C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Barrett-Jackson prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Rock0324
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Barrett-Jackson prices

I am surprised at the prices some of these cars are selling for. Prices seem to be down, in Orange County anyway. There have been some very nice and clean care selling at reasonable prices. I wish they would come to the NY area. I still cant seem to find a good driver for under 40K. Most mid years on e-bay never sell, I think sellers are setting the reserve price too high.
(of course this post comes from someone looking to buy)
Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Hi Rock. I watched some of it last night too and had the same thought. There were a lot of cars that sold well below their restoration costs. Quite a few sellers took a real beating. I am in the same position as you and see the same cars failing to meet their reserve over and over. I have come across some decent buys but they were either just out of my reach price-wise (especially after adding shipping) or not quite what I am looking for. Good luck, be patient.
Mike
Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,162 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Anyone who consigned a Vette for sale in the Orange County BJ Auction should have expected a low price with it being held the same weekend the Bloomington event is scheduled. Fun to watch but not a good venue for a seller and far fewer Vettes than usual.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Anyone who consigned a Vette for sale in the Orange County BJ Auction should have expected a low price with it being held the same weekend the Bloomington event is scheduled. Fun to watch but not a good venue for a seller and far fewer Vettes than usual.
Correct, not to mention you can't judge prices on these cars from your couch. I've seen many of these cars in person at various BJ or Mecum Auctions and they had all kinds of issues. Many top flight cars that were done years ago with major paint issues, corrosion, etc. You really have to see these cars in person and make sure they are correct.

With that being said I thought something totally different. I saw many cars bringing over 100,000 to 150,000 plus at the Mecum Auction in Bloominton. Real cars seem to still bring stong money.

Again you have too see them in person to really know their value.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,351 Likes on 2,781 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock0324
I am surprised at the prices some of these cars are selling for. Prices seem to be down, in Orange County anyway. There have been some very nice and clean care selling at reasonable prices. I wish they would come to the NY area. I still cant seem to find a good driver for under 40K. Most mid years on e-bay never sell, I think sellers are setting the reserve price too high.
(of course this post comes from someone looking to buy)
There were midyear drivers at Bloomington last week for under $40k.

Also, dont be confused by ebay non-sales. Most cars on ebay that do sell, sell after the auction end or are sold after the seller agrees to end the auction. Thats how the majority of ebay transactions regarding these cars play out.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
RTTN 1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did notice that prices for Pontiac Trans Ams were on the rise.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
There were midyear drivers at Bloomington last week for under $40k.

Also, dont be confused by ebay non-sales. Most cars on ebay that do sell, sell after the auction end or are sold after the seller agrees to end the auction. Thats how the majority of ebay transactions regarding these cars play out.

Yes, heard the prices at Bloomington were also low and not many cars moved.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE385
Correct, not to mention you can't judge prices on these cars from your couch. I've seen many of these cars in person at various BJ or Mecum Auctions and they had all kinds of issues. Many top flight cars that were done years ago with major paint issues, corrosion, etc. You really have to see these cars in person and make sure they are correct.

With that being said I thought something totally different. I saw many cars bringing over 100,000 to 150,000 plus at the Mecum Auction in Bloominton. Real cars seem to still bring stong money.

Again you have too see them in person to really know their value.
I posted this in the C1 section and no one commented. I'll repost it here.

My wife and I were at the BJ auction most of the day yesterday (Saturday). We looked at both of the C2 cars linked a few posts ago. The marina blue car looked pretty rough in person...no, very rough. I'm surprised it got that much.

When we were ready to leave my wife wanted to know if we missed a tent or two, because she felt that the bulk of the cars at the auction were more driver quality than quality restorations. She likes the baby birds and none of them were top quality restorations we are used to seeing in Scottsdale.

Most people we ran in to were saying they wouldn't take a chance selling their cars at a no reserve new auction and felt the bulk of what we saw were cars being sold by owners who need the money right now no matter what. The real nice cars were at home safely under car covers.

The Bloomington C2 looked like a very old restoration if it was restored at all. Nicer condition cars have been seen at local cruise nights.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 AM
jeddi
Intermediate

I live in the Bay Area and I'm in the market for a driver 63-67 Convertible for around 30k. Where do you guys suggest that I look?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:37 AM
JOEY CARTEE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Im keeping them!!!!!

I continually hope forever the prices come back to earth as they should.... Go play in the stock market and leave our corvette hobby alone.... You deep pocket dummies!!!!!!! Of course that is none on this forum!! I hope to have one of all generations in my garage like cape does... The money hunters have no passion for the corvette!!!!!Just the bucks!!!!! I remember like last saturday nite taken the wifeof 11 yrs for her first spin in MY 71(NOT FER SALE EVER 23yrs) with the 468 and shes hooked.... Damn what a rush!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

2002, prices haven't dropped that far yet, might be able to get a '64 'vert driver for mid $30's
Originally Posted by jeddi
I live in the Bay Area and I'm in the market for a driver 63-67 Convertible for around 30k. Where do you guys suggest that I look?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
jet2vettes
Racer

Maybe its just me, but I still think the prices for most classic cars are too high. Prices appeared to have been fueled by empty nest baby boomers in the early part of the decade and encouraged by the televised auctions. I'm 50 years old make a good living and when I see some of these prices I have to wonder who has the extra $30 to 50+/-K when kids are going to college and the stock market is treading water. No mention of the real estate market. I wonder if I'm in the minority. Any thoughts.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
mscaggs
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if it's having an extra $30 to 50+/-K just laying around that causes us to buy these cars, for me it is a life long passion. Lots of people spend that much on RVs, Bass Boats, You name it... So if a vintage car is your passion live life and enjoy what you have now...
Old 06-29-2010, 03:04 PM
fred kay
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Default vette market prices

I'm retiring tomorrow (last day in June). I've been looking for a nice driver 65-66 coupe with a/c for quite some time and have noticed that the same car s appear over and over with no reduction in price, yet the opening price never changes. I was willing to pay the opening price even after the 4th listing and the owner refused to sell. I was going to fly to see vette and pay for shipping. The market obviously is telling him something (this is what the car is worth!) Ill continue my quest and will find my vette.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
mscaggs
Burning Brakes

If a car is on the market too long it should send out a red flag that something may be going on with it. Price too high, or worse, rust bucket..etc... Gotta be careful. Sometimes spending just a tad more buys you way more car.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Most of the owners still asking the high prices are not going by todays market prices but what they paid for their car a few years ago.

I made a offer a couple weeks ago for what was a fair price for todays market. The seller said man I can't sell it for that. I would lose over $10,000 from what I paid for it 4 years ago.

Most are trying to get out what they paid for them but they got caught buying at the wrong time.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:42 PM
a560156
Drifting

Originally Posted by JOEY CARTEE
The money hunters have no passion for the corvette!!!!!Just the bucks!!!!!
Please help me understand the statement above. Are you saying that wealthy (whatever that definition may be) individuals do not have a passion for corvettes? To what empirical data are you referring with this generalization?

Get notified of new replies

To Barrett-Jackson prices

Old 06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Jim1347
Heel & Toe

Default Wishful Thinking

Evening Gents:

Let me say this , My C-2 is on this forum for sale . I started out a bit high , then when the NCRS pros were finished with me , I lowered my price 10K . ""Not Enough"" , I've received several calls , from as far away as Europe , folks wanting my car , but also wanting it at their price . Where can you find a show quality , drivable , Frame Off Resto . for 50K . I admit , it's not in the class as a Numbers Matching ????,totally original untouched car, however it is mostly original , and absolutely beautiful . From the onset , I never gave the imperssion that I was selling a ""Barn find"" 300 original miles , 375 Fulie , with tanker option , ( But that's what the callers wanted . ) . Nearly demanded . But as would have it , there were a few that understood exactly what I had / Have for sale. We all want the biggest bang for our buck , but reality say's , It's not what you want , But rather what's available . Nothing finer than crusing on friday nights ,and having the ladies show their """Appreciation """, It's fantastic . Goes to show old farts with a great C-2 can still turn heads . Keep lookin folks . There's always something lurking in the shadows .

Jim
Old 07-01-2010, 09:55 AM
JOEY CARTEE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by a560156
Please help me understand the statement above. Are you saying that wealthy (whatever that definition may be) individuals do not have a passion for corvettes? To what empirical data are you referring with this generalization?

Sorry for any confusion i may have given you... My thoughts were not that wealthy dont have PASSION for the corvette.. It was that the Auction car flipping tom foolery that has driven the prices sky Freakin high in there quest to possibly pull the wool over some poor saps eyes and make it even harder for the rest of us who eat sleep and breath corvette to attain the car of their dreams.... Only while they are making BUCKS!!!! hope that helps...
Old 07-01-2010, 10:14 AM
mscaggs
Burning Brakes

I think the televised auctions have exposed the cars and muscle car hobby to many people who now want to join in. They probably have helped raise the market value for sure but the whole real estate boom helped too as money was so easy to get and people were spending that virtual equity like there was no tomorrow. Now that has come to a screeching halt the prices are falling. I am seeing this in the vintage guitar world too, but that’s a whole other topic. I think the bottom line is when the economy is kicking butt these vintage Corvettes will reflect that in their values but as long as we are where we are now the prices will continue to soften. Long term owners like in real estate are probably going to be just fine.

Quick Reply: Barrett-Jackson prices