C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Electrical sys. help !!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Electrical sys. help !!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 63, and it has all new wiring harnesses. All the lights work, headlights go up & down. The radio is an after market and plugs into the stock plug 3 wires Battery-G- Ign.
So why will it not come on, with a test light I have power to the Ign. Wire but not to the battery wire. Also the ammeter gauge when you turn on the Ing. Switch it go’s down past the -40. So what should I check. Thank for any help
Richard
Old 08-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Rair67
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you have a short somewhere since the ammeter takes a severe dip when you turn the key on. Does this happen only when you try to start it? Does the starter click at all? You should have power right at the starter of course since the battery cable goes directly there. I would also check the ign switch and check each position with an ohmeter for contact closure. Also, have someone check voltage at the solenoid wire on the starter when you turn the key to start.

Good luck
Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 PM
365GTB4
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the car run? What is the amp meter pulling when the engine is running? Pull all the fuzes. See if you still have a high current draw. If so it's in the primary wiring circuit. If not replace the fuzes one at a time and see what circuit it is.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:53 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

I would check ALL the lights, horn, accessories, to see what does/not work...if there was a short to ground something would have already burnt...

Check the battery line to the radio,

Check the ammeter sense wires, look at the wiring diagram , AIRC they are black w/white trace
Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

Many aftermarket radios require an additional hot wire for memory that gets it's own 12V fused connection. Check the schematic that came with the radio and see if you are missing a wire. Pilot Dan
Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,126 Likes on 553 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Does the plug on the aftermarket radio connect directly to the original plug on the harness? No adapters?
If it does I would disconnect it, use three jumper leads between the plugs and remove one jumper and turn on the ignition. If the ammeter goes to -40 then reconnect and disconnect the next one until the meter does not move.
Let us know what terminal it is and what color wire it is on the radio. A picture of the set would also help.
Joe
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, some aftermarket radios are case grounded.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:21 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here’s what I did I unplugged the ign. Wire from the radio to the harness and ran
A wire from the ign. Switch to the ign. Wire on the radio. Works great. Oh yea
The battery needed charging also. And no the cars not running yet but very close. Thanks to all that replied.

[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical sys. help !!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Electrical sys. help !!!!!!!!!!!