C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leaving NCRS

Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Here's an exact quote from the Sixth Edition of the JRM: ".....................owners prematurely removing cars from the judging field will nullify any award received and result in a 13 month suspension of the owner from any NCRS judging process".

Roy's complaint is NOT about the suspension, but about being banned from the Technical Discussion Board.

Is participation in the Discussion Board a part of the "judging process". OKAY, some nit picker, lawyer type will say that it is, if you are responding to a question. But how about lurking. Just being able to log on and watch. Roy cannot do this as his logon is locked out. Same as any non-dues paying non-members.

Was the wording changed or updated in the latest edition? Somebody please explain. I agree with the "rules are rules" mentality, but in Roy's case, it seems that they went beyond "throwing the book at him".

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 08-25-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: add highlight
Old 08-25-2010, 02:58 PM
1966 L72
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Randy G.
NCRS bashing again? Hmmm.

It's not a car club. If you need to be stroked go to the local massage parlor.

I for one am glad to be a member. If it wasn't for this watch dog group there would be a million "original" mid year big block rare black with red stinger fully loaded Vettes floating around. If originality is your passion then join up. If you don't give a rats *** about originality then stay away. But don't come on here and unload on them just because you don't want overspray or certain head bolt markings or whatever. I find the people who bash the NCRS and say they are too **** are the same ones who don't want to put the time or effort into their cars to make them "correct." That's fine if they don't want to do it. Just don't ask the NCRS to dumb down the criteria so your car might get a few more points for being wrong.

Rules are rules and Roy left. He knew the rules on the way out. Just because what's her name gets away with just a few days in jail and a couple weeks in rehab for good behaviour doesn't mean Roy should have his time card doctored, too. However, I will offer to split his penalty and take 7.5 months of his jail time in exchange for information when I need it.

RG
Randy,

Just so I understand, the NCRS does not want members that are not concerned about originality? Or is that just your position?

LT
Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 PM
1966 L72
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
On this site? You're right. Roy's knowledge is hard to match. The other dozens/hundreds of knowledgeable people on 53-55 that I've met via the NCRS don't come here.

I wonder why?
Mike,

Why is it that when the crap you stirred up settles you stir up some more. You are not helping NCRS with the attitude you are displaying. Yes, I am member.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 PM
esjbh2
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey 182,

Just to let you know that there are many NCRS members that support you in this, myself included as evidenced by a thread on TDB which you probably can't see now. NCRS banning you from judging is no problem, it is what it is and that part of the rules is clear. Anything more is excessive. You are a valued contributor to NCRS and especially the TDB. Hopefully this will be resolved in some sensible and non-excessive manner.

Jack #33879
Old 08-25-2010, 04:15 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

NCRS member since 1990. Also an early member of SACE that Roy started. Now also a member of SACC. I have met Roy and have bought parts from him. I visit both the NCRS discussion board and the Corvette forum. I found the technical information available from the Restorer and the discussion board very helpful in restoring my '57 and 61.
Yes, I have been to some NCRS Regional and National meets where I observed some arrogance from some of the long time members. Some of the NCRS rules seemed a little nitpicky but I assumed there was a reason for them. After 4 years in the US Navy I knew what real nitpicky rules were. Most of the NCRS members are good people and not worthy of the bashing that has gone on this thread.
I tend to ignore the "politics" of any organization and value it for the information and the friendships that I find.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:46 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Originally Posted by esjbh2
Hey 182,

Just to let you know that there are many NCRS members that support you in this, myself included as evidenced by a thread on TDB which you probably can't see now. NCRS banning you from judging is no problem, it is what it is and that part of the rules is clear. Anything more is excessive. You are a valued contributor to NCRS and especially the TDB. Hopefully this will be resolved in some sensible and non-excessive manner.

Jack #33879
Jack that's my point , I'm OK with being banded from any event ,I drove off when I was told not to OK! But not being able to Apologize as I did at Bend to the person that banded me and to Roy . I cant to members that attended the meet by way of the NCRS forum, I'm just surprised that I also cant use their forum . Like here I dint bad mouth any one or NCRS and would not using their forum .The only part I would mention is that I was wrong and broke the rules and deserved being band from further events for 15 months. (that's it ! No more) Because I cant use their forum I can hear members saying and thinking all kinds of stories right or wrong.

05 was the first time going back to NCRS in over 25 years showing a Corvette. All this talk and wondering what really happened is crazy " I JUST BROKE THE RULES story over!!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wmf62
QUOTE=james Hufford;1575120573]BTW, where is the beat the horse smilie?
alive and well...

[

Bill[/QUOTE]

Thats good!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Roy, if you ever want to use my NCRS account just ask... Though, I quit paying for the yearly subscription dues.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Over 3500+ views in one day...... ? .. This one sure struck a nerve. ! . Rules being rules, getting called on leaving early might be one thing, but the other concurrent penalty (banned from NCRS forum) seems a bit heavy handed, IMO. Also NCRS member.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

There will be no "BEND"ing the rules!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 PM
saraholt61
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing wrong with the NCRS and its intentions but somebody here went overboard and abused his or her authority by banning this guy.The Corvette hobby is not a serious thing in life--it is just a hobby for Gods sake and nothing more,nothing less.The most important things in life are people and their feelings.Someone should call this member and apologize. Just remind him of the rules and thats it-over and out.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 PM
a560156
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
Here's an exact quote from the Sixth Edition of the JRM: ".....................owners prematurely removing cars from the judging field will nullify any award received and result in a 13 month suspension of the owner from any NCRS judging process".

Roy's complaint is NOT about the suspension, but about being banned from the Technical Discussion Board.

Is participation in the Discussion Board a part of the "judging process". OKAY, some nit picker, lawyer type will say that it is, if you are responding to a question. But how about lurking. Just being able to log on and watch. Roy cannot do this as his logon is locked out. Same as any non-dues paying non-members.

Was the wording changed or updated in the latest edition? Somebody please explain. I agree with the "rules are rules" mentality, but in Roy's case, it seems that they went beyond "throwing the book at him".
The JRM is currently being updated with a new version out momentarily.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
out2kayak
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 271 Likes on 129 Posts

Hmm... This sounds like really good motivation material for joining NCRS.

So, let me get this correct. I pay my dues to an organization for many, many years without fail. I contribute my time, knowledge, and efforts to help the orgainzation. I bring my car to their event and, because someone has a burr under their bum I can't use any facilities that I paid to use for over a year.

Yep, sounds excessive to me.

Glad I'm going the resto-mod approach.

-- Joe
Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Steeler
Instructor

Default Ncrs "dead horse" ?

Originally Posted by james Hufford
alive and well...

Bill
Thats good!
Are we saying -
Roy is a ?
The thread is a ?
Or The NCRS is a ?
Or indeed none of the above?
:o
Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 PM
wesmigletz
12.14 w/ the original 327

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
CI 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I'm a former NCRS member, for many of the reasons previously stated. To be honest, the biggest azzhats I've encountered at car shows have been proud, outspoken NCRS members. I'd rather deal with a horde of unsupervised children running circles around my 62, than have a couple of typical, NCRS chest-thumpers looking it over at a local cruise-in. The children will likely be more respectful...

There are many good, knowledgeable, and helpful NCRS members. I have met a few through this forum. Unfortunately, the other 99% give them a bad name.

Of course, the NCRS is not without merit. I want people to continue to preserve original, unmolested Vettes, or to immaculately restore them. That way, my grand children may someday know the joy of cutting-up and racing an umolested, numbers-matching solid axle Corvette.

It's just a matter of time until old Vettes are treated like shoebox Chevies... cut-up and modified to the owners taste, with no real effect on re-sale value, and the Corvette hobby will be better off for it.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Gower
I was going to stay out of this but I cannnot. First let me say I know and like Roy. He is a wealth of knowledge and a nice guy. But that said, he does not follow rules. I was at Bend and witnessed Roy leaving the field. Roy has left several omissions out of his story. I will just list a few. Roy did the exact same thing at the San Jose National last year. He was informed on both occasions that cars were not allowed to leave. He chose to do so regardless with total disgard for the safety of the speculators. Roy had packed up from the swap meet the previous day. He attended the awards banquet that evening four hours after leaving the field. Please understand that the safety of all is the number one priority of the NCRS staff and I hope it will always be. Again, I know and like Roy but we are all accountable for our actions and sometimes must receive corrective direction.
I think your comment of "total disregard for the safety of spectators" is over the top and shows some of the aforementioned NCRS mentality... the NCRS made a mountain out of an ant hill here.. I mean did he wind the car up to 5k and drop the clutch to get out like a bat out of hell?? Did he do a 4 wheel drift pass some spectators?? Come on man get a little more friggin' realistic here.. I'll even take it one step further, did anyone from the NCRS knowing that he was/had to leave make ANY attempt to accomodate him to ensure the saftey of said spectators? I'm willing to bet not.. I think it would be wise to assist those that take their time and money to attend the shows to assist if they have to leave earlier than normal realizing they might have a long drive home.. I mean really without those coming from all over the damn place we could try to accomodate them... It's all about ME(NCRS).. So, like a good man he admited he was wrong but the punishment (banned from the board also) does not in NO way fit the crime here...

And before anyone ask's, I'm a member (2862) and I do judge as much as family commitments (which always come first) allow.. I've enjoyed some really great friendships from the NCRS (and here) but I'll tell you that the "turds" outnumber them significantly.. We'll keep the light on for ya Roy..

/joe

Last edited by joec; 08-25-2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: grammar.. getting old...
Old 08-25-2010, 10:06 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PKguitar
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of NCRS. With that said, I have two comments here:

1. If someone deserved a penalty, and that penalty was waived or reduced due to the fact that someone was a "35 year member", THAT would make me think it was nothing more than an "old boy's club" and strongly discourage me from becoming a new member.

2. As far as people being "sticklers", if people who are "sticklers" for rules and minutia annoy you, and/or you are not at least a little bit of a "stickler" yourself, I would suggest that restoring a car for judging as a hobby is likely not a good match for your personality.
I like the way you think... All this hullabaloo is a symptom of where we are as a country. The rule and the consequence have been in place for many many years.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaving NCRS

Old 08-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by project63
I like the way you think... All this hullabaloo is a symptom of where we are as a country. The rule and the consequence have been in place for many many years.
Just curious??? If it were you, would you be 100% ok with being banned from the NCRS tech board along with your suspension?

If it were me, I would probably be like Roy and be ok with the suspension from judging but....I would feel overly disciplined if I was made to feel like an outcast by a group of folks that I had been associated with (and helped to move the organiztion forward) for many years.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 PM
reedkona
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Roy has had his supporters and critics over the years, but he has always provided a wealth of information here and in the NCRS. His departure diminishes any group. NCRS is a good source of information, but they are purists. Overspray is more important to them than oversteer (or understeer). Some drive, fewer drive them hard. It's a different group, and as any group, it has positives and negatives. Members should take a look at the discussion on this topic there now. As I said, different. I enjoy both forums. Hope Roy continues to contribute when and as he can.
Reed Flickinger (27656)
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 PM
rgs
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack

Finally, someone posted the real question. Is participation in the Discussion Board a part of the judging process and also subject to being banned from?

In my opinion, for what it's worth, I can't see how anyone can justify the additional sanction of banning Roy from the NCRS forum. It is above and beyond the penalty for the infraction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaving NCRS