C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rocker offset question / problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:32 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Rocker offset question / problem

Looking for anyone and everyone who can explain why our rockers are offset.

I am getting a lot of great help with measurements from members including “out2kayak” who started the following thread with his project who suggested that I post this thread.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...free-bird.html

I have rebuilt most of the bird cage and it is “close” to being OK and can be fine with a
few tweaks with the right tools and/or shims. Mine was slide slammed sometime in it’s past but there is no documentation supporting that. I suspect that the bottom of my drivers hinge pillar is pushed in about 3/8”. The windshield frame measures fine on both cars.

The question: When I drop a plumb line from the top corner brackets of the windshield frame to the base line of the left and right rockers, there is an offset of as much as 1 1/2”
or less if you split the difference from left to right. Out2kayak has a photo in his thread showing that his is also offset. We cannot figure out why! Figuring that the cars are symmetrical left to right I can’t find anything causing this issue so there is doubt that there really is a problem?

Any comments?
Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I would think that the bodies of the cars are symmetrical from side to side.

I do know that the mounting brackets that attach in the inner fender wells for side exhaust shields are physically different for right and left; with an offset front to rear measurement on the bracket.

Maybe it is the inner fender wells that are different.

Rich

Last edited by BADBIRDCAGE; 07-13-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Your name says it all... bad bad birdy cage, .

I am really confused with the fact that I can't figure out where the offset is created! The doors seem to fit each side but what ever I am measuring is not where it is.

I will take a different approach tonight and measure from the windshield fame centerline to the outside. Up to now I have worked the full left to right sides.

It has to be there... I just got to find it. Another member told me, just make it fit!
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 AM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

BBCage, I agree with you now that I have exhausted every possible way of finding the difference between left and right.

Instead of checking the rocker offset, I looked into the hinge pillars and found that they are different from beyond the w/s frame outward. On mine, the drivers outer edge is 1" beyond the frame more than the pass side. Doing a crisss cross from the hinge bolts and metal stampings everything matches.

Search is done... time to move to the next part of the project.

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker offset question / problem

Quick Reply: Rocker offset question / problem