C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I Survived a Rear End Collision

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 AM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I Survived a Rear End Collision

Yesterday I finished up some minor work on my 65 coupe and parked it on the driveway while I cleaned up the garage. Having some small errands to run, I planned on taking the short excursion in the Sting Ray but decided to drive my Chevy Tahoe instead. This decision saved my life. While stopped at a red light, I was struck in the rear by a truck traveling about 60 mph. The impact drove my Tahoe through the intersection and beyond. I recall my head slamming like a basketball into the Tahoe's high back seat and headrest. Although I was wearing the seatbelt/harness, my body flew forward which inverted the steering wheel. The airbags never deployed. The frame of the Tahoe looked like an inverted "V". All doors were jammed shut and the power windows were frozen in place. I moved into the passenger's seat and kicked the door open. Looking back into the cockpit, I saw the driver's seat back completely broken and was reclined to the rear. That seat and headrest saved my life, Had I been sitting in my C2 coupe with the original low back seats and no shoulder harness, my neck would have broken and I would either be dead or looking for a wheelchair. If you have ever considered upgrading your seats to later model Corvette seats or after-market race seats, I urge you to followup on your thoughts. Not everyone out there drives as carefully as we do with our classics. Your accident may not be your fault. Be careful out there. Sorry about the sprlling; its hard to type with broken fingers.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So glad to hear you are ok, scary out on the roads. I imagine a rear end accident that bad with my head rolling down the back of the car. You must have a guardian angel!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 AM
63 corvette
Instructor

Glad you survived and good you were in the Tahoe. Your C2 would have been gone and as you said you too! You are going to hurt for quite awhile and I hope you are back to normal soon. Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,777 Likes on 1,676 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad the outcome for you was good (if you can call that good).

Soooooooooooooooo, what was the deal with the truck driver from behind-----------------texting his girlfriend????????????

Tom Parsons
Old 06-23-2010, 10:11 AM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Soooooooooooooooo, what was the deal with the truck driver from behind-----------------texting his girlfriend????????????
I think the younger folks call it PHONE TEX

In all seriousness, soooo glad you were in the vehicle you were in, for multiple reasons. More importantly, real glad you are OK.

RK
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

You are darn lucky...doubly so since you didn't get T-boned by somebody as you were propelled through the intersection. Wife and I were thinking of 'downsizing' our primary car but you almost have to have a beefy SUV today in self defense...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,340 Likes on 972 Posts

Default Phone texting

Glad you had the Tahoe and are OK. If the guy was texting, I would think that the phone must have been embedded in his head with the airbag and crash at 60mph. Jerry
Old 06-23-2010, 11:07 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,296 Likes on 1,697 Posts

exact same story in our local paper this morning, Northridge CA, two days ago. 0730 hours, 61 year old lady in Infiniti SUV minding her own business waiting for through traffic so she could make left turn. Suddenly knocked across the intersection by 31 year old female driver in Mercedes that must have been doing 50 coming up from behind her, and probably texting (?).
Infiniti was smashed and burned up, as was the poor utterly innocent driver.
With everyone in a god awful hurry these days, and everyone talking on the phone if not texting while driving, it is a very dangerous scene on our roads these days. Practice defensive driving to the max.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad to hear that your OK. Lots of dumb azzes on the road doing everything but driving!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm glad you survived... too many idiots on the roads today paying more attention to the cell phone, mp3 players or gps then actually driving...
Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 PM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Scary story…. Fatefull decision to take the Tahoe. We never think about how our lives can change in a second…until we have a close call or see something happen to someone else. I hope they lock up the moron that hit you.

Joe
Old 06-23-2010, 04:42 PM
mike gleason
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My god!! Thank God you can still type and still walk!

I don't hand out too many good driving awards anymore but when reading something like this it makes me want to fill the city coffers with these idiot's money for their **** poor driving.

Thank God your okay and hopefully the investigating officer cited this person appropriately.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

i hope Kensmith reads this...
Bill
Old 06-23-2010, 05:27 PM
92GTA
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW! Super glad to hear you are ok! I can't believe the airbag never deployed!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I've been rear-ended twice in my C2. Once at about 10 mph, rolled the car forward and bent the rear bumpers up a bit. I was under 30 and had no ill effects.

Almost a decade later I was last in line, waiting for a red light at the bottom of the hill. In ny rearview miror I saw a Chevelle burst over the hilltop, heading straight for me. No way to properly warn the cars in front of me so I stood on the brakes and braced myself for at least a 30 mph impact..

WHAM! Felt just like a bumper-car ride, only BIG. The Chevelle pushed my car on locked wheels and tires into the car in front. Considerable damage to front and rear 'glass, but drivable. I felt okay, as in the previous accident. Woman driving the Chevelle was an IBM rep on company business, so unlimited insurance coverage.

Seven days later I woke up with the mother of all whiplash. Took months of therapy to get my neck and attached parts halfway back, the older you are the less it takes to hurt you. Thirty years later I'm at 90%.

Lessons learned, try to relax your body when you see a crash coming (that's why drunks survive so many bad ones), let your car be free to roll and absorb force that way, and get to a chiropractor for X-rays and preventive therapy ASAP.

Last edited by sub006; 06-23-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:58 PM
LSUvetteguy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I've installed 66 headrests in my 65 and I'm adding shoulder belts as well.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:14 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SherpaPilot
Yesterday I finished up some minor work on my 65 coupe and parked it on the driveway while I cleaned up the garage. Having some small errands to run, I planned on taking the short excursion in the Sting Ray but decided to drive my Chevy Tahoe instead. This decision saved my life. While stopped at a red light, I was struck in the rear by a truck traveling about 60 mph. The impact drove my Tahoe through the intersection and beyond. I recall my head slamming like a basketball into the Tahoe's high back seat and headrest. Although I was wearing the seatbelt/harness, my body flew forward which inverted the steering wheel. The airbags never deployed. The frame of the Tahoe looked like an inverted "V". All doors were jammed shut and the power windows were frozen in place. I moved into the passenger's seat and kicked the door open. Looking back into the cockpit, I saw the driver's seat back completely broken and was reclined to the rear. That seat and headrest saved my life, Had I been sitting in my C2 coupe with the original low back seats and no shoulder harness, my neck would have broken and I would either be dead or looking for a wheelchair. If you have ever considered upgrading your seats to later model Corvette seats or after-market race seats, I urge you to followup on your thoughts. Not everyone out there drives as carefully as we do with our classics. Your accident may not be your fault. Be careful out there. Sorry about the sprlling; its hard to type with broken fingers.
Glad to hear you are OK. I had an amazingly similar crash in Oct. 1999. I was driving on Rt 80 in NJ and traffic suddenly stopped because a truck pulled out from behind the barriers at a construction zone. I was in a 2 month old 1999 Tahoe . The traffic at the time was moving at 70-75 mph. It was on a curve with out any warning signs. Every one had to stop short. I did , but the 5 ton Dover Elevator truck be hind me did not. When I saw him, he was 150-200 feet behind, it took less than 1/2 second for him to hit. The impact knocked me out and when I came to I was in the back seat. All 6 doors on the truck would not shut, the 2 trucks frames hit perfectly together shooting my truck like a pool ball forward.

The insurance company had the truck repaired, I guess righting off $50 G was not profitable. It took 5 months and none of the door gaps looked right.

I ended up with neck and back injuries that took a year to to become tolerable and short term memory loss that was really bad for 3 years. It took 8 years for me to be able to pull out of my driveway and be able to look left, right, left, right, left and pull out without passing out.

And they say my racing is dangerous.

Back to the 1999 Tahoe and rear end collisions, If my granddaughter was in an car seat behind the drivers seat, she would have been killed. Think of that when putting kids seats in your cars behind the front seats.

Which generation Tahoe did you have??

Get notified of new replies

To I Survived a Rear End Collision

Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Curvette1
Safety Car

Received 182 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I am so glad you are OK,...that must have been so frightening !! Do you replay it when going to sleep?? I hope not.
Glad you were in your Tahoe..I love mine, and THAT is the reason. I feel safe...safer.

Again glad you are OK.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 PM
SherpaPilot
Instructor

Default Follow-up

Thanks for all the messages of support. My Tahoe is totaled but I was able to walk away. As far as my C2 is concerned, I plan on researching race quality buckets to replace the originals on a temporary basis. When I sell the car, I can offer up the originals to the new owner. This experience could happen to any one of us without any warning at any momment. You never know when you crawl into your car if it will be the last time.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Easy Rider 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Curvette1
I am so glad you are OK,...that must have been so frightening !! Do you replay it when going to sleep?? I hope not.
Glad you were in your Tahoe..I love mine, and THAT is the reason. I feel safe...safer.

Again glad you are OK.
I would be upset if I had a Tahoe. The bags didnt deploy at 60mph?
Curvette, take yours to the dealer and have them checked if you want to feel safer. We all rely on them and assume they will work, so a safety check once in a while wouldnt hurt.
Mike

Quick Reply: I Survived a Rear End Collision