C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Baffled by brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:37 PM
cefolar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baffled by brakes...

I am reaching out to the ever wise community for some help with the brakes on my '61 Resto-rod. They have been driving me absolutely nuts.

First it is a power disc conversion - with an 8" booster and standard 2 chamber master cylinder with a GM Disc/Disc proportioning valve. All parts are brand new (or as a friend says "untested"). I bench bled the master cylinder and adjusted the pushrod and everything seems to be mechanically fine. Here are my 2 issues:

#1 - can't get the rears bled. I have bled them several times and can't seem to get a hydraulic "push" to the rear circuit. When I crack the bleeders I get a slow stream of fluid and the pedal does not "drop". Front circuit bleeds fine, I get good hydraulic pressure and pedal drops when the bleeders are cracked. There are no visible leaks in the circuit from the M/C to the back brakes. My guess is that there is a leak somewhere (possibly just air) that is not letting the rear circuit pressurize. To that end....

#2 - to try and diagnose the problem I disconnected the rear circuit and plugged the outlet in the M/C. As suspected I get a good solid pedal to the front circuit....awesome. I took it for a short test drive around the block to see how just the fronts felt. GREAT - until I shut the car off. When I refired it to pull down the driveway I had a completely solid pedal and NO brakes at all until a couple quick pedal pumps and then they came in again.

I'll take any ideas I can get....I have read a bunch of the other threads and don't think it is the proportioning valve, but I'm willing to try anything at this point.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:53 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

This is from the left field - simply guessing crowd - but #2 sounds like the master cylinder is still not fully bleed of air or has faulty seals on the pistons (bad Master Cylinder).
Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

try bleeding from every connection from the m/c to the rear brakes and see if you get fluid.
Bill
Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

some caliper bleed screws need to be positioned downward in order to bleed correctly. Can't be done bolted up in normal position otherwise air remains trapped.

The angle of the bleeder screw on some calipers do not allow all the air out when the caliper is bolted on. You need to take the caliper off and turn the whole caliper in a position that allows it to let all the air out. After its bled then bolt it back on.

Last edited by GCD1962; 06-21-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by cefolar
First it is a power disc conversion - with an 8" booster and standard 2 chamber master cylinder with a GM Disc/Disc proportioning valve.
You mention that you are using a Disc/Disc proportioning valve. Is your car using only front disc's or is it 4-wheel discs?

Is this "proportioning valve" from a 4-wheel disc C2-C3 Corvette? Corvette 4-wheel discs are really proportioned mechanically by the use of different sized pistons in the front and rear calipers.

If it is from a C2-C3 Corvette, this is not really a proportioning valve, it is really a distribution block that has a valve in it to isolate the front/rear from the master cylinder if it detects a leak in the front or rear system. Normally this would be obvious because the valve would turn the brake light on. If the brake light is not connected in your car you might not be able to tell very easily except that one side of the valve would have little pressure directed to it.

If you are using a real proportioning valve such as this...

you may have it adjusted to not allow enough pressure to the rear brakes.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
try bleeding from every connection from the m/c to the rear brakes and see if you get fluid.
Bill
Good place to start. Right here.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 PM
cefolar
Instructor

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
You mention that you are using a Disc/Disc proportioning valve. Is your car using only front disc's or is it 4-wheel discs?

If it is from a C2-C3 Corvette, this is not really a proportioning valve, it is really a distribution block that has a valve in it to isolate the front/rear from the master cylinder if it detects a leak in the front or rear system.
I converted to 4-wheel discs. I tried "resetting" by relieving pressure from the fronts and then moving to the backs (I have had success with that on other C3s), but didn't get anywhere with that. I am wondering if I should just scrap the prop. valve/dist. block all together? Or maybe move to a manual one like you have pictured. Do you think there would be a big issue not using a prop. valve at all?

Originally Posted by wmf62
I am getting fluid from the rear calipers, just not with much force. I was on the road of trying this by "capping" each connection one at a time from the M/C back until the pedal got spongy. I started by capping the rear M/C circuit and have a solid pedal. I was going to move to the dist. block rear connection next.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:28 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

FWIW, i have 4-wheel discs on my 62 and i don't use a proportioning valve and haven't had any problems.
Bill
Old 06-21-2010, 07:14 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

I am getting fluid from the rear calipers, just not with much force. I was on the road of trying this by "capping" each connection one at a time from the M/C back until the pedal got spongy. I started by capping the rear M/C circuit and have a solid pedal. I was going to move to the dist. block rear connection next.
I don't think blocking the flow will tell you anything. Flow is what you're looking for. If you crack a line open and have no flow at some point, you've likely found the source of your problem.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 AM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

GREAT - until I shut the car off. When I refired it to pull down the driveway I had a completely solid pedal and NO brakes at all until a couple quick pedal pumps and then they came in again.
No brakes? I'd get rid of that master cylinder.

Last edited by mashinter; 06-21-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mashinter
No brakes? I'd get rid of that master cylinder.
Kinda' looking like a possibility.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I have discs only in the front on my '61 (drums in rear) with an original M/C and NO proportioning valve. Car stops just fine.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 AM
cefolar
Instructor

I think I'll start by scrapping the distribution block and go from there. Thanks a ton as always for the input.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:15 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

I think I'll start by scrapping the distribution block and go from there. Thanks a ton as always for the input.
Any possibility you have that block plumbed wrong?
Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

If you can at least bypass the rear circuit of the distribution block by going directly from the master cylinder to the rear calipers it would tell you if the distribution block was the problem or point to the master cylinder.

As for the need of a distribution block, other than looking good, it's primary purpose is to locate a switch to inform you if there is a pressure differential between the front and rear circuit. Did you use a new distribution block? If not, it's possible the distribution block has the valve stuck in one direction. As you mentioned, typically if you relieve the pressure on one side or the other it will try to center the valve. But without a warning circuit to inform you it could be difficult to tell if the valve recenters.

Good luck... GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To Baffled by brakes...

Quick Reply: Baffled by brakes...