C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Sway bar selection

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Default C2 Sway bar selection

Even though I had a 65 convertible in the 90s. I never did any modifications to it. My main chevy performance experiences were on Camaros,small and Big block.

I started my '63 restoration/build with a 70s Camaro mentality. Much heavier car,solid axle,weight distribution etc.. Which seems to be the wrong line of thinking for the Corvette

On the '63 I installed the addco 1 1/8 front bar and their 7/8 rear. Its does corner like it's on rails. But after hearing JohnZs advice and reading some threads on the subject, I feel I am over sway barred! All of that and the fact that rear bar hits my frame.The above are probably bigger than most race Corvettes.
I am thinking I will to go with the F-41 front and no rear bar. My 63 has stock spring rates front and rear. It has 225/55-17 tires all around and Edelbrock performer shocks. I want performance street driving and some autocross,track use.I like a boulevard ride,so I don't want to go to higher spring rates. The sway bar is the only area I want to adjust.

Advice on bar selection is welcome.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 08-05-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

If the rear bar hits the frame you can shim it out a little...check the CC catalog or whoever there are shims listed or make them.

Big bars do not affect how hard the car rides (the up and down motion of the springs)....but what is important is that they be matched front to rear for the handling properties you are looking for. Some setups are best w no rear bar. Check the other thread on "sway bar rubbing" and lots of info.

Last edited by mikem350; 08-05-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by mikem350
If the rear bar hits the frame you can shim it out a little...check the CC catalog or whoever there are shims listed or make them.

Big bars do not affect how hard the car rides (the up and down motion of the springs)....but what is important is that they be matched front to rear for the handling properties you are looking for.
I can create clearance for the bar. Shimming is not an option on this bar.
A rough ride was not my concern regarding large bars. I would like to get a close balance on oversteer vs. understeer as possible. But I am concerned the large bar combination might make it oversteer happy. I am used to the tail happy Porsche 911. And love that characteristic. But not sure how the Vette will react.
Pretty soon I will be able to put it to the test. I was hoping some members who have flogged the various combinations had some experience to share.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 08-05-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM
yukonranger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on your spring rates, you might find the 15/16" front bar works well with the 9/16" rear bar that was installed on big blocks.

Stiffer bars reduce independent wheel action. Like everything here is a balance between between springs and bars that is optimium. Of course the real answer to understeer is to replace block,heads, water pump etc with aluminium and perhaps some titanium rods as well.....
Old 08-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using a big block front and rear bar with a 330# composite spring and a 68 strut rod bracket which lowers the roll center. Just has 215/70/15 goodyears.

I've pushed the car very hard thru many on and off ramps and like the way it holds, seems to be pretty neutral.

Here's a reference about the strut rod bracket.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/vip.pdf

Last edited by Crazyhorse; 08-09-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by yukonranger
Depending on your spring rates, you might find the 15/16" front bar works well with the 9/16" rear bar that was installed on big blocks......
I concur. A little rear bar goes a long way. The basic handling characteristics should be determined by spring rate. Personally I think the stock C2 springs are way too soft and allow way too much roll. After the basic spring rate is determined, then suspension tuning is determined by use of sway bars. Springs, shocks and sway bars that have been engineered to work together as a package are much preferred.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Sway bar selection

Quick Reply: C2 Sway bar selection