C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

painting oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Don DeJianne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting oil pan

Oil pan is chipping, I would like to strip it and paint it on the car. What would be the best way to strip it ? Any additional tips are welcome as usual.
Thanks Don
Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Don DeJianne
Oil pan is chipping, I would like to strip it and paint it on the car. What would be the best way to strip it ? Any additional tips are welcome as usual.
Thanks Don
I know of no good way to do this. I would remove the pan, strip, lightly sand, and then primer/paint. You can probably do this in less time than trying to struggle through it on the car.......with you being upside down and directly below the pan. Also overspray will be an issue.

Larry
Old 08-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Don DeJianne
Advanced

Thanks Larry, I just worry about it leaking in the future, I keep reading about guys having problems with the pan leaking?
thanks Don
Old 08-20-2010, 02:59 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I plan on painting the bottom of my engine, and replacing my V shields this winter. My game plan is to get the car up as high as I can on jacks, soak bottom motor with Gunk, apply thick, jel type, paint remover on pan, rinse off with 1500 psi pressure washer......then repeat these steps again. Mask off all around the oil pan, use aluminum foil on such hard to mask parts such as front end components. Spray paint oil pan.......paint the bottom of the motor with Bill Hirsch Chevy orange, and a painting sponge..... replace V shield's. I painted my engine compartment, including the firewall, inner fenders, and the top half of my motor using this method..... lots of newspaper and masking tape, but it came out very nice.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Larry N. Johnson
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
I plan on painting the bottom of my engine, and replacing my V shields this winter. My game plan is to get the car up as high as I can on jacks, soak bottom motor with Gunk, apply thick, jel type, paint remover on pan, rinse off with 1500 psi pressure washer......then repeat these steps again. Mask off all around the oil pan, use aluminum foil on such hard to mask parts such as front end components. Spray paint oil pan.......paint the bottom of the motor with Bill Hirsch Chevy orange, and a painting sponge..... replace V shield's. I painted my engine compartment, including the firewall, inner fenders, and the top half of my motor using this method..... lots of newspaper and masking tape, but it came out very nice.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "V shield"?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry N. Johnson
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "V shield"?
Flash chrome metal covers for the front spark plug wires where they run low on the engine block near the motor mounts. They have a V-shape. Small block engines only.

Your 1965, 396 car will not have.

Larry
Old 08-20-2010, 03:28 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 841 Likes on 579 Posts

Have the pan Powder Coated

jack
Old 08-20-2010, 09:26 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Thanks Don
Don, quite honestly these things are so easy to remove, it is hardly worth the trouble to try to paint it on the car. You will be able to do a far superior job painting it off the car and probably do it in half the time you would otherwise spend taping things up and removing it afterward.

If installed correctly and with a bit of care, there's really no reason it should leak in the future.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 PM
365GTB4
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, remove and powder coat.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
I have seen Gary's work (65 vette dude) using this method and must say it turned out PERFECT!! Just be careful if you use a pressure washer...it can do damage! I use brake cleaner as a degreaser before painting...spray it on and wipe off quickly.

If my pan was not leaking I would hesitate to remove it also
Old 08-21-2010, 01:55 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

On my wife's Camaro I used aviation type paint stripper with a cheap 1" paint brush.Let it soak and then wiped old paint off.Hand sanded the pan with 320grit.Then brake cleaner and degreaser.Mask it before before painting with duplicolor spray.
On my 62 I put a finned aluminum oil pan so that's one issue I don't have anymore.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Don DeJianne
Advanced

Thanks Gen 2, should i prime it first?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 PM
C-1 Generation 2
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks Gen 2, should i prime it first?
I didn't prime mine.I did pull the flywheel dust cover off.

Get notified of new replies

To painting oil pan

Quick Reply: painting oil pan