized system will out live you.
If you drive your car each time it's started far enough to get the exhaust system thoroughly hot, even plain carbon steel pipes will last an astonishing length of time.

My '60 has carbon steel pipes and mufflers that have been on it for 31 years.

Two years ago, I removed the original 54 year old exhaust pipes from my '54 Vette.

The "secret" to this longevity is I always get the exhaust systems on my cars hot.

So, aluminized pipes will likely last forever (in our human context) if you treat them well.

Jim
Old 08-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Factory stainless {aftermarket} systems mirror the OE systems and sizes. And to expect that you will get more performance simply by purchasing a stainless exhaust system is not correct. You would have to have it custom built by yourself or at a muffler shop that specializes and can bend a oversize system as stock systems are mostly comprised of 2" exhaust pipes and 1 7/8 tail pipes.....The average wholesale price for a 10' foot stick is 80 bucks for 2 1/2 stainless....One *** up and that 10' stick could be history....you cannot re-bend a bend.....

We have sold and installed C1 systems from 'Stainless Works and if they expanded I would know from customer complaints as they are not cheap and no one wants to spend money for problems.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Poorhousenext
Melting Slicks

Received 644 Likes on 331 Posts

The only performance advantage stainless exhaust system has over steel is the fact that it does retain heat better than steel.

Exhaust flow slows as it cools. That is an Engineering fact too. Stainless's heat retentions helps slow that cooling down, thus providing better exhaust flow.

If you can fit a well made X-pipe, it will provide a performance improvement a crossover pipe can only dream about. Key is how it's made.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I have stainless steel on my 60 because it polishes very nice.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:31 AM
mickatbp
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks guys, I enjoyed reading the replies even though for a mpment I had forgotten what the original question was............... BRING BACK THE BIFF.........I say.
Seems there is a lot of passion about exhaust systems. Thanks for all your opinions. Any more word on a good prefab supplier?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Seems like whenever someone has PERSONAL experience with something (no matter what it is), someone else has to dispute it 'til their dying breath.
I USED to have a FULL stainless system on the 56. Finally got rid of it (sure hated to get rid of an expensive ex system) and had my muffler shop fabricate a complete 2 1/2in aluminized system for the 56.
I'm sorry, but I have to concur with Jim.

Oh ya, and in case anyone needs a (stock) SS system for a 56-57 that has front pipes for 2 1/2in manifolds, I passed it on to Bill Herron many years ago. I saw him last month at the SACC Natls and he still has it up in his loft.

Tom Parsons

Last edited by DZAUTO; 08-27-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 PM
abe g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ON MY 63 swc, replaced with stainless pipes about 15 years ago (from Corvette America) Replaced rusted out system and very satisfied. As mentioned watch clearance around hanger, clamps and body (frame) points. With stainless clamps, no rust or any complaints! Other than slight color discoloration. Guaranteed to outlast aluminezd or other metals! regards, Abe G
Old 08-27-2010, 01:06 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Seems like whenever someone has PERSONAL experience with something (no matter what it is), someone else has to dispute it 'til their dying breath.
No, the problems are blanket statements that are incorrect.

i.e. Stainless exhausts expand too much. Meaning ALL stainless exhausts expand too much.

What happens is someone notices their exhaust expands too much, they look around, decide it must be the material used expands more than another material and jump to an unwarranted conclusion that that material is unsuitable, without considering other factors like improper bending methods for that material

i.e. Chrome air cleaner burn hoods. Meaning ALL chrome air cleaners burn hoods.

Someone burns their hood with a chrome air cleaner, therefore conclude all chrome air cleaner are bad, without looking further as to what shapes of air cleaners burn hoods vs air cleaners that don't.

I think 3/4 of the population has no understanding of science,and simply repeats whatever BS grand dad or cousin Ernie told them, without ever verifying if it is true, and even possible; and if they do have personal experience, the extrapolate an incorrect conclusion as to why something is happening, because they don't have the background to find the real cause, and will argue that the engineers really don't know what is going on,and have no clue what they are doing.

So I guess you better not cross any bridges or go into any tall buildings, because of all those engineers why designed them have no idea about how things really work, and they should have listened to the ditch digger about how to build a 100 story skyscraper to be built correctly.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 08-27-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:08 PM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
No, the problems are blanket statements that are incorrect.

So I guess you better not cross any bridges or go into any tall buildings, because of all those engineers why designed them have no idea about how things really work, and they should have listened to the ditch digger about how to build a 100 story skyscraper to be built correctly.

Doug
Just as long as the bridge isn't "Galloping Gerdy" or the Kansas City Hyatt Skybridge!

Sorry Doug, couldn't help myself.
You are absolutely correct though. What looks to be "obvious" is often only "anecdotal". Just like its "obvious" that the sun revolves around the earth!
Take poorly made bends with hangers that become pivot points and I can easily see how that "inch" could be explained without blaming it on the expansion rate of the metallurgy.
Nice to see a fellow power guy.
50 MW? Coal or gas fired? With that pressure I'm guessing fluidized bed coal? Or was it a dirt burner?
I've worked for the past 18 yrs at two 85 MW gas fired aero derivative combined cycle plants. We only make 950 deg/870 lb steam from the HRSG's though.
Anyone who has worked in the power industry as an engineer for any length of time has seen their fill of just about every grade of stainless there is under substantially more demanding conditions with incredibly smaller tolerances for error than any automotive exhaust on the planet.
I think I'd defer to Doug's expertise on this one if I were you guys.

DT
Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 PM
mrruffhouser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the post also asked about the exhaust sound. It's my opinion that the sound from aluminized steel pipes has a mellower more pleasing tone. I have known owners who have gone to stainless pipes and have been unhappy with the sound produced. My $.02
Old 08-27-2010, 04:48 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Whatever if it shrinks or grows with temperature I can gurantee you will have a problem clamping the slip joints.

I'm an engineer and I don't look in any freakin books anymore. (retired)

Quick Reply: Stainless exhaust - for my C1