C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help!! Starter not tunring over...and at work of all places.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Mikey65
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help!! Starter not tunring over...and at work of all places.

Car has been turning over rough for most of the day for the 4-5 times I started it. Once it did nothing, and then started on the second try. Now It won't do anything... no click no nothing.

Is the starter toast? Any tricks to get me home for the day and in the garage?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

Can you describe what you mean when you say 'rough'? Since you're at work and no doubt not going to be crawling under the car right now, all I can suggest is to check connections at the battery and at the solenoid if you can see or reach down in there. By the way, do you have an automatic trans? If so, maybe it's the Neutral Safety Switch which is there to prevent power from going to the starter unless you're in Park or Neutral.
Mike T.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:44 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 832 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyandem1
Car has been turning over rough for most of the day for the 4-5 times I started it. Once it did nothing, and then started on the second try. Now It won't do anything... no click no nothing.

Is the starter toast? Any tricks to get me home for the day and in the garage?
Check these first.
Check battery connection
Check Starter connection
If they are good sometimes a hard rap on the starter with hammer will for some reason work, i did the hammer thing years ago on some car i had because i couldn't afford a starter.
might get you home

jack
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Pop the clutch
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
5thvet
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you check the firewall connector ( infamous red wire connection)?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Put it in gear turn the key to on, roll it down the hill, pop the clutch. It will start.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:52 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Swallow your pride and have several of your co-workers give you a push. Get it rolling and pop the clutch in 3-4 gear with the key on and it oughta' start.

Or maybe you can roll it off a hill?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,748 Likes on 817 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

If this is intermittent, you probably have a flat spot on your starter. As someone said, bang on the starter and see it that works.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
Check these first.
Check battery connection
Check Starter connection
If they are good sometimes a hard rap on the starter with hammer will for some reason work, i did the hammer thing years ago on some car i had because i couldn't afford a starter.
might get you home

jack
Good advise.....use to have to do this with my 55 Nomad. Hammers are worth their weight in gold when you are stuck! Also, may be the connection at the firewall plug if you get nothing at all. I have a separate hot wire that bypasses the plug.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Put it in gear turn the key to on, roll it down the hill, pop the clutch. It will start.
And if that doesn't work, give Paul a call and he will come push you back up the hill!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

It's worth a smack with a hammer. I was stranded on my yellow 66 back in March at the parts house. It was closing time, getting dark, and my starter was killing my battery at every attempt. Kept putting my jump box on, recharging the battery,but never enough to start the car. Tried to get a starter from the parts house I was broke down at. Could have it the next day. Ugh!! My car trailer was at a friends house 1 hour away, parts house shutting down the lights. No way I was going to leave my car there over night. Anyway, got a towel out of the back, my knock off lead hammer, crawled under the car and hit the starter with the lead hammer and started up. Kept her revved all the way home. No way I was going to let it shut off until safely home in the garage.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Garner
It's worth a smack with a hammer. I was stranded on my yellow 66 back in March at the parts house. It was closing time, getting dark, and my starter was killing my battery at every attempt. Kept putting my jump box on, recharging the battery,but never enough to start the car. Tried to get a starter from the parts house I was broke down at. Could have it the next day. Ugh!! My car trailer was at a friends house 1 hour away, parts house shutting down the lights. No way I was going to leave my car there over night. Anyway, got a towel out of the back, my knock off lead hammer, crawled under the car and hit the starter with the lead hammer and started up. Kept her revved all the way home. No way I was going to let it shut off until safely home in the garage.
Yep had to do the same thing one day in the middle of BFE.. Wallopped it with a 8 lb sledge hammer. The motor turned right over after that..

And BTW I'm sure my name was mud the night Jeff was in front of that parts house... since I had his trailer...
Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Jeff Garner
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
Yep had to do the same thing one day in the middle of BFE.. Wallopped it with a 8 lb sledge hammer. The motor turned right over after that..

And BTW I'm sure my name was mud the night Jeff was in front of that parts house... since I had his trailer...
8 lb sledge!!!? You didn't have to crush it like a beer can. and I did not use your name in vain. Everything worked out to the good.

Last edited by Jeff Garner; 08-13-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Garner
8 lb sledge!!!? You didn't have to crush it like a beer can. and I did not use your name in vain. Everything worked out to the good.
I have a calibrated bicep.. as you well know sometimes you have to use what you have

Get notified of new replies

To Help!! Starter not tunring over...and at work of all places.

Quick Reply: Help!! Starter not tunring over...and at work of all places.