Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Red Rocket
CF Senior Member

Default Jim's Corvettes Carbondale, Illinois

Anyone out there who knows of this Corvette shop in Carbondale, Illinois when it was in business in the early 70's. Not talking about the current Jim's Corvettes who's owned it since 1976.

Trying to locate owner information on a 1963 S/W that sold there in 1974.
Red Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
vette54758702
CF Senior Member

That is quite a ways south of me, but I'm wondering if the chamber of commerce could help you out... or maybe they have a visitors center that might know how to direct you... even a local library. Just a few thoughts... good luck.
vette54758702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Railroadman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

This one's so obvious you've probably covered it already, but in case not:

Since you're looking for info from '74, the current guy has owned it since '76, and it's the same name - how about asking the present owner who he bought the place from? And whether he has kept in touch? If the current owner is not a total AH he should be willing to help you if possible.

Just a thought - good luck!
Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Blk63Vette
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to Blk63Vette

Hello

I lived in Carbondale. IL. last summer i know where Jim's Corvette. There is a local restaurant where the "car clubs" get together called T-Birds. I would make inquires there. Alot of car people there..
Blk63Vette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Red Rocket
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroadman View Post
This one's so obvious you've probably covered it already, but in case not:

Since you're looking for info from '74, the current guy has owned it since '76, and it's the same name - how about asking the present owner who he bought the place from? And whether he has kept in touch? If the current owner is not a total AH he should be willing to help you if possible.

Just a thought - good luck!
Tried this approach with no success.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
Red Rocket
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk63Vette View Post
Hello

I lived in Carbondale. IL. last summer i know where Jim's Corvette. There is a local restaurant where the "car clubs" get together called T-Birds. I would make inquires there. Alot of car people there..
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a road trip from Dallas to Carbondale is needed
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
shooter1951
CF Senior Member

http://jscorvettes.com/

I know Jim and Karen who own J&S Corvette and have bought some Corvettes from him. I met Jim at Funfest back in 2004 and bought a 64 from him. Later I got a couple other Corvettes from Jim. Family owned, his boys helped him run the place, good kids. GREAT FAMILY!! He has several repeat customers and knows not just Corvettes but other classic cars. He is also involved in some of the local clubs and car shows so he knows the locals. If Jim knows ANYTHING about your 63 or the previous owner he'd tell you. Good luck, Shooter
shooter1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #8
mhanley
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket 396 View Post
Anyone out there who knows of this Corvette shop in Carbondale, Illinois when it was in business in the early 70's. Not talking about the current Jim's Corvettes who's owned it since 1976.

You might check with city or county records and see if they still might have some info ( business license, tax records, etc ) on who owned the business back then.

Just a thought, good luck

Mike
mhanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
wbear
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post

There was another shop in Carbondale in the 70's besides J&S Corvettes called Jim's Corvettes ran by Jim Lemanski (not sure on the correct spelling, Lamanski?). That's probably who you are talking about. It went out of business and the word on the street is he went to Chicago and may have had some sort of transplant?
wbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Bill Lacy
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocket View Post

I think the guy you are looking for is, Jim Lafferty or it maybe Laferdee. I'm not sure of the spelling. I know he is still around because I talked to him a couple of years ago at Bloomington Gold.
Bill Lacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
Blk63Vette
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to Blk63Vette
Default T birds

Click the image to open in full size.
Blk63Vette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
wbear
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lacy View Post
I think the guy you are looking for is, Jim Lafferty or it maybe Laferdee. I'm not sure of the spelling. I know he is still around because I talked to him a couple of years ago at Bloomington Gold.
Yeah thats the guy who had Jim's Corvettes. I thought his last name was Lemanski but it's Lafferty.
wbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
jstalcup

Default Carbondale Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbear View Post
Yeah thats the guy who had Jim's Corvettes. I thought his last name was Lemanski but it's Lafferty.
James C. Lafferty owned Carbondale Corvette on Hwy. 51 North in Carbondale, where Auffenberg's body shop is now. I used to date him. He is an absolute Corvette genius, as well as craftsman of antique wooden boats. You can probably find him in the Chicago suburb area now. If my guess is good, Naperville. What a sweet man.
jstalcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
Mailbu Beach
CF Member

Default Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalcup View Post
James C. Lafferty owned Carbondale Corvette on Hwy. 51 North in Carbondale, where Auffenberg's body shop is now. I used to date him. He is an absolute Corvette genius, as well as craftsman of antique wooden boats. You can probably find him in the Chicago suburb area now. If my guess is good, Naperville. What a sweet man.
Jim was around when I was at SIU in 70 - 74. He may have been a TKE as I saw him at the Fratenity house a few times. You could check their chapter records. I remember going for a ride in one of his C3's at the time.

Great guy!

Another guy from that time frame was Kenny Trout. Kenny went on to own & build Accel communications in Dallas.
Mailbu Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page Jim's Corvettes Carbondale, Illinois

Tags
carbondale, carbondaleil, corvete, corvett, corvette, corvettes, il, ill, jim, jims, js, lafferty, parts, shop, wwwjimscorvettescom